Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Students
Thumbs Down 
I would love to study something new every day for the rest of my life if I could. However, something I will never understand is the perpetual student that continually needs to amass credits and debt, yet doesn't ever get a new job or progress his or her career.

My husband's ex has 3 undergraduate degrees and a master's degree and finally got a full-time job in her late 40's.  Her school time was not a huge issue until she got divorced and kept going to school even though she had no reason (or money) to do so.   In fact, even though she finally got a decent job, she is so mired in debt that she lives on dried beans and charges my step-daughter sky-high rent just to make ends meet.    (My stepdaughter is barely 18 and autistic to the point of almost being disabled.  She could live with us for free, but after living with us her whole life, she wants to spend time with her mom.)

The latest annoyance is a friend who has 180 B&M credits from very good schools and just went back to a for-profit online school, today is taking a whole slew of business 101-type classes.    I have already told her that I will volunteer to fill out all paperwork and help her with one of the Big 3 schools in order to help her see how quickly she can graduate.   I even pointed out to my friend that if she's going to spend more money on school, it should be at the graduate level, and that btw real-life experience at her age counts a LOT more than a business degree.   But she LOVES to be in school and has been posting on Facebook and getting so many congratulations and motivational messages.    "Good for you.. so smart that you're doing something positive in your life!"  Etc..

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but these are just two examples of people close to me.  I am all about studying when you want to, and I really believe that the US has a lot of problems with higher ed.  But OMG going into debt for study that serves no real purpose is infuriating.    Am I being a grump about this or what is the purpose of being a perpetual student when  you can't afford it?    Is it just an escape from reality?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I don't believe you're being a grump. I personally don't see the point of multiple undergrad degrees, especially if you're going into debt for them.
Edit: Another undergrad degree is OK if you're switching careers.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • burbuja0512
It's a way to avoid responsibility while putting a good face on for friends and family. They don't have to hold a real job, or have a real, adult place to live because they are students. Sadly, a real job would be easier than dealing with classes and crushing debt.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • Ares, burbuja0512, jsd, quigongene
@quigongene - yes, I agree a career switch is a real reason to pursue additional education. I also think hey, why not, if you just have enough money not to work. Would be nice! LOL

@Davewill - Yes, I call it the "when I graduate fantasy." In this fantasy, everything is amazing and will happen to you at some time in the distant future. When that time comes closer, people either have to face the reality of creating their own post-grad life, or they could just re-enroll to continue perpetuating the fantasy.

I definitely view this as the opposite of what most people here do. We all love to learn, but are going on the cheap, testing and finding cheap credits. Even the worst education addiction here wouldn't be too bad! I am truly only referring to the expensive degrees.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • natshar
Getting one BA/BS degree might be considered a "need" more than a want. Getting multiple degrees, esp at the BA/BS level is a luxury that you should be paying cash for - it you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be doing it.

These days, you can easily learn all kinds of new things for free or very cheaply if that's what you want. To pay money that you don't have to get a degree (in the cases you sited) is just silly. I agree with davewill that they are avoiding responsibility and "real life" by doing this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512, quigongene
(01-07-2019, 09:03 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote:   Is it just an escape from reality?

For someone with plenty of education already? Yes. Doing what young people do makes older people feel young. Going to school is what young people do, so when adults do it, it feels youthful and ambitious. I'm not talking about someone's first degree, I think that's an entirely different thing, but I do think what you describe is indulgent and lacks maturity BECAUSE it is at not only an opportunity cost (which if fine- live life, be happy) but because it involves debt which creates a ripple effect and burden on those around the person (like your stepdaughter).

IMO you should just vent here, my money is on them going forward no matter what you say. Wink
Whats crazier is people who seem to be perpetual students and still have no degree. I know someone who has been in school for like seven years straight at least three different schools and no degree of any kind! Those people really should check out the big three or the BOG AAS to least have something.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • burbuja0512, Life Long Learning
Thanks for letting me vent guys.

@Jen - yes, I think you're right about the youthful thing. My husband's ex has never wanted to grow up and I've gotten so many texts lately from my stepdaughter and the issues they're having because of the student loan debt and how it has affected them. (Oh and her mom wants to take more classes but can't afford it. I stupidly suggested testing as a fun way to learn, but my stepdaughter was scolded and told that in their house, they do "real" education. OMG.. glad that's working out for her)

@Natshar - the second person I mentioned is EXACTLY who you're talking about! 180 credits should add up to a degree, even if a few UL credits or a capstone is needed in addition. I'm just glad I posted this here instead of replying to one of the many "you can do it, you're awesome" posts that my friend is getting on Facebook. I've said my piece and if she's not interested in graduating, then why do I care? I don't know why the motivational posts annoy me.. I guess it just feels like a waste of talent and money. Learning is never a waste, but being stuck at low-level job when you have more than enough credits for a diploma is so frustrating.

Thanks again guys Smile
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa
I have a friend who is married and has three kids. They live with her parents. Her husband is in college right now at a nationally accredited diploma mill. He will owe over $200k when he graduates if he only took loans out for tuition and not for living expenses.

We live in Central Florida. There is no way they will ever be able to afford to move out. He won't even be able to find a job in the field he is training in. He'll be lucky to get his old trucking job back, just now he'll have a $2600 monthly payment to make.

I get so frustrated with stupidity.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • burbuja0512
Jenniferinfl Wrote:... Her husband is in college right now at a nationally accredited diploma mill. He will owe over $200k when he graduates...

I get so frustrated with stupidity.

OMG, Amazing... Just wow! I wouldn't even touch such a school with a 10 foot pole!
That money could have been used for so many things other than that worthless piece of paper!
Which school and which program is he in? People need to be aware of these.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • burbuja0512

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,059 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 521 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,046 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 588 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE NAMES ST. NICHOLAS BURRUS AND EDWIN DUARTE JR. 2020 STUDENTS OF THE YEAR ashkir 7 1,179 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Stimulus Payments & College Students Alpha 5 1,360 03-31-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters allvia 8 2,457 03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,219 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Spain Park High School Students sanantone 1 1,190 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock