Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Straighterline to Excelsior
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to begin a BA in Excelsior soon (after several weeks of looking for information), but I first wanted to check with current students whether StraighterLine credits transfer only before enrolling, or if they're accepted at any time.

On the other hand, I'm planning to take a few classes that are not listed in the accepted classes for Excelsior. Are SL classes fine as long as they are ACE approved?

Thanks.
Welcome to forum!

Yes, you can take courses/exams before and after enrollment. Choose carefully so that you can be as sure as possible they will transfer.

I wonder who is responsible for getting the chart at SL updated. Here is some info I learned about the issue:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post123595
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Oh, fantastic! Thank you very much.

I was going to take the US History and Western Civ classes for the depth requirement (history). They are both ACE-approved, but neither appeared on the list.

It's great to know that they'll be transferred. I'm new to the CLEP and DANTES tests, so prefer to earn a few "traditional-ish" credits through classes like SL instead of testing out of everything.
silvis Wrote:Oh, fantastic! Thank you very much.

I was going to take the US History and Western Civ classes for the depth requirement (history). They are both ACE-approved, but neither appeared on the list.

It's great to know that they'll be transferred. I'm new to the CLEP and DANTES tests, so prefer to earn a few "traditional-ish" credits through classes like SL instead of testing out of everything.

do NOT assume they will transfer in just because someone on these forums said it will

you MUST ask an adviser first

I know for a fact that the 2 Pharmacology courses are not accepted at all, for any degree (asked my adviser and they said no -- I'm going for a BS in Psychology -- I figured they would be accepted under Applied Sciences because I would learn more about "drug treatment for depression and other psychological issues" or "better understanding of drugs and drug abuse"
but they said, no, they don't consider those courses "academic", they consider them "vocational"

here is part of the email they sent me
Quote:"No, we do not accept Straighterline Pharmacology I and II. Even though they are ACE evaluated, they are considered vocational/certificate level and would therefore not apply to a Bachelors degree.

The list of courses we accept is extensive, so it would be difficult for me to provide you with a list of what we do and don't accept. As you take courses, you are just expected to get them approved by me first and I'll let you know if they apply."

I would certainly think they would accept US History and Western Civilization, but you can't be sure.

Also, if you're taking them to satisfy the depth requirement, you need a couple of upper level credits too.
bluebooger Wrote:do NOT assume they will transfer in just because someone on these forums said it will

you MUST ask an adviser first

Aha, thank you for the warning--I shall certainly contact an advisor before enrolling. I will also come back and post their response, in case others have the same question.

bluebooger Wrote:I would certainly think they would accept US History and Western Civilization, but you can't be sure.

Also, if you're taking them to satisfy the depth requirement, you need a couple of upper level credits too.

Yes, I do have 3 upper-level history credits (from a previous degree), but no lower-level credits. I'm European, and the idea of taking a US History CLEP terrified me, since I have never taken any US History classes.
Double checking with EC is always good advice.

I asked about SL Physics and Western Civilization specifically and was also given the general advice in the link above.

EC appears to be following ACE guidelines, which says Pharmacology is Vocational/Certificate and US History is Baccalaureate/Associate level.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
silvis Wrote:I'm European, and the idea of taking a US History CLEP terrified me, since I have never taken any US History classes.

depending on how much you really want to get into it, you could always buy some videos and then do the CLEP exams
American (U.S.) History | The Great CoursesÂ

I haven't bought any of the American History videos, but I have some of their Psychology, Science and Language videos and most are excellent
NAP Wrote:I asked about SL Physics and Western Civilization specifically and was also given the general advice in the link above.

That sounds great--I'll check with an advisor in case the policies have changed recently, but it's encouraging to read that your advisor approved Western Civ. I'll also contact them because it's always good to get written confirmation (just in case).

bluebooger Wrote:depending on how much you really want to get into it, you could always buy some videos and then do the CLEP exams

I had downloaded some videos from iTunesU, but taking a class will be much easier for me than memorizing everything from scratch.
Ok, I agree that ACE shows the SL pharmacology courses as vocational, but I had it sent to EC and EC applied them on my transcript as unapplied credit (I'm no longer an EC student). EC actually applied grades to the courses on my transcript and the school I'm currently attending accepted them along with SL medical terminology towards my current degree. The EC transcript doesn't indicate that the courses were rated as vocational / certificate. They accept ACE courses and they applied these towards a BS degree. I think the best advice is that there are no absolutes and it is best to check with the school where you plan to use the credits. I was surprised EC applied grades to the SL courses since I wasn't aware they would. I thought they were all pass/fail. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
marianne202 Wrote:... EC applied them on my transcript as unapplied credit

they applied these towards a BS degree

I'm confused

are you saying EC accepted the Pharm course as part of the 120 credits needed for your BS ?

or are you saying they just put them on the transcript as part as the credit bank, but they did not count them towards the BS ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,830 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,170 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,925 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,293 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 964 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,263 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,775 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,220 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,393 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,859 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn