Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop -- maximizing subscription
a2jc4life Wrote:It should be comfortably doable to take two Lit classes in a month, right? (I'm looking at Bible as Literature and Literature in the Media.)

Having a fairly good understanding of the Bible, I read through the first three units and did very well on the exams. Having a 90 % plus average, I just attacked the last 4 units cold turkey and finished them in about an hour. All told it took 4 days, maybe 10 hours of my time. If you were not familiar with the subject it would take the 40 or so hours they suggest.
I did 5 courses during my one month subscription. Each course took appx one or two days. I didn't like their test questions at all (nor their history take!) and cancelled after 1 month. I started Holocaust Lit as well, passing the first half in one day, but decided to not renew my subscription or finish it the last day of my month as there were a lot of links broken, etc. (I was also working on other classes that month and in and out of hospital with my mom- but I did get my money's worth out of it)
Modern European History I did in one afternoon.
I had a massive amount of knowledge on the 5 courses I took (used to teach them) so just did all the tests and didn't read anything much, HOWEVER... they don't ask objective anything. It's all entirely subjective! no way half the time to now what they want! Very weird...I got bogged down hating it, but wanted my money's worth!
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
I found the Lit courses much more subjective than the History ones. Bible as Lit was more like a history course than Lit.

People always refer to the "odd questions" on Shmoop. Could someone give a mock example of what this means?
BrandeX Wrote:People always refer to the "odd questions" on Shmoop. Could someone give a mock example of what this means?

http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...-even.html
I didn't keep track of the questions but I can tell you, in a lot of cases they have four options to choose from and none of them are right or they have four options to choose from and two of them are definitely right but you have to try to remember the exact wording they used to clue you in on which one they want you to pick. I was frustrated because I knew the material backward and forward on some of the sections but it didn't matter. I could quote the entire sonnet in Shakespeare and understand it but that wasn't important. I had to answer it in whatever convoluted way they wanted it.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
American History After 1877 - A lot of the questions seem obscure and not only do some questions seem to have no right answers or 2 right answers - some seem to have 3 or four right answers. Knowing American History isn't enough. You have to closely read the material.
Old Guy Wrote:Having a fairly good understanding of the Bible, I read through the first three units and did very well on the exams. Having a 90 % plus average, I just attacked the last 4 units cold turkey and finished them in about an hour. All told it took 4 days, maybe 10 hours of my time. If you were not familiar with the subject it would take the 40 or so hours they suggest.

Good to know. This should hopefully be a fairly quick one for me, then.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Thanks for the explanations.
It depends. if you know the Bible you can do Bible as Literature in 2-3 hours by skipping the entire thing and just doing the tests. If you're familiar with Shakespeare you could do the same thing with those 2 courses. Probably most people could pass Media Literacy without reading any of it too

if you're actually going to go through the material and learn it for the first time, it will take you a few days per course. assuming you have a job and other things going on i dont know why you couldn't do 1 course a week. if you're not working and can study full time i dont know why you couldn't do 2 a week or maybe 3. I work full time and I did 7 study.com courses and 3 shmoop courses in the month of October, but those were mostly in areas i'm familiar with. Some people wouldnt want to keep that pace, or have other commitments or whatever

I think 10 Shmoop courses in a month is do-able though. it wouldnt shock me if someone said they did 15. for what they charge you for a monthly sub it is an amazing deal even if you only do 3 or 4

people complain about the "weird questions" on Shmoop and maybe i haven't taken the courses they have and its worse in those than others but in the ones i've seen so far you will definitely miss some questions here or there because they're worded weird but it won't be enough questions to matter if you know the material. I mean this is pass/fail so all you need to do is pass. If you are at a B-level of understanding the material, you will pass it. if you're at a low C, you might be in trouble.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com transcript - do you need an active subscription? Kones 12 1,015 10-17-2023, 11:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,523 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Labster subscription acethroughcollege 0 604 03-01-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: acethroughcollege
  Sophia.com - Possible to submit touchstones after subscription? studyingfortests 3 2,724 10-16-2021, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,447 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Study.com Submit Papers without Subscription zilla 4 1,095 11-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: zilla
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,844 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 7,966 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,545 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Maximizing Sophia courses at COSC dfrecore 47 9,155 07-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore