Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadmap for BSLA thru Excelsior
OK - so I'll be 49 in 3 months ... and starting from scratch for a bachelor's degree.  and figured the LA would be easiest/quickest to achieve. I've put together a plan (attached) but thought it would be good to get some feedback from others who have more experience.

Couple of questions ...

1- I read somewhere on the boards here that it was someone's opinion (don't know who) that TESU was more cost effective than Excelsior. Why would that be? Or would it vary depending on how you go about it? From what I've looked at, Excelsior will be less for me than TESU, but maybe I'm missing something.

2- I haven't applied to them yet (will next week), but does anyone know if Excelsior will accept ACE credits from SDC for courses that aren't explicitly listed on Excelsior's transfer page on the SDC site? (The courses on that page are drastically pared down from the courses listed on SDC's ACE page.) 

3- Does anyone know if Excelsior will view the SDC Physical Geology as overlap from the CLEP Natural Sciences?

4- Does anyone have any experience with Excelsior accepting the UL SDC Psychology courses? (specifically 'Psychology of Personality' [310] and 'Psychology of Motivation' [315])
I'm worried they won't accept the 'Psychology of Personality' along with the 'Intro to Psychology' because they have their own courses by those same names - although they list their 'Psychology of Personality' with only a 220 course number. Do the course numbers across the schools truly reflect the course depth, regardless of their similar/same names?
Also, under the 'Psychology of Personality' listing in their catalog, they say:
      "Suggested prerequisite: PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology or equivalent"
OK - that seems all fine & dandy ... but then they go on to say:
      "This  course  duplicates  PSYx101:  Introduction  to  Psychology. Credit for only one of these will be applied toward graduation."
Huh? So why do they suggest a prerequisite, then say it duplicates that very prerequisite!??!

I know, I'll get my answers when I actually apply, but if anyone has prior experience with this maybe I can tweak it before I actually put in the application.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
.pdf   Excelsior College BSLA roadmap.pdf (Size: 57.17 KB / Downloads: 25)
I definitely don't know how EC brings things in so can't help there.

But I do know that COSC is by far the cheapest of the Big 3. EC is 2nd, TESU is 3rd.

Here are the things I see wrong:
1) EC won't take the CLEP for College Comp last I heard (you can take the UExcel for this instead but it's expensive)
2) World Religions is a Humanities course (at least it is at TESU & COSC)
3) I don't think College Comp counts towards your English depth
4) Short Stories (Eng 310) is not UL
5) Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School UExcel is expensive
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • trueblue
Thanks! All that kind of what's what stuff is exactly what I need to know so I can work it out.

I'll go and look more closely into COSC. I originally looked at them early on, then dismissed them but I don't remember why.

1- Do you know if COSC takes the College Comp CLEP?
2- Thanks for the heads up - trying to figure out what goes where is a bear sometimes.
3 & 4-If what you say is true about the College Comp & Short Stories, I'll probably switch my area of focus over to history by adding in another history course. When I was playing around with my lineup, I had another one on there, then took it off. Looks like I'll put it back on and do some shuffling.
5- *Sigh* I know. It's expensive. That's the one I was going to 'splurge' on 'cause it sounds really interesting, and it IS 6 credits, not just 3. There's another one (TECEP The Story of Human Language [Com 339]) that also sounds really good, but it's only the 3 credits, making it even more expensive.

Off to get some plants in the ground before it gets too hot outside - then back to shuffle my list around and check out COSC. Thanks again!
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf

The do take the CLEP.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

COSC does take the CLEP, or you can use Adv Tech Writing (from Study.com) as your Written Comp II requirement - and get some UL credit in there to boot.

Study.com has some UL (and LL) Education courses, although not the exact one you're looking at. Coopersmith also has some UL and LL ECE courses that might sound interesting, and I think they are all $150.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the link - I checked that out.

(05-25-2019, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ... or you can use Adv Tech Writing (from Study.com) as your Written Comp II requirement - and get some UL credit in there to boot.
I really like the sound of that one!

(05-25-2019, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Study.com has some UL (and LL) Education courses, although not the exact one you're looking at. Coopersmith also has some UL and LL ECE courses that might sound interesting, and I think they are all $150.
I haven't checked Coopersmith out ... I'll have to do that!

So COSC requires that you have 9 credits prior to applying ... I couldn't find that Excelsior has something similar but I could have missed it. Does anyone know if they do? (And before someone points it out, no, I don't have a GED or equivalent. Somehow I think they'd frown on a homeschool diploma from the 80's - even if my parents had given me one.)

Which leads to my next question ... when you apply with a 'plan' such as I have, will they give a yea or nay to the projected courses? If nays are given, will they help you come up with something similar, or is that up to you, and then do you have to apply again? That part is all kind of fuzzy for me.
(05-25-2019, 08:49 PM)trueblue Wrote: Thanks for the link - I checked that out.

(05-25-2019, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ... or you can use Adv Tech Writing (from Study.com) as your Written Comp II requirement - and get some UL credit in there to boot.
I really like the sound of that one!

(05-25-2019, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Study.com has some UL (and LL) Education courses, although not the exact one you're looking at.  Coopersmith also has some UL and LL ECE courses that might sound interesting, and I think they are all $150.
I haven't checked Coopersmith out ... I'll have to do that!

So COSC requires that you have 9 credits prior to applying ... I couldn't find that Excelsior has something similar but I could have missed it. Does anyone know if they do? (And before someone points it out, no, I don't have a GED or equivalent. Somehow I think they'd frown on a homeschool diploma from the 80's - even if my parents had given me one.)

Which leads to my next question ... when you apply with a 'plan' such as I have, will they give a yea or nay to the projected courses? If nays are given, will they help you come up with something similar, or is that up to you, and then do you have to apply again? That part is all kind of fuzzy for me.

First, if you have a high school diploma (even if it's homeschool), that's valid and a better than a GED.  It's as valid as a high school diploma from any public school in the country.  Many times, there is no way they can differentiate between a homeschool diploma or any other kind.

Second, I don't know that you submit a plan to someone.  Mostly here on this forum, we just choose a plan and get started.  For COSC and EC, most people submit their transcripts when they're at 114-120 credits and are looking to take the cornerstone (COSC) and/or capstone (both).  For TESU, most people apply at some point and submit transcripts to lock in their catalog - because TESU makes the most changes so you really do need to do that.  COSC and EC charge fees for being enrolled, so it's better to wait.
OK - that all makes sense. So I guess the best thing would be to hold off on doing any courses which I might question if EC would accept as credit for what I'm going for.
I just applied to EC last week for the BSLA so I can share my evaluation when I get it back!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help, degree plan for Excelsior BS in IT LuisaKönig 5 495 01-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 507 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Cost of TESU vs. Excelsior TwinMom 13 1,308 08-22-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: turtlepuff1234111
  Please review my plan: Excelsior BS in Business (General Business) Sheet Included colonel 7 560 08-21-2023, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 770 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU or EXCELSIOR moho23 8 905 05-26-2023, 08:50 PM
  Excelsior liberal arts and Tesu Business admin ! jakill2 7 705 04-11-2023, 02:51 PM
  Questions about Excelsior BSLA lonelySamurai 8 721 04-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: lonelySamurai
  Questions about Excelsior BSLA degree planning Thanksforhelphere 7 913 04-03-2023, 07:58 PM
  Excelsior: Can you help me with a degree plan? SCYankee 11 1,178 03-05-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: SCYankee