Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roadmap for New Excelsior College Students
littleloulou28 Wrote:Ok thanks for the info, I keep searching all over this site for as much info as I can find, I still feel confused and lost, what is Aleks??

The Big ole Instacert Thread on ALEKS

Basically it is homeschooling site that has gotten ACE (The American Council on Education) credit recommendations on about 8-9 of their Math offerings, which transfer easily to EC & TESC (I'm not sure about Charter Oak, as I haven't seen much mention of it) along with a good number of schools that accept ACE evaluated courses for credit.

Its $20 a month, and you can take 1 'class' at a time. Each course starts out with an assessment to judge your level of skill, and then translates the results of that into a Pie Chart with a number of categories that vary by the course. From that point, you do lessons with the goal of filling up the Pie Chart. Periodically you'll get more assessments which fills your progress bar based on your correct (or takes away progress if you get incorrect answers for stuff you've done the lessons for.) You can also force assessments whenever you want though the master account screen.

The goal for people looking to use ALEKS for college credit is generally 70% progress, which is the minimum you need to get credit through ACE. There's nothing stopping you from getting anything higher than 70%, though its mainly for self-edification, as ACE only awards credit as Pass/Fail (with pass at 70% or above.)

(The pass/fail system is similar to what you'd see with CLEP tests, as ACE also recommens the score for passing for those)

You can find more information at ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Ok I remember now someone told me about this. I need 6 math or natural science credits but I am awful at both. Would this give me 6 credits?
I am just about to sign up for ALEKS and am wondering if it is the using Aleks on your own green box. I am assuming it is since I have no class number lol. Also once I finish the class how do I reach ACE to get credit and get it to Excelsior? One more question...Can I get 6 math credits by using ALEKS? I need 6. Thanks a bunch!
FEMA Independent Study Program - Course List Does anyone know if this is still working for credits, this post was from 2006.
I don't know the answer to your question, but it is my understanding that the FEMA credits need to be transcribed ($75 per credit) by FCC before transferring them to EC. Be sure to include this cost when you decide whether to use FEMA at EC.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Ok thanks a lot!!
It looks like there is a second and less expensive option for transcribing FEMA credits for EC. Hopefully you have seen this thread from yesterday already, but in case you have not:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...lsior.html

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Littleloulou -

I forgot to mention: Consider NFA credit instead of some of the FEMA credit. You should be able to get 1-3 (?) credits for free that are placed on the ACE transcript, which you will have already for ALEKS.

Here are some links:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post73717

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...a-ace.html

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

[-] The following 1 user Likes NAP's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Before I throw Excelsior 75 bucks to MAYBE accept my prior credits and tell me that i need to take many ACTUAL classes, i wanted to refer with anybody on here about them.
I have over 100 units (80 from city/community college, 20 from Community college of air force). i want a Liberal Arts BA degree through Excelsior. I cant find out what previous classes they will take of mine, which will apply to that specific degree, and most importantly, if the classes i would have left to take through them are all "test-out-able". They want the application fee before they do all this. im afraid theyre gonna tell me i gotta take the rest of them through classes. cuz if thats the case i would rather just do it the old fashioned way through the University.
But i did read a couple of people on here were able to completely test out of everything to acquire their Bachelors. That sounds awesome. I would love to be able to do that. But i want straightforward answers before i flush 75$ down the tube.

So my questions are:
1. Is it worth the 75$ to just find out which classes i would have left?
2. Is anybody aware of which majors at Excelsior that you can completely test out of through ECE, DANTES, and CLEP tests?
3. (if youre an Excelsior graduate) how many tests did you have to take were DANTES/CLEP and how many did you have take were through ECE? im asking cause DSST/CLEP tests are free and i would wanna take as many of those as possible before having to do ECE.

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!

Right now, this is a tougher question to answer than usual. We do not know very much about the policies that are being changed. Usually we can help you with your credits, but it may be better to be in the application process to enroll before July 1, 2010.

It looks like a few policies will be changing for new enrollments on/after July 1, 2010. For instance, there will be a new capstone course requirement and Subject GRE exams will not be available for credit. You will have to ask them if 6 weeks would be enough time to apply, evaluate transcripts, and enroll to meet the July 1st deadline.

All degrees require 30 upper-level credits. If you do not have those, DANTES offers 4 exams in the Arts & Sciences and 4 in Applied Professional (free electives). For a BA, all of the upper-level credits must be in Arts & Sciences. For a BS, 9 of the upper-level credits can be in Applied Professional. The capstone course will be upper-level also. ECE (exams) can be used for the remaining upper-level credits. Plus, ALEKS Stats is upper-level.

Also, Liberal Studies degrees (without a major) require 2 depths, which are 12 credits including 3 upper-level. For a BA, both depths must be in a single discipline within the Arts & Sciences. For a BS, one of the depths can be in a single discipline of Applied Professional.

Excluding any other changes, a Liberal Studies (non-major) student should still be able to complete a degree through exams (except the capstone course). The Liberal Studies degrees are very flexible and should allow the use of most (if not all) transfer credits.

It is my understanding that a Psychology and History major can be completed through mostly exams and some coursework.

I hope this helps!

Update: As of July 8th, I learned that no changes have been made to the GRE policy. The situation is still under consideration. Be sure to check with Excelsior because this opportunity may still be available!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 526 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 995 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,720 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,731 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,397 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,365 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,136 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,820 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,306 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,363 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az