Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South College announces competency-based DBA
(07-08-2022, 11:18 AM)cerich67 Wrote: On another note, I will be applying on Monday for the South College DBA program Oct start. They will have it in the enrollment system then.

I will certainly post if it proves to be good or bad and most likely some of both and a lot of in between. Unless the courses prove to be stupid difficult, I tend not to complain too much when faced with moderate level of difficulty, just dig in instead. I believe that university should challenge us  and the learning is as important as the degree. I did graduate with a 4.0 in my HAU MBA and know the fellow students that are tracking with me getting A's have worked hard as well. No question I could have passed everything and knocked off easily a third of my study and assignment efforts, but then I would have only been cheating myself. I also have a bit of ADHD and the grind of busywork is truly, truly more painful than the actual work itself.
Likewise, South College will prob be my school of choice. I Might as start in Oct as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb0433's post:
  • cerich67
(07-08-2022, 11:50 AM)jb0433 Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 11:18 AM)cerich67 Wrote: On another note, I will be applying on Monday for the South College DBA program Oct start. They will have it in the enrollment system then.

I will certainly post if it proves to be good or bad and most likely some of both and a lot of in between. Unless the courses prove to be stupid difficult, I tend not to complain too much when faced with moderate level of difficulty, just dig in instead. I believe that university should challenge us  and the learning is as important as the degree. I did graduate with a 4.0 in my HAU MBA and know the fellow students that are tracking with me getting A's have worked hard as well. No question I could have passed everything and knocked off easily a third of my study and assignment efforts, but then I would have only been cheating myself. I also have a bit of ADHD and the grind of busywork is truly, truly more painful than the actual work itself.
Likewise, South College will prob be my school of choice. I Might as start in Oct as well.

Awesome!

(07-08-2022, 11:48 AM)ss20ts Wrote: So everyone gets an A? You either get an A or don't complete the course from the way this is described. No one gets a B ever. Weird. You get to keep editing your papers until the rubric is marked as mastered? This seems really odd for graduate work.

Doesn't quite say that, note part about mentor and it doesn't say unlimited attempts. I imagine at some point, which would have to be documented somewhere (because accreditation) it becomes an academic progress, probation or fail situation. I don't intend to test that process if I can at all avoid it
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Exciting! For-profit colleges usually aren't all that personal, but I was connected to Dr. Patrick early on when I contacted them about their EdD program last year. I appreciated that a program coordinator was willing to talk to me on the phone because Arizona State University, a traditional university, couldn't even give me detailed information on their DBH program or give me contact information for a coordinator or professor.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • cerich67, Vle045

You have identified a solid opportunity. I will be watching your progress with interest. What are your thoughts on the timeline and cost to complete this program? I am interested in the Organizational Leadership specialization. Do you think they would accept a Canadian resident into the program? 

I have reached the halfway point at HAU and have enjoyed the experience and results thus far. I can see how you would want to continue after completing the MBA.

MBA, magna cum laude,  Hellenic American University 
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University
ASBA, Thomas Edison State University
Associate of Arts,  Thomas Edison State University
Business Management/Industrial Relations,  Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Mortgage Brokerage Licensing(MBABC),  Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia
(07-09-2022, 06:54 PM)bmac66 Wrote:

You have identified a solid opportunity. I will be watching your progress with interest. What are your thoughts on the timeline and cost to complete this program? I am interested in the Organizational Leadership specialization. Do you think they would accept a Canadian resident into the program? 

I have reached the halfway point at HAU and have enjoyed the experience and results thus far. I can see how you would want to continue after completing the MBA.
I am relatively confident I could do in 3 terms/year and a half. The BSBA built well into MBA and MBA builds well into the DBA. Lots of subjects in the DBA that I have taken on path so far and have experience IRL as well. Given it is competency based, that should make a difference. The cost is 6k a term, but SC will give me the vets discount of $1000 a term even being a Canadian Forces veteran (so I am confident they are fine with a Canadian enrolling). If I do manage in 3 terms that will be 15K USD, which for a RA is a bargain. I seriously wish they had university in their name over college ..because I am Canadian and I am sure you get it. The for profit bugs me a bit, but really for my purposes isn't a deal breaker.

If I pull this off per my plan, thanks to degreeforum I will have done a 4 yr undergrad, 2 year MBA and a doctorate in exactly 3 1/2 years of actually doing coursework and for just a touch over $25,000 USD, all regionally accredited.

I will also be doing the Org Leadership pathway, so will see you there along the way!
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 9 users Like cerich67's post:
  • armado, datby98, Jonathan Whatley, LevelUP, MNomadic, origamishuttle, Pikachu, rachel83az, TINASAM
OK, so they have the DBA populated in their admissions drop down menu and I did in fact apply for admission today at 2:45 eastern. I sent HAU the SC request for transcript form for my MBA and now I wait.

As some expressed concerns with how long SC takes, I figured I would post as each step occurs. Obviously, HAU sending the transcript by mail signed and sealed is out of my and SC's control as well. So... let's all see what happens eh?

Dr Patrick told me admissions only need proof of my masters, the application process asked about HS and undergrad as well, if there is any disconnect/confusion there I will let everyone know. I only am requesting MBA transcript gets sent at this time, if the admissions office needs more, well everyone will find out including Dr Patrick..LOL.

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • Life_One
(07-07-2022, 05:56 AM)eLearner Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 10:10 PM)Vle045 Wrote: What is the cost?  I’m sure it’s probably smacking me in the face, but I’m not seeing it..

https://www.south.edu/wp-content/uploads...Online.pdf

But even that isn't as specific as it needs to be. I remember being critical of their other program for this same reason.

So, doing the math, I see $3975 per qtr per 10-20 credit hours, but, how would this realistically break down for the DBA presuming a working professional would do this and it would likely take someone at least 1-2 years to complete? I am trying to get a ballpark total cost for the DBA although I realize this can vary by the individual?

EducationSeeker
(07-11-2022, 11:11 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 10:10 PM)Vle045 Wrote: What is the cost?  I’m sure it’s probably smacking me in the face, but I’m not seeing it..

But even that isn't as specific as it needs to be. I remember being critical of their other program for this same reason.

So, doing the math, I see $3975 per qtr per 10-20 credit hours, but, how would this realistically break down for the DBA presuming a working professional would do this and it would likely take someone at least 1-2 years to complete? I am trying to get a ballpark total cost for the DBA although I realize this can vary by the individual?

EducationSeeker

The DBA and EdD are not even on that.

They are $6,000 per six month terms. SC has various grants that can knock $1,000 off that (first responder, WGU grad, military veterans).

So a year and a half would be $18,000 without any grants, $15,000 with
Two years would be $24,000 without grants, $20,000 with grants.

If someone thinks it will take over 2 years, especially without grant , I would actually recommend looking closely at other programs because there are some that will be same price and is locked in in case you take longer.

Thanks Degreeforum!
(07-12-2022, 08:49 AM)cerich67 Wrote:

EducationSeeker

They are $6,000 per six month terms. SC has various grants that can knock $1,000 off that (first responder, WGU grad, military veterans).

If someone thinks it will take over 2 years, especially without grant , I would actually recommend looking closely at other programs because there are some that will be same price and is locked in in case you take longer.

Cerich67-

Thank you for the straightforward estimate. That is helpful. I don't think $15-20k is a bad price for a DBA and is worthwhile to contact South University. I am going to contact.

I appreciate the info.

Education Seeker
Wink 
(07-12-2022, 04:20 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 08:49 AM)cerich67 Wrote:

EducationSeeker

Cerich67-

Thank you for the straightforward estimate. That is helpful. I don't think $15-20k is a bad price for a DBA and is worthwhile to contact South University. I am going to contact.

I appreciate the info.

Education Seeker

Smile There is a South University and they are different, make sure you hit up South College South College

I also sent you a DM

Thanks Degreeforum!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 76 7,777 03-26-2024, 05:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Photo Mexico San Miguel PhD and Poland Jagiellonian College DBA NOT WES! Jack Ma 37 4,429 02-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 264 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,678 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,142 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95
  South College DBA Invitian Code? maxxor6868 0 553 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  South College - DBA him22 2 1,128 02-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  Competency-Based EdD at South College sanantone 38 10,862 11-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  South Eastern Doctor of Education - 2 concentrations, 54 Credits, $27K bjcheung77 0 890 01-27-2022, 08:45 PM
  West Coast Bible College & Seminary Rev 2 2,030 01-16-2022, 07:47 PM