Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll call?
I know we have a lot of newer people, and from time to time I'll notice another long-time member will pop back in. Who is still here from more than 2 years ago? If you've finished your degree, why do you stay?
I'm still here. My oldest daughter finished her degree two years ago and now my second daughter is working toward her degree. Since I have 5 more children and the youngest is only one and a half I will probably be here for the next 20 years!

Danielle
[-] The following 1 user Likes a4tunatemom's post:
  • dewisant
Jennifer, I'm still here, albeit not as much as I used to be. I came here just to finish my AS degree and 2.5 years later I've done that, two bachelor's and I'm almost finished with my Master's so this board continues to be a source of help and support for me. My son is starting this journey and I feel I owe this community my support and I want to pay it forward.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
[-] The following 1 user Likes marianne202's post:
  • dewisant
I'm still here. Been here since 2007. I received so much help and advice here that I completed 3 degrees and now I'm working on my Graduate degrees. I'm still here just to help out and pay back what I have received whenever I can.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
[-] The following 1 user Likes CLEP101's post:
  • dewisant
I am still here. It has been about 11 months now but it feels like 36 Smile
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
[-] The following 1 user Likes ryoder's post:
  • dewisant
ryoder Wrote:I am still here. It has been about 11 months now but it feels like 36 Smile

That's because you've compressed the work of 36+ months into a year! Smile
And...I think I can I think I can I think I can!!
Jennifer- I notice so many people here earn multiple degrees, more than any group I've ever encountered. Why do you think that is? Is it because they don't want to leave this site, so they just stay around and collect degrees?
And...I think I can I think I can I think I can!!
I'm still here just after the two year mark and completing undergrad degrees to hopefully give back, if only a small amount, of the support that was given to me. Without the help of IC and knowledgeable forum members I would not have accomplished so much in so little time. I am the first non-traditional degree earner in my family (all of my siblings have undergrad/advanced degrees). I will have earned all four undergrad and my masters for less money than any of my siblings' undergrad degrees. Of course, I do not have the same brand name attached to my degrees.

I try to lend TESC students insight through academic policy. And, try to steer fellow students safely and efficiently over the finish line; whether by supplying contacts, support or just a push in the right direction. I try to check in every day or so but will not be around as much soon because I will be tied up with business and grad studies! I feel this board is very helpful not only to those formally earning degrees, but also to those who are just serial learners and want to associate with those of like minds. I am definitely the latter and if I pick up multiple degrees along the way, so be it.

I have always and will always be a student of life. What was said over and over in my household while growing was "when you stop searching for knowledge or have nothing left to learn, you have stopped breathing."

nflight Wrote:Jennifer- I notice so many people here earn multiple degrees, more than any group I've ever encountered. Why do you think that is? Is it because they don't want to leave this site, so they just stay around and collect degrees?

Because when you have more than 120 credits, you don't want it to go to waste! Smile I have about 225 undergrad credits, 187 are inside a degree. It KILLS ME, really it does, that I have unused credit. KILLS ME!. I have a theory (of course) though it probably doesn't apply to everyone, I think it applies to many. So, bear with me. I went to culinary school, and spent the past 25 (!) years of my life in the field. So, whipping together a dinner party at my house for 25 people is nothing. Literally. It's no more stress or time for me than cooking any regular dinner any day of the week. The only difference is that my house is cleaner. My non-chef friends ooohhhh and ahhhh even though I know the truth. ;P For some of my friends to take a turn would be nothing short of massive undertaking, so I continue to host.
So, that being said, I think it's like that for degrees here. People here know things that look hard to an outsider. Testing out SOUNDS HARD. Earning a degree SOUNDS HARD. Many of us are 30-40-50 and have careers that we entered without degrees, but in some respect always wanted- but never did- and then our window seemed to close or jobs forced us to reconsider the options. Our board opens the window for people, and as a motivated adult (which we all clearly are) we have generally got the tenacity and resources to rack up credit like people eating M&Ms. Plus, it's kinda addictive.

*note to self- reevaluate using my unused credits for 2012....arrrghhhhhhh!!!!!
I have to agree with what Jennifer said. I never needed a degree, although I was only 18 credits from finishing my nursing degree at EC when I found this board after losing my job for no degree. I had been familiar with EC and the non-traditional way getting a degree for many years. Gulp, I will admit this for the first time here...I actually paid my annual fee at EC to keep my nursing credits current for about 12 years, 10 of those without any progress towards my degree! I actually started when it was Regents. I get sick thinking of all that money wasted! But I never thought about any other method or degree other than nursing.

The support and information I gathered off this board started me on my path and before I knew it I was being motivated well beyond my initial goal. I think all that wasted money was one reason I worked so hard to get 3 degrees out of EC while using some free program enrollment and discounted return student fees. I figure they owe me that much!!! I'm sure I bought a wing or something after all that time! I hope that in some small way I can motivate and inspire others or just help answer a question and make their life easier so no one makes the same mistakes I have made. Now I'm working hard to insure that no matter what changes happen down the road I won't find myself out of a job that I did very well and loved, just because I don't have the right degree. I have foolishly thought about a doctorate degree but after just struggling with a thesis paper I know I could never, ever do a dissertation so my degree journey will soon be ending, but I have enjoyed the process, most days! To those that have helped along this journey thank you from the bottom of my heart, for that that have yet to experience all that this board has to offer, you are in great hands!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Karen” threatens to call cops on a braai in South Africa Personherebb9 3 1,112 12-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Call Center Opinions? videogamesrock 10 1,740 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Inside Higher Ed : A Call for Accreditation of Learning that occurs Outside College Saharapost 6 1,580 10-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  The Harvard Biologist Chefs Have on Call Jonathan Whatley 3 950 10-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Roll Tide! dcan 5 981 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Last Post: scorched