Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum!
Big Grin 
I've been in my current role at my employer for under two years --- I think a year and 8 months? --- and today I just accepted a new offer with my company for a role that came with an approximate 30% increase (and large bonus potential on top of it; double my previous potential). This is obviously a huge bump! Way more than my last promotion, and in much shorter time than any other major promotion/job offer I've accepted.

I briefly met my manager-to-be once before in person (months ago), but the circumstances were not that I had an opportunity to impress her much. It was very much in passing. But before I even interviewed with her or spoke to her formally, she reached out to me and made it very clear that she was interested in me. So I can only think that it was my resume itself that made such an impression on her, and my guess is that my education was the kicker. Any past managers she would have reached out to certainly would have given me a glowing review, but I have no indication that she checked references before offering me an interview.

I am constantly amazed at how this forum, and everyone here who has helped me along the way, continues to have a lasting positive impact on my (and my family's!!) livelihood. 

I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.

Thanks, friends.
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (9/32cr), 2021?
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 16 users Like jsd's post:
  • akr680, allvia, BreWoodsy, ChilliDawg, Clepper43, davewill, dfrecore, Merlin, MrBossmanJr, MSK9, Muldoon, Murdockb, Nixi, quigongene, sanantone, shadowgem
Hey JSD, Congrats

I am total agree with you (I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.)

I also thanks for this forum. I have been 5 to 7 years that I did not pick up a book or thinking to get master degree. This forum helps me to motivate me and I am studying for master. I am more motivate than ever.
Missouri State university MBA in process
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
NEXT: In Future Ph.D in ???

[-] The following 1 user Likes Imbanewbie's post:
  • akr680
Congrats! And I'm sure you can get that bonus Smile
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in June or Sept?
First Masters complete. Choosing next Masters / grad cert.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
Congrats, JSD! I’m hoping to have the same success as you after I graduate, but it’s always important to keep learning so that we can progress and succeed. I wish you the best with this promotion!
Sophia (3): Student Succ., Dev. Effective Teams, Managing Conflict 
Institutes (3): Ethics (3) 
TEEX (21): CS 101, 201, 301, Basic Property Tech, Death Investigation, Fingerprint Comparison 
CSM (3): Quant 
CLEP (12): College Comp, Analyzing Literature 
SL (21): Western Civ. I/II, Cultural Anthropology, American Gov, Religion, US History II, Organizational Behavior
InstantCert (3): Astronomy

Credits: 66/120
Nice, you deserve it. Thanks for all the help you have provided me and the rest of this community.
Code:
BU:         MS in Software Development (4/32 SH - 1 Course IP) | GPA: 3.70

TESU:       BA in Liberal Studies | AS in Natural Science and Mathematics (Computer Science, Mathematics) | Cert in Electronics |
            3 SH GPA: 4.00 | Golden Key International Honor Society
EC:         AAS in Technical Studies (Electronic/Instrumentation Technologies) High Honors GPA: 3.79 |
            18 SH GPA: 4.00
CCP:        AAS in Applied Science and Engineering Technology (Graduation DEC2019) Highest Honors GPA: 3.91 | AAS in Technical Studies (Computer Technology) |
            65 SH GPA: 3.91 | Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society

TU:         12 SH GPA: 3.91
CTC:        3 SH GPA: 4.00
CHC:        19 SH
SDCC:       1 SH

CLEP:       Analyzing & Interpreting Literature-60; College Composition Modular-57;
            Information Systems & Computer Applications-53; College Mathematics-50;
            Principles of Marketing-55
DSST:       Introduction to Computing-423; Principles of Supervision-410;
            Introduction to Business-415; Technical Writing-51
Study:      21 SH
Institute:  2 SH
TEEX:       4 SH
Sophia:     2 SH
USN:        88 LL/18 UL (JST ACE Evaluation - ET2)
Certs:      Computer Operator (USMAP) | ICDL_US
Grats, jsd!
TESU BALS Humanities
Post-Bac: Doane University - Complete: 3/2020
CASPer Done MCAT Done
Awesome! Congrats, you deserve it.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Starting 12/19
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017
40 Credits from Stark State College(B&M), 100 ACE credits (mix of Straighterline, Study.Com, TECEP, etc.), TESU LIB-495 Capstone.
(11-07-2019, 12:31 AM)jsd Wrote: I've been in my current role at my employer for under two years --- I think a year and 8 months? --- and today I just accepted a new offer with my company for a role that came with an approximate 30% increase (and large bonus potential on top of it; double my previous potential). This is obviously a huge bump! Way more than my last promotion, and in much shorter time than any other major promotion/job offer I've accepted.

I briefly met my manager-to-be once before in person (months ago), but the circumstances were not that I had an opportunity to impress her much. It was very much in passing. But before I even interviewed with her or spoke to her formally, she reached out to me and made it very clear that she was interested in me. So I can only think that it was my resume itself that made such an impression on her, and my guess is that my education was the kicker. Any past managers she would have reached out to certainly would have given me a glowing review, but I have no indication that she checked references before offering me an interview.

I am constantly amazed at how this forum, and everyone here who has helped me along the way, continues to have a lasting positive impact on my (and my family's!!) livelihood. 

I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.

Thanks, friends.

I'm so proud of you Wink congratulations!!
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
Congratulations!! Very happy for you.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math): 124 Cr.

TEEX(6): Cybersecurity 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Essentials of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psychology, Ethics in Social Sciences, Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Special Ed. History & Law, Differentiated Ed., Classroom Management, Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Research methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Molecular & Cellular Biology, Comparative Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 
Congrats and keep the updates coming for the program...
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DegreeForum Referral vetvso 11 680 03-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Commute to work - how long? cookderosa 9 410 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 1,208 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degreeforum Connection Issues? quigongene 1 311 11-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
Big Grin Job promotion, working from home! jsd 11 1,269 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Suggestions for Project/Deadline-Oriented Work kalishakti 3 585 03-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Mouse not scrolling through DegreeForum threads bjcheung77 1 272 04-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Telecommuting/ Remote Work Opportunities/ Familiar places yb1 10 593 12-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  DegreeForum.net and 2 or 3 letter searches rvm 5 444 03-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: High_Order1
  computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? SuzanneD 17 1,134 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Prloko