Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about TESC
Gary Wrote:Doug,
If at all possible, call and try to get a few answers before enrolling. I can almost guarantee, before they answer more than a question or two about any program, they will want $75.00 registration fee and your transcripts so THEY can determine what you need. Good degree programs, bad customer service. Their programs run 12 weeks now. Since Jennifer is going through them now, she would know better than anyone how they work. They told me 2 weeks ago TECEP's should be scheduled 1-2 months out and it is a pain to find a proctor. I have posted on other websites about their service, it's last to none as far as I'm concerned. One last thing, your better off waiting until your close to completeing your degree before registering because of the high annual fees. The catch-22 is if you do your own planning, what you determine you need might be different from what they say. (I'd almost bet on it). Jennifer, do you concur w/any of this?

Getting a proctor for a TECEP isn't that hard. A really helpful library staff or another college could do the task. You do have to schedule them at least a month beforehand, just so they can send the exam out and you could study. I agree on doing your own degree planning for exams but beware, they could take credit from anything and then apply it, potentially wasting time and effort for an exam taken but not applied to the degree plan.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
dc67 Wrote:So does that mean that I can pay per class? Even if it is more per class, my employer will pay for each class, I just do not think they will pay for a years tuition and classes on top of that.

Does anyone have any info about how exactly the PLA works? That is what I am really interested in.

Thanks,

Doug
>>

There is a whole section in the college catalog (pdf file- you can read it right now) and personally, I think the PLA looks like a pain in the a$$ and it isn't cheap. There are a half dozen students on the TESC message board that talk about their PLAs and there is a lot of work involved. The key is documentation- some students had to turn in videos of them doing the activity, certificates of CEU earned, letters of reference, written papers, outlines of texts you have read, etc. It depends on the mentor who is doing the grading of your PLA. I have heard some are ok, and others are insane who want pages of objectives and how you met them. I think there are people who really benefit from PLAs... and that might be you!
Good luck!
Thanks for all of the info. I will look into the catalog now. I was at work earlier and our Neoware terminals do not have enough memory for a big PDF.
The PLA's may be a pain, that's why I am trying to get info. I am just looking for anyway to shorten things. Does anyone know about TESC's Physics classes? My particular degree requires 2 physics classes. Is there a CLEP for physics? Could I pass it with no physics backround? Those are also my fears. It is hard being 40 and trying to get a degree but better late than never.

Thanks everyone, anything else will still be appreciated.

Doug
There isn't a physics CLEP yet but you could try the AP exam. It's a shot in the dark and extremely hard to pass. I would personally look into getting into a class for this one. Good Luck!
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50

Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
I have been trading emails with TESC over the last few days trying to get a good idea of what I am up against. Has anyone taken Physics 1 and 2 there online? If so, how was it? I would also need 2 math classes algebra and above. Does anyone know if there is a CLEP for any higher level math? I have taken Intermediate Algebra(22 years ago) but I got a D and it won't transfer to TESC.

On a different subject, Are there any economics courses other that micro and macro? I got a 49 on micro and I am taking macro next week. I am just looking at a minor in economics where I currently go so anything to test out of will speed it up. I have to figure out Micro before I take it again, it sucks you have to wait 6 months.
There are the Precalculus and Calculus CLEPs if you are that inclined, but I wouldn't go that route, unless you are awesome at math. As for economics, ask an advisor to see if any of the Business/Social Sciences would fulfill that area.
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50

Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Gary Wrote:Doug,
If at all possible, call and try to get a few answers before enrolling. I can almost guarantee, before they answer more than a question or two about any program, they will want $75.00 registration fee and your transcripts so THEY can determine what you need. Good degree programs, bad customer service. Their programs run 12 weeks now. Since Jennifer is going through them now, she would know better than anyone how they work. They told me 2 weeks ago TECEP's should be scheduled 1-2 months out and it is a pain to find a proctor. I have posted on other websites about their service, it's last to none as far as I'm concerned. One last thing, your better off waiting until your close to completeing your degree before registering because of the high annual fees. The catch-22 is if you do your own planning, what you determine you need might be different from what they say. (I'd almost bet on it). Jennifer, do you concur w/any of this?
>>

Yes I concur. Paying your $75 will give you access to the grand answers- but getting them to replay is sometimes a long process. You can plan your degree plan- but just plan the requirements, leave the electives open for classes that maybe fall out of the category you intended. (This happened to me when I worked WITH an advisor). You just should be careful, but in the end if you can plan your degree.
DC Wrote:I have been trading emails with TESC over the last few days trying to get a good idea of what I am up against. Has anyone taken Physics 1 and 2 there online? If so, how was it? I would also need 2 math classes algebra and above. Does anyone know if there is a CLEP for any higher level math? I have taken Intermediate Algebra(22 years ago) but I got a D and it won't transfer to TESC.

On a different subject, Are there any economics courses other that micro and macro? I got a 49 on micro and I am taking macro next week. I am just looking at a minor in economics where I currently go so anything to test out of will speed it up. I have to figure out Micro before I take it again, it sucks you have to wait 6 months.
>>

Easy to help you-
Go to Thomas Edison State College and click on "student services" You will see a link on the right "publications" click it. This is an important page!!
1. On the TESC web page "publications" you want to open "registration bulletin" and it lists every class, how it is offered, and what level it is.
2. Go back to the "publications" page and open "college catalog" and print out pages 104-105 which show you every exam and what class it counts toward.
(I would print those 2 pages out- you'll need them about 10,000 times)
You should also know that the college will send you those in glossy print if you ask.
Thanks everyone, I guess I will just have to break down and spend the $75 and get the ball rolling. I will look that other stuff also Jennifer, thank you.
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Yes I concur. Paying your $75 will give you access to the grand answers- but getting them to replay is sometimes a long process. You can plan your degree plan- but just plan the requirements, leave the electives open for classes that maybe fall out of the category you intended. (This happened to me when I worked WITH an advisor). You just should be careful, but in the end if you can plan your degree.

Pretty much what she said Smile Oh, and also it will take them FOREVER to update your evaulation- seriously. I still have 4 DSST tests and a CLEP from 5 weeks ago that they have and haven't put on my evaluation yet.
Because of money issues, I haven't been able to enroll yet and won't be able to until I actually have about 114 credits, but I have been over my degree plan *I* created about 1,000 times. I'm still worried they'll do what Jennifer said and tell me electives are wrong (they did that to me already with HTYH), but I'll probably just end up faxing the degree plan I did and getting them to put mine in, since I know it's right.
I haven't had many problems with them, but they're not very user friendly and can be a giant PITA. You have to be firm with the advisors and usually they'll come around.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,988 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,704 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,981 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,917 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,298 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,890 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,613 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU and Study.com partnership/discount specific questions Tripletmom 9 3,344 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,069 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy