Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn state online...
Wanted to get some opinions. The field that I'm going into requires a masters degree and is pretty competitive.

Everyone that I've talked to at the places I want to work, have not only highly ranked masters for our field, but also their bachelors degrees are from at least top 50 schools.

The Penn State degree, you get the same degree as those who are on campus.

It would add another 2 years to my undergrad and then 2 years for my masters. I just turned 39. Do you think its worth it to get a degree from Penn State or should I just continue with my original plan and complete my masters in 2 years and just do a lot of internships?

Thanks for any opinions/advice in advance.
4 more years in total is a lot of time and represents a high opportunity cost.
There is a thread on degreeinfo.com about the PSU Global Campus degree and many say that you must put Global Campus on your resume but I am not convinced of that.
PSU is highly regarded but expensive. I am from PA and it was my default choice for college until my family moved to FL. My brother spent one year at PSU and his tuition for that year were 3x the tuition at Florida state schools so he just switched to USF and picked up a masters there.

Maybe you should finish your undergrad from TESC, a state school, and then do your masters at PSU? What masters are we talking about?
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
LOC4ME Wrote:Wanted to get some opinions. The field that I'm going into requires a masters degree and is pretty competitive.

Everyone that I've talked to at the places I want to work, have not only highly ranked masters for our field, but also their bachelors degrees are from at least top 50 schools.

The Penn State degree, you get the same degree as those who are on campus.

It would add another 2 years to my undergrad and then 2 years for my masters. I just turned 39. Do you think its worth it to get a degree from Penn State or should I just continue with my original plan and complete my masters in 2 years and just do a lot of internships?

Thanks for any opinions/advice in advance.

I agree with Ryoder. Finish your undergrad as cheaply as possible and use that money on a grad degree. Besides if you are just entering the field, even with a PSU degree you might have to do a few internships.
Not to take this thread off-topic, but here is some information which may be helpful regarding the resume concern raised by Ryoder:

PENN STATE | ONLINE - Ask a Question

Basically, it states that the transcript and diploma will be the same as any PSU graduate and will not indicate online studies.

Best wishes on your decision!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Phew Penn State is expensive O_O

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
I enjoyed how ryoder threw out "opportunity cost"....you get that at one uh dem der fancy schools. SmileSmile

At 40, and with kids either in or soon to be in college the choice has come down to money for me. If I was 10 years younger I might at least look at a top name state school...but the cost in time and money is too high.

I would finish your Batchelors at one of the big three and fins a respectable state U online to pursue graduate studies. (thats my plan at least). Be sure to include any coursework that a future masters might require as part of your Batchelors process. I'm scrambling a bit to add accounting, finance, and statistics to my transcripts so that i can qualify for admission to my chosen Masters program.

What masters are you looking at? I found out lst night that North and South Dakota State both have AACBS (is that the right acronym?) accredited MBA's cheap and fully online. You can tell future recruiters how tough it was going to school in the snow...builds character and all that Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
[QUOTE=rebel100I found out lst night that North and South Dakota State both have AACBS (is that the right acronym?) accredited MBA's cheap and fully online. You can tell future recruiters how tough it was going to school in the snow...builds character and all that :)[/QUOTE]

I'm doing UND's MBA right now and with fees factored in it'll run you around $415 a CH. Lectures are streaming and they require proctored exams, at least so far. They offer 2 concentrations, accounting and international business, as well as the general MBA.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
PSU is a great college in terms of distinction and is cheaper than what I have been looking at for Ga. Tech or possibly JHU, those are both over $1K a credit.
$1k a credit! Whoa! Back in the day I paid $55 per credit at USF!
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
@LOC4ME
I will jump back in to say that I too considered the PSU undergrad, but ruled it out due to price. Why pay all that money when you don't have to. In the end it's a regionally accredited degree, just like TESC, EC and COSC and if the places I have talked to like Ga Tech, Johns Hopkins, and a few others will accept a degree if I get it there, then I just don't see how it matters.
So what masters do you need?

Also as a side if name means anything, try the Harvard Univ Extension
Harvard Extension School : Campus & Online Classes, Degrees, Certificates

Undergrad classes are $975-1100 depending on class, and grad are around $1900-1950 making it a fantastic name thats cheaper than PSU if liberal arts degree's are what you need.
Only draw back is, short residency requirements, usually done over a summer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,200 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,765 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,933 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,392 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,834 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  Online Course Finder launching. This might interest you if you're in California jsh1138 13 3,085 06-01-2018, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Feelings about TESU / online schools Ideas 22 5,275 05-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP! DeterminedStudent 28 5,934 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Biology degree online can it be done? Tennesseegirl87 33 7,309 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  The highest paid graduates by state (Big 3 included) Life Long Learning 3 1,859 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512