Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com
OD Course, they don't let you know which question you got wrong, you can't go back and review the quiz once you done it. It's hard to know the area you need to review and study for. Just my 1.2 cents worth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes timblackwell's post:
  • camjenks
Oh yeah, I see that now. At least I can track my quiz percentage.

I'm liking the OD course a lot, but feel like it would be hard for someone without any experience. They seem to sometimes introduce new material in the exercise answer, with no real explanation. I don't mind, but I feel like this would be confusing to others.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • camjenks
(12-09-2018, 10:35 AM)timblackwell Wrote: OD Course, they don't let you know which question you got wrong, you can't go back and review the quiz once you done it. It's hard to know the area you need to review and study for. Just my 1.2 cents worth.

That was one of several reasons I didn't continue with OD courses and just went back to Study.com.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Exactly, but guess for a free course with a $9.00 proctored, you get what you pay for. I think it's more growing pains for a new startup. Maybe they'll listen to the complaints on here and adjust .
(10-21-2018, 11:06 AM)eriehiker Wrote: 68.24% final score on onlinedegree.com python intro. to programming.  Bummer.  BUMMER!

3 month wait to retake.

I am an English/social science high school teacher and I have been taking as many math and computer science courses as is possible to extend my knowledge.  It took me two tries to pass C++ programming at Straighterline and it will, apparently, take me at least two tries at onlinedegree.com for python.  I just have to say that I found the course to be difficult, informative and legitimate.  Hats off to onlinedegree.com for creating free courses that are pretty good.

How did the final compare to the quizzes? I'm trying to gauge how much more I should review. I got between 80% and 100% on almost all the quizzes, with a few being 66%, so I should be pretty good, but this just covered so much material, I'm a little nervous that It will be a really hard final.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(10-21-2018, 11:06 AM)eriehiker Wrote: It took me two tries to pass C++ programming at Straighterline and it will, apparently, take me at least two tries at onlinedegree.com for python.  I just have to say that I found the course to be difficult, informative and legitimate.  Hats off to onlinedegree.com for creating free courses that are pretty good.

OD's course is easier than SL C++, right?

Three months is a while!

You haven't had an OD transcript evaluated at TESU yet?

I'm working on the OD python course as well... its not the best resource for learning python, but the videos are ok. The quizzes sometimes ask questions about material they didn't touch on, which makes it more difficult and some video tutorials contradict each other since they patch together the program from different sources. I may come back to the course after learning python elsewhere. So far, quiz scores are around an 80% with exams, because they didn't teach some of the info they quiz you on.

Since OD is free, its hard to complain. What I use to learn coding:

coursera (its helpful to sign up to get feedback and ask questions about the practice exercises)
commonlounge - small annual fee, lots of exercises and a full list of cs/tech topics to study, they have a mentor feedback option
W3resource/W3schools - free, teaches all the coding languages, lots of practice exercises and solutions available
udemy - some courses include lots of exercises, you have to search
books - sometimes just a good intro book is more than all you need
youtube - great tutorials and examples
skillshare - they also have a number of coding tutorials, not many exercises though
[-] The following 2 users Like !=scholar's post:
  • gamebradie, Ideas
for learning python you should check out http://automatetheboringstuff.com/

completely free
I've been coding on and off for 20 years. Not expert level but pretty decent at C#, C and Python and I'm on section 8 of the Intro to Python course. The quizzes are very ambiguous. I think I got a 65% on one of them and so many of the questions I could justify multiple answers to. The material and coding examples are trivial for me but the quizzes are just really poorly put together. I'm going to stick it out but probably would advice people to take a different course if you're a beginner.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,260 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,779 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia-Introduction to Python Programming Juliocrx 2 1,699 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Juliocrx
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia courses coming: Python and Business Communication! MNomadic 27 4,561 08-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,463 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 888 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 986 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 927 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,249 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045