Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS 2020
(07-31-2020, 12:47 PM)TwinMom Wrote: "I've been looking over the requirements, and it's not very clear.  For example, they don't seem to accept any science courses without labs."

Was this mentioned at all?  Or did you already have labs done?

Hi 

All of the below courses were accepted toward my BOG AAS Pierpont. I had a number of Sophia courses and they accepted them all including the English foundations course which came in as: ENGL 1104 Written English I CR 3.000 0.00

SCI 1999 Environmental Science CR 3.000 0.00
BIOY 1999 Human Biology CR 3.000 0.00
[size=undefined]MTH 1999 Foundations of Statistics CR [/size]2.000 0.00
[size=undefined][size=undefined]
 [/size]

[/size]

[size=undefined]
 [/size]
(08-16-2020, 06:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ctcarl, it's going to be a hard decision to decide which would be the best or most viable option for your family member.  There are a few things I would do to see which would be better.  What you might want to do is compare the requirements and see if your family member can work on the requirements that apply to all three offerings.

You need to compile a spreadsheet or a table and see what the requirements are, transfer options, test out options and costs, etc, find the one that suits you and the person looking to finish an Associates.  I would recommend going for the community college option first as you should have a significant discount on the tuition, furthermore, the cornerstone course is a simple "college readiness/success" course, so don't worry about it too much.

I would then flip the coin between the BOG AAS and COSC AA/AS, both of them again, have a cornerstone which is pretty much the college readiness/success courses you will see at most community colleges.  It's not too much of an issue to just complete that course.  Take your time to get RA credits slowly and transfer the max into the degree you select.

D'oh!  I wasn't aware that the Pierpont BOG had a cornerstone.  I was going by this page, but it certainly could have changed.  Unless you're talking about the Portfolio Development course?  I thought that you were just required to take a course with them, any course, in order to get a transcript if you wanted one.

I have to admit, I don't know much about COSC's cornerstone course, but I was told that it involves papers, assignments, quizzes, and classroom participation posts and responses on 2-3 topics per week, with MLA citations, which makes it sound like considerably more of a slog than a one-credit course at Pierpont.

I'll have to look at the costs and degree requirements for COSC again.  I thought COSC was significantly more expensive, and I wasn't seriously considering them because of the cornerstone requirement.  Plus we'd still need the same RA credits as Pierpont.

(08-17-2020, 08:17 AM)Jimmyd Wrote: Hi 

All of the below courses were accepted toward my BOG AAS Pierpont. I had a number of Sophia courses and they accepted them all including the English foundations course which came in as: ENGL 1104 Written English I CR 3.000 0.00

[/size]

[/size]

[size=undefined]
 [/size]

Thanks, Jimmy, this is very helpful!

Did you get a transcript? If so, what course did you take from Pierpont to qualify? Was there a cornerstone?
I don't think anybody that's gotten a AAS from Pierpont has mentioned a cornerstone. Taking one class to be able to get the transcript isn't the same (IMO) as requiring a cornerstone since that one class can be anything, as far as I know.
(08-17-2020, 12:42 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 06:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ctcarl, it's going to be a hard decision to decide which would be the best or most viable option for your family member.  There are a few things I would do to see which would be better.  What you might want to do is compare the requirements and see if your family member can work on the requirements that apply to all three offerings.

You need to compile a spreadsheet or a table and see what the requirements are, transfer options, test out options and costs, etc, find the one that suits you and the person looking to finish an Associates.  I would recommend going for the community college option first as you should have a significant discount on the tuition, furthermore, the cornerstone course is a simple "college readiness/success" course, so don't worry about it too much.

I would then flip the coin between the BOG AAS and COSC AA/AS, both of them again, have a cornerstone which is pretty much the college readiness/success courses you will see at most community colleges.  It's not too much of an issue to just complete that course.  Take your time to get RA credits slowly and transfer the max into the degree you select.

D'oh!  I wasn't aware that the Pierpont BOG had a cornerstone.  I was going by this page, but it certainly could have changed.  Unless you're talking about the Portfolio Development course?  I thought that you were just required to take a course with them, any course, in order to get a transcript if you wanted one.

I have to admit, I don't know much about COSC's cornerstone course, but I was told that it involves papers, assignments, quizzes, and classroom participation posts and responses on 2-3 topics per week, with MLA citations, which makes it sound like considerably more of a slog than a one-credit course at Pierpont.

I'll have to look at the costs and degree requirements for COSC again.  I thought COSC was significantly more expensive, and I wasn't seriously considering them because of the cornerstone requirement.  Plus we'd still need the same RA credits as Pierpont.

[/size]

[/size]

[size=undefined]
 [/size]

Did you get a transcript?  If so, what course did you take from Pierpont to qualify?  Was there a cornerstone?

[/size]

[/size]

[size=undefined]
 [/size]

Did you get a transcript?  If so, what course did you take from Pierpont to qualify?  Was there a cornerstone?

(08-17-2020, 01:15 PM)Jimmyd Wrote:

[/size]

[/size]

[size=undefined]
 [/size]

[/size]

[/size]

[size=undefined]
 [/size]

I did not get a transcript. I was using the one they provide online. I did not take a course with them. Their was no requirement to complete a cornerstone. Some on this site took Exploring Career Opportunities which was a one credit course in order to get a transcript.
(08-17-2020, 01:15 PM)Jimmyd Wrote: I did not get a transcript. I was using the one they provide online. I did not take a course with them. Their was no requirement to complete a cornerstone. Some on this site took Exploring Career Opportunities which was a one credit course in order to get a transcript.

"Exploring Career Opportunities 1CH(s)

This is a one credit hour, interactive, distance learning survey “survival” course to explore possibilities and plan for career changes and updates. It is self-paced and intended to aid in developing or refreshing skills needed to launch or transition into a new career. Career resources will be explored and then applied to real-world experiences. This course should assist students seeking a new or renewed career path."

That sounds more like it!
Crap that thought, I got confused and recalled the 1 credit course or a college success course would be the cornerstone. Yes, the BOG AAS would be my recommendation or a community college AA instead of the COSC: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid316023
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-17-2020, 07:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Crap that thought, I got confused and recalled the 1 credit course or a college success course would be the cornerstone. Yes, the BOG AAS would be my recommendation or a community college AA instead of the COSC: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid316023

Okay, BJ, thanks for the clarification!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • Johndmabryjr
(04-18-2020, 06:43 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:26 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The main issue as I see it is that it's an AAS, not an AS/AA.  Some places will not accept that degree, so I'd be careful getting if before knowing if it will fit my purposes.  It certainly can't hurt, but it just may not be as helpful as you'd think.

Well I'm thinking for employment purposes any associate degree of any kind looks better than 2 years of college that you dropped out of. I know some people in that boat. They have about 60 credits but have no interest in going back to school paying a bunch of money or taking a bunch of classes. This can help this advance professionally quickly and easily. Something to put on a resume. Personally, this AAS would look better on a resume than a 2-year college drop out. But that is my opinion and I don't hire people so idk.

Also, I have a friend who will have 60 credits from a 4-year university by the end of this semester.  If the university she goes to continues online for the fall will drop out or take time off school. I suggested this opinion to her if that happens and she loved the idea. Even just for the sake of finishing, say she never goes back to school she will have a diploma to show for her efforts.

Generally, employers won't care about an associates degree.  And, if you went to college and dropped out, that wouldn't be on your resume at all.

I'd say that it can't hurt, but won't help MUCH.  I probably wouldn't pay $500 for it, but some people might think it's worth it.  I only did it myself because it was free (I wanted to see if I could get it back when you could), and I've never put it on my resume - even when I didn't have my BS.  There wasn't a single job I ever applied to where an AAS was asked for (once in a while I'd see a low-level accounting job where they wanted an AS in Accounting or Business, but never a general AA/AS/AAS).

Good points. I will keep those things in mind for my friends.

But I'm confused because you went to college for 2 years and dropped out and didn't list it on your resume at all, wouldn't it look like you had no education? Wouldn't, in that case, having an AAS be worth it and look better on a resume to have something under the education section. Make it look like you finished a degree. idk.

I think for my friend (and lots others I know like her who dropped out after 2 years) if they spent thousands of dollars on a college education and nothing show for it, it might nice to have some sort of degree. Especially if it requires little cost or work. Kind makes the thousands of dollars spent on a degree less of waste and least they finished something for the money. Maybe these people could even go the free route with no transcript just to have something to hang on their wall for the two years they put in. 

I kind of agree honestly I know what you mean about jobs. My associates haven't helped me a ton in terms of employment. 

However, it used to be the case that in my state to substitute teach you to need an associate's degree in any subject of any kind. Now I think it is just 60 college credits or an associate's degree. Also if you work the school district you are highly qualified para-pro of classroom aid if you have an associate. The school district is more likely to hire someone with an associate's degree than someone without one. And I know that from personal experience and talking to the people who hire people there.

Also, I did apply for job that was a grant-funded position. This particular job required an associate's degree. This was the only job I've ever applied for that required an associate's degree.

I totally agree with you about having the degree in hand! It cannot hurt and has to look better than no degree!
[-] The following 1 user Likes miah's post:
  • monchevy
(03-24-2021, 11:46 AM)miah Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:43 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:26 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The main issue as I see it is that it's an AAS, not an AS/AA.  Some places will not accept that degree, so I'd be careful getting if before knowing if it will fit my purposes.  It certainly can't hurt, but it just may not be as helpful as you'd think.

Well I'm thinking for employment purposes any associate degree of any kind looks better than 2 years of college that you dropped out of. I know some people in that boat. They have about 60 credits but have no interest in going back to school paying a bunch of money or taking a bunch of classes. This can help this advance professionally quickly and easily. Something to put on a resume. Personally, this AAS would look better on a resume than a 2-year college drop out. But that is my opinion and I don't hire people so idk.

Also, I have a friend who will have 60 credits from a 4-year university by the end of this semester.  If the university she goes to continues online for the fall will drop out or take time off school. I suggested this opinion to her if that happens and she loved the idea. Even just for the sake of finishing, say she never goes back to school she will have a diploma to show for her efforts.

Generally, employers won't care about an associates degree.  And, if you went to college and dropped out, that wouldn't be on your resume at all.

I'd say that it can't hurt, but won't help MUCH.  I probably wouldn't pay $500 for it, but some people might think it's worth it.  I only did it myself because it was free (I wanted to see if I could get it back when you could), and I've never put it on my resume - even when I didn't have my BS.  There wasn't a single job I ever applied to where an AAS was asked for (once in a while I'd see a low-level accounting job where they wanted an AS in Accounting or Business, but never a general AA/AS/AAS).

Good points. I will keep those things in mind for my friends.

But I'm confused because you went to college for 2 years and dropped out and didn't list it on your resume at all, wouldn't it look like you had no education? Wouldn't, in that case, having an AAS be worth it and look better on a resume to have something under the education section. Make it look like you finished a degree. idk.

I think for my friend (and lots others I know like her who dropped out after 2 years) if they spent thousands of dollars on a college education and nothing show for it, it might nice to have some sort of degree. Especially if it requires little cost or work. Kind makes the thousands of dollars spent on a degree less of waste and least they finished something for the money. Maybe these people could even go the free route with no transcript just to have something to hang on their wall for the two years they put in. 

I kind of agree honestly I know what you mean about jobs. My associates haven't helped me a ton in terms of employment. 

However, it used to be the case that in my state to substitute teach you to need an associate's degree in any subject of any kind. Now I think it is just 60 college credits or an associate's degree. Also if you work the school district you are highly qualified para-pro of classroom aid if you have an associate. The school district is more likely to hire someone with an associate's degree than someone without one. And I know that from personal experience and talking to the people who hire people there.

Also, I did apply for job that was a grant-funded position. This particular job required an associate's degree. This was the only job I've ever applied for that required an associate's degree.

I totally agree with you about having the degree in hand! It cannot hurt and has to look better than no degree!

A lot of these ATS systems won't even let you submit an application unless you've checked the (required) degree box. In those cases an associate's is better than no degree. Also, many civil service jobs require just an associate's (as opposed to corporate jobs that demand a bachelor's). I lost out on a great city job once because I didn't have a degree. My experience was perfect for the job otherwise, and the lady was about to schedule me for an interview but had one question... do I have a degree? I said no, and she asked in a tone that I knew meant PLEASE SAY YES! "In anything? Anything at all?" I had to say no again, and she said she was sorry, but it was a requirement. That sucked.
Deleted post.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 407 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 175 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 372 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 554 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 553 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 827 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,478 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,218 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 888 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 17 2,234 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM