Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South College announces competency-based DBA
South College (RA, for-profit), which already has a WGU-inspired competency-based EdD, has announced a CBE DBA coming in October.

Hopefully, like their EdD, they'll offer WGU grads $1000 tuition discounts per term.

https://www.south.edu/programs/business/...istration/
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 5 users Like jsd's post:
  • indigoshuffle, MNomadic, Pikachu, sanantone, withrown
(07-06-2022, 08:41 PM)jsd Wrote: South College (RA, for-profit), which already has a WGU-inspired competency-based EdD, has announced a CBE DBA coming in October.

Hopefully, like their EdD, they'll offer WGU grads $1000 tuition discounts per term.

https://www.south.edu/programs/business/...istration/
I spoke with Dr. Patrick about this 2 weeks ago and he was super excited about it and me being one of the 1st to start this program IF I can complete my Masters at WGU by Sept  Cool Cool Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb0433's post:
  • origamishuttle
Previous thread about their CBE EdD: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...th-College
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
What is the cost? I’m sure it’s probably smacking me in the face, but I’m not seeing it..
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I am glad they're doing this! However, I did talk with students in their EdD, they're being ran around in circles on their dissertation already. I'm wondering if we can get some people who are doing their EdD to talk about it more on this forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • origamishuttle, ss20ts
(07-06-2022, 11:12 PM)ashkir Wrote: I am glad they're doing this! However, I did talk with students in their EdD, they're being ran around in circles on their dissertation already. I'm wondering if we can get some people who are doing their EdD to talk about it more on this forum.

I recently joined the facebook group for folks doing the EdD there and saw some frustration at getting ahold of mentors, a few posts on grading taking longer than it should but didn't see any mention of anyone expressing that they were getting the run around regards dissertation.

In fact, a few posts wondering who was at that stage and a recent post that only maybe a couple at ABD given it only started last October. In March there was a post that it looked like one person may finish in a year (so this Oct) and 2-3 others may be close.

Having talked with Dr Patrick a few months ago regards the program, I was left with impression that the dissertation was very important to the school because they knew many students would be accelerating and the dissertation's would be under some scrutiny among the academic community. Given that it would not surprise me that they are applying some rigor that may frustrate some. But, flip side is any doctorate program should apply rigor on them. My thinking is a dissertation for a doctorate is something that doing in 6 months  full time would be a challenge even using existing data as South College does. Most practitioner programs for doctorate (EdD, DBA)schedule a year for them and talk alot about extensions, a PhD of course many schools actually will schedule between 2-4 years just for writing one

Of course, given that some other for profit schools have gotten in trouble for dragging people on for years at the dissertation stage I can understand and even share concern there.

I have been considering doing the EdD in Org Leadership, now thinking about DBA vs EdD and would like to see where current students doing EdD are regards dissertation.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(07-06-2022, 10:10 PM)Vle045 Wrote: What is the cost?  I’m sure it’s probably smacking me in the face, but I’m not seeing it..

https://www.south.edu/wp-content/uploads...Online.pdf

But even that isn't as specific as it needs to be. I remember being critical of their other program for this same reason.
(07-07-2022, 12:23 AM)cerich67 Wrote: I recently joined the facebook group for folks doing the EdD there and saw some frustration at getting ahold of mentors, a few posts on grading taking longer than it should but didn't see any mention of anyone expressing that they were getting the run around regards dissertation.

In fact, a few posts wondering who was at that stage and a recent post that only maybe a couple at ABD given it only started last October. In March there was a post that it looked like one person may finish in a year (so this Oct) and 2-3 others may be close.

Having talked with Dr Patrick a few months ago regards the program, I was left with impression that the dissertation was very important to the school because they knew many students would be accelerating and the dissertation's would be under some scrutiny among the academic community. Given that it would not surprise me that they are applying some rigor that may frustrate some. But, flip side is any doctorate program should apply rigor on them. My thinking is a dissertation for a doctorate is something that doing in 6 months  full time would be a challenge even using existing data as South College does. Most practitioner programs for doctorate (EdD, DBA)schedule a year for them and talk alot about extensions, a PhD of course many schools actually will schedule between 2-4 years just for writing one

Of course, given that some other for profit schools have gotten in trouble for dragging people on for years at the dissertation stage I can understand and even share concern there.

I have been considering doing the EdD in Org Leadership, now thinking about DBA vs EdD and would like to see where current students doing EdD are regards dissertation.

There have definitely been complaints about getting responses and grading taking awhile including the dissertation. Part of why a PhD candidate takes so long to write their dissertation is all of the research they have to do. They have to draft surveys and conduct studies. Then they have to analyze the results. They're not doing any of that at South College. They're using already collected data. Some people aren't great at writing and take along time to write. I've written far more pages than a dissertation in the last year so I will never understand why it takes 2 years to write one. I know many people drag their feet with it thus the extensions and programs that are all but dissertation. Don't forget that the longer it takes someone to complete their dissertation the more money the school is making. None of those extensions are free.
(07-06-2022, 11:12 PM)ashkir Wrote: I am glad they're doing this! However, I did talk with students in their EdD, they're being ran around in circles on their dissertation already. I'm wondering if we can get some people who are doing their EdD to talk about it more on this forum.

I had spoken with Dr Patrick earlier this year and reached out regards the DBA. I shared with your comment regards "they're being ran around in circles on their dissertation already". He was taken aback as there is only ONE student in the dissertation phase and they are not getting a run around.

I also mentioned some comments in facebook on grading time, he explained that all courses but the last two are graded in 3 days, the final 2 courses grading can take a little longer as the papers are longer and giving quality feedback takes time. 

So, not quite sure where your assertion came from
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(07-07-2022, 09:52 AM)cerich67 Wrote: I had spoken with Dr Patrick earlier this year and reached out regards the DBA. I shared with your comment regards "they're being ran around in circles on their dissertation already". He was taken aback as there is only ONE student in the dissertation phase and they are not getting a run around.

I also mentioned some comments in facebook on grading time, he explained that all courses but the last two are graded in 3 days, the final 2 courses grading can take a little longer as the papers are longer and giving quality feedback takes time. 

So, not quite sure where your assertion came from

There are a lot of people complaining about grading. There are several comments that papers are supposed to be graded within 3 days and not a single one has been for many students. Maybe Dr. Patrick should join the Facebook group and see what students are talking about. They have been very specific about the issues.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 284 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 77 8,782 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: lidel
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 12 876 04-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Competency-Based EdD at South College sanantone 39 11,360 04-03-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: maguirewj
Photo Mexico San Miguel PhD and Poland Jagiellonian College DBA NOT WES! Jack Ma 37 4,754 02-18-2024, 07:55 PM
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 310 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,830 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,274 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95
  South College DBA Invitian Code? maxxor6868 0 575 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  South College - DBA him22 2 1,155 02-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: maxxor6868