Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online courses are cost effective but detrimental to learning?
I'm going to be introverted regardless. I'm fine with doing presentations, and I've taught classes. I just don't like small talk.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think there is truth to the study. I for one prefer taking classes in person and being able to get the lecture in person. However, with that, I like professors who record their lectures. I have done online classes and the forum postings are boring and I don't get much out of them. Sometimes an online class makes sense because there is no other way to get the information.

Now with multitasking, it may depend. For example from 2009 - 2010 I did a lot of driving for work. I would listen to iTunes University courses and then test out of the class via DSST. Now I always took a pre-test and would just re-listen to the subject matter over and over until I felt I was ready. Maybe driving is different but I think it depends on the tasks and what is being done. For example, a visual task and an audio task may be able to be combined.

I also think age is a factor since I have two boys in the university and I notice them multitasking sometimes while studying. It shows that they are doing so and going to class seems to help them. They now hate online classes and try to avoid them and test out of easy courses when possible.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
I guess I should be outraged. Not so much that they are criticizing my preferred method of learning(online), but that my 19 year old son is paying to go to a good brick and mortar engineering school, and they are pushing him into online classes as much as possible. Right now he is at a 40% online course load. Criminology and a Programming Course. He had no say in it. He drives in to campus 4 days a week, and the rest of the time, he is in his bedroom doing everything online. Heck, my local High School only offers some courses online.

Seriously, I am not even remotely disappointed by it, but I find it funny that there is still such a controversy over online schooling. If big name schools are offering complete online degrees, and now they are even forcing their resident and commuter students to take a certain percentage of online courses, I just don't think that there can be a whole lot of argument AGAINST the online delivery format, anymore. Big schools have finally figured out how to profit from online and not threaten tenured jobs. Capitalism dictates that online is here to stay and proliferate. We are simply pioneers, here.

As for the social aspect of school, my son told me the other day that he has not had a one on one conversation with any of the other students in his class. He goes to class, the Professor goes through Powerpoint slides that largely parallel the textbook. They have an open Q&A, and then my kid shuffles off to the next class or over to the campus food court. Gets in his car, drives home. Rinse, repeat. Maybe he will get into a more social environment when he spends more time at the Engineering School on campus or into Public Speaking? Not sure.

I agree that online is not for all people. But, for many, it is ideal. Especially those of us who have been in our industry for thirty years, raised the kids, and have learned how to focus on our goals.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(03-21-2019, 10:36 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: I guess I should be outraged.  Not so much that they are criticizing my preferred method of learning(online), but that my 19 year old son is paying to go to a good brick and mortar engineering school, and they are pushing him into online classes as much as possible.  Right now he is at a 40% online course load. Criminology and a Programming Course.  He had no say in it.  He drives in to campus 4 days a week, and the rest of the time, he is in his bedroom doing everything online.   Heck, my local High School only offers some courses online.

Seriously, I am not even remotely disappointed by it, but I find it funny that there is still such a controversy over online schooling.  If big name schools are offering complete online degrees, and now they are even forcing their resident and commuter students to take a certain percentage of online courses,  I just don't think that there can be a whole lot of argument AGAINST the online delivery format, anymore.   Big schools have finally figured out how to profit from online and not threaten tenured jobs.  Capitalism dictates that online is here to stay and proliferate.  We are simply pioneers, here.

As for the social aspect of school, my son told me the other day that he has not had a one on one conversation with any of the other students in his class.  He goes to class, the Professor goes through Powerpoint slides that largely parallel the textbook.  They have an open Q&A, and then my kid shuffles off to the next class or over to the campus food court.  Gets in his car, drives home.  Rinse, repeat.   Maybe he will get into a more social environment when he spends more time at the Engineering School on campus or into Public Speaking?  Not sure.

I agree that online is not for all people.  But, for many, it is ideal.  Especially those of us who have been in our industry for thirty years, raised the kids, and have learned how to focus on our goals.
I prefer testing out but do take some classes online. I get less information and it seems to be just busy work mostly. 

Professors that give good lectures should cover material, not in the book. I research my professors out and sometimes may travel to spend time with a specific professor. As in all professions, there are a lot of mediocre professors and the quality ones should prove out via some online research or by you interviewing them to decide if they are for you. I'm paying them money and where that money goes is something to consider. 

I lecture my boys on class selection and have forced them to drop professors I think are just milking the system. A quality professor can make a huge difference and lead to good opportunities that they might not even be known about.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • alab21
An Online Course or an Offline Course will require you to read certain amount of text, and then you will be evaluated in your understanding
of this text (either part of it or the whole, quiz or exam). What would be the difference of the person that learns the material in a classroom
and the person that learns the same material using youtube and a pdf. At the end the evaluation will be the same.
And if they have the same proficiency then there will be no difference of this people professionally.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cell Phone Deal - OnePlus Nord 30 - Best Buy $0 plus cost for X days service bjcheung77 6 696 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,423 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 418 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  81 Courses in 24 Hours Alpha 29 2,195 09-11-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Degreed raises money for their Learning & Upskilling Platform bjcheung77 0 472 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 450 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
  New Blade Lithium Batteries Push Cost Below $100 Kwh LevelUP 0 504 12-18-2021, 05:27 PM
  Language learning bundle rachel83az 4 1,659 12-17-2021, 11:49 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Eye Level Learning vs Kumon (and/or alternatives) bjcheung77 1 3,100 10-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77