Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting At Capella On Monday
sanantone Wrote:The Capella website gives a list of career possibilities, but they're jobs you don't really need a master's for.

https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/m...-outcomes/

It would seem also that most of those jobs don't require a degree in psychology either, more likely just a degree. Honestly it seems unless your going for a Doctorate the Master level of a psychology degree is more novelty. That being said I am personally looking at their Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology to complement my MBA (when it is done). I am also hoping that some of the courses from the Master's will transfer over when I am able to pursue my PsyD or PhD. I believe that is the best way to look at the Masters level of Psychology as a stepping stone, unless your talking about a Clinical Counseling degree which would allow to become a licensed therapist. However even then most therapists just use that position to chase their Doctorate, at least the ones I know.
johnjaxs Wrote:It would seem also that most of those jobs don't require a degree in psychology either, more likely just a degree. Honestly it seems unless your going for a Doctorate the Master level of a psychology degree is more novelty. That being said I am personally looking at their Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology to complement my MBA (when it is done). I am also hoping that some of the courses from the Master's will transfer over when I am able to pursue my PsyD or PhD. I believe that is the best way to look at the Masters level of Psychology as a stepping stone, unless your talking about a Clinical Counseling degree which would allow to become a licensed therapist. However even then most therapists just use that position to chase their Doctorate, at least the ones I know.

Depending on the state and the program, a master's in psychology can qualify one for a mental health or professional counselor license. I/O psychologists don't have to worry about licensure, but at least a master's degree is expected to get into the field. A doctorate is preferred.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I found some interesting articles on careers in sports psychology and also a job page on the Association for Applied Sports Psychology website. They also offer certification.

Hot careers: Sport psychology
Career as a Sports Psychologist | CareersinPsychology.org
Association for Applied Sport Psychology: Employment Opportunities
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Depending on the state and the program, a master's in psychology can qualify one for a mental health or professional counselor license. I/O psychologists don't have to worry about licensure, but at least a master's degree is expected to get into the field. A doctorate is preferred.

Just asking, but what is your opinion on my plan? My main idea behind pursuing a Masters in I/O Psychology is to continue my psychology field as far as I can without needing to complete a residency/intern requirement as of now. Since being in the army it is highly unlikely that I would be able to spend time at a internship or residency for a 1yr. So that would have to wait until I am out of the army. I also see I/O Psychology as having more worth in a business environment then a MS in General Psychology, thus being a complement to my MBA.
mog538 Wrote:Less than a year ago I had no thoughts of finishing my undergrad. Now thanks to everyone here I have not only finished my BA but have also completed two courses towards an MBA and have now put that on hold to pursue a Masters in Sports Psychology at Capella (which will be more relevant to my career in the short term).

The discussions on this site are fantastic. It's amazing how a seemingly irrelevant discussion can open your eyes to a new possibility.

I aim to share some of my thoughts on the Capella program and their flexpath delivery method as someone like me might find it in a few years and then pursue something they didn't hink possible as I am doing now.

Thank you degreeforum.net!

Hey mog535....just checking to see how you're progressing?
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
Capella Flexpath maybe the only "for profit" university that I will remotely look at as it's "more affordable" than the traditional for profit schools.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Capella Flexpath maybe the only "for profit" university that I will remotely look at as it's "more affordable" than the traditional for profit schools.

Patten is cheaper and for-profit (but the old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies with them; though I wouldn't say that in general with education). I don't know much about Capella, though I haven't heard many positives. But I used the same logic you just did when I started with Patten, and looking back I wish I just trusted my gut instinct and avoided the for-profit.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The one big for-profit that mostly gets positive reviews is APUS (American Military University and American Public University). They aren't as cheap as the competency-based programs, but their tuition rates are pretty low relative to comparable schools.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
mog538 Wrote:Less than a year ago I had no thoughts of finishing my undergrad. Now thanks to everyone here I have not only finished my BA but have also completed two courses towards an MBA and have now put that on hold to pursue a Masters in Sports Psychology at Capella (which will be more relevant to my career in the short term).

The discussions on this site are fantastic. It's amazing how a seemingly irrelevant discussion can open your eyes to a new possibility.

I aim to share some of my thoughts on the Capella program and their flexpath delivery method as someone like me might find it in a few years and then pursue something they didn't hink possible as I am doing now.

Thank you degreeforum.net!

Congratulations on finishing your BA and maybe your MBA! Based on the dates, you must be close to finishing. Any updates?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,358 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,447 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 4,939 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Online JD Starting Fall 2023 - 1-week residency sanantone 2 822 12-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Capella Flexpath Alpha 0 724 06-03-2021, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Capella MEd Flexpath Teaching & Learning - $7200 and up bjcheung77 3 1,729 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: sofinel
  Capella Flexpath MS Psychology I/O lyndsey233 0 855 06-24-2020, 07:50 AM
Last Post: lyndsey233
  Capella or Walden MBA nj593 0 815 05-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Last Post: nj593
Wink Help deciding (MBA) Purdue Global/Walden/Capella? eradreede 13 4,716 04-13-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capella FlexPath or Walden Tempo reyarl884 13 4,456 11-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: jsd