Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop required materials
How often are the "required materials" actually required for Shmoop? I just subscribed and opened up "Literature in the Media" to see that you're supposed to have digital access to the NYT and New Yorker, along with a bunch of books and movies you're supposed to watch/read. 

Are these things actually necessary or can you pass Shmoop courses without having to deal with this stuff?
You can get student access to the NYT for $1 per week. You can get student access to the New Yorker at a 12 weeks for $6 introductory rate. Both include full archival access. Of course you'll have to actually be a student somewhere.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
Hmm. I'll have to look for those.

But is it this a common thing with Shmoop? I was under the impression that Shmoop included everything, but I guess that explains why it's cheaper than the other providers.
(03-21-2018, 04:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Hmm. I'll have to look for those.

But is it this a common thing with Shmoop? I was under the impression that Shmoop included everything, but I guess that explains why it's cheaper than the other providers.

I think it's common for the Lit courses to need books. Another user here was a bit upset that after enrolling she had to spend a week gathering up the books and movies that were required, wasting some of the membership time.

I was considering trying Shmoop next month. This kind of makes me rethink it. Don't want to waste time having to go look for stuff.
A list of classes that outside sources are needed would be nice to see. Could gather everything ahead of time to avoid wasting membership time.
If you want to PM me a list of what you'd take at Shmoop, I'll let you know what the required materials are (if any). They really ought to have this information available beforehand.
(03-21-2018, 06:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you want to PM me a list of what you'd take at Shmoop, I'll let you know what the required materials are (if any). They really ought to have this information available beforehand.
I appreciate that. Right now I'm not sure though. I've only glanced over their courses. Haven't compared to degree plans I have yet. I still am working on study.com courses until the end of next month. That's when I was looking at doing a month at Shmoop to see if I like it.
I took 5 of the lit courses from them and never used an outside book. Most of the books are available with Shmoop summaries. And if they don't have them, someone does. I found Holocaust Lit to be the hardest. Shmoop doesn't have a summary of one of the books (The Sunflower), but it was described in detail in the unit. And I admit to getting very confused by Everything is Illuminated (book and movie).

Their other courses are likely to have all the books either in their database or somewhere online.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • Muldoon
my experience with Shmoop is that you can pass the courses purely with the summaries Shmoop provides you. I would not buy any materials to take the courses if i were you, especially because some of them literally "require" you to buy 40 books or something ridiculous like that

Holocaust Lit asks you for something like 6, 3 of which I already owned, and I passed the sections on the other 3 no problem. Just really read the summaries closely and you'll be fine
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Muldoon
Wasn't planning on buying anything since I think most of the stuff can be found at the library. But not having to acquire them at all is even better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,473 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,903 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,133 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,562 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,265 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,162 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,733 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 764 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  New Shmoop Course: African-American Literature eriehiker 5 1,591 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Shmoop Extention jamshid666 10 2,166 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jamshid666