Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preparation for UExcel Philosophy
I have the assigned textbooks, but it's a real slog to try and read and take notes for 1500 pages of material. Does anyone have any recommendations for other, perhaps more concise, study materials?

I notice InstantCert does not seem to have Philosophy flash cards.
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
Has anyone taken this? I know the UExcels aren't all that popular with people outside of Excelsior...
Leebo Wrote:Has anyone taken this? I know the UExcels aren't all that popular with people outside of Excelsior...

It's possible that you are the first member to try this one. From my perspective, you are the first of a new generation of EC students, who are using the increasing number of UExcel exams with lower prices. I hope you realize that your experiences with the study guides and materials will be valuable to others and will share what worked well for you.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Have you tried the free Saylor course recommended in the Philosophy content guide? I've used Saylor for both Intro to Psychology and Sociology, without purchasing the recommended textbooks.
laughter Wrote:Have you tried the free Saylor course recommended in the Philosophy content guide? I've used Saylor for both Intro to Psychology and Sociology, without purchasing the recommended textbooks.

I have not, thanks. =)
I know this is an old thread, but I took this test today and got a B. I used the main textbook listed in the content guide and studied for about 10 days. Instead of reading the whole books, I just went from the content guide and matched the outline to the chapter summaries at the end og each chapter in the text, making note cards for Anki as I went. This, with a 30 min cram session to review all cards in the lobby of the testing center, worked out well for me. If I had it to do over again, I would have started studying at least a week sooner.
The two main tools I used are: Crash Course Philosophy, a Youtube series that is really comprehensive and covers everything I ever saw in the books, and the Philosophy quiz on the app QuizUp, it's a basic quiz app but it helps with recall speed and memorizing who said what. These tools are a bit unconventional but, they really worked well for the way I learn!! I would especially recommend the Crash Course videos, it is honestly the most comprehensive and interesting thing I found!!
For anyone who might stumble upon here like I did: just took the Philosophy test and got a B.

I was scared shitless as I found just a few weeks ago I needed a class to be able to graduate on time. Got the practice tests too and scored 28/50 and 34/50 on 1 and 2 respectively. Watched all the crash course Philosophy videos which were extremely helpful, then tried reading the chapter summaries from the main book by Chaffe. Once I was somewhat familiar with concepts and history, I made a presentation with about 1 slide for each topic in the content guide and spent a few days reading and rereading it. Went over the chapter summaries one last time before the test today. It helps to have a separate document or print with only the chapter summaries. Overall took me about a week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes triceratops's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UExcel exam costs $220 nomaduser 5 1,469 03-14-2021, 04:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Uexcel Earth Science Exam HELP!!! Urgent!!!! Pandalover43 3 2,509 03-31-2019, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Pandalover43
  UExcel Physics mtompkins 4 2,013 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM
Last Post: megasscholar
  UEXCEL Weather and Climate learflyer 3 1,306 03-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Last Post: GonnaGraduate
  Is There a Modern States Equivalent for DSST, TECEP, & UEXCEL? retro 6 1,684 02-04-2019, 02:17 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Clep or UEXCEL Jsheets15 5 3,583 01-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Best Books for DSST Preparation? Silly_Me 5 1,903 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Last Post: radconjohn
  InstantCert Flashcards: Uexcel Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior jthatcher50 0 1,594 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: jthatcher50
  TECEP and UExcel transferrability Ideas 8 2,275 06-23-2017, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Synicaal
  UNC and NC State Offering Competency-Based Teacher Preparation sanantone 7 2,646 02-24-2017, 12:59 AM
Last Post: sacredrain