Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Study.com new UL CS courses
(05-02-2018, 11:17 AM)kmit Wrote: Hey guys,

Quick update, I talked with the registrar's office this morning and they received my study.com transcript yesterday. I asked if there was any way that they could expedite the evaluation because I am trying to graduate in Sept. The gentleman from the registrars's office said that he would send it over right now. He also said that he wasn't sure of their workload, but he guessed it would take maybe two weeks. It would be amazing if it was only two weeks haha

A little unrelated but, has anybody transferred in CSU MIS440EX recently? What did it come in as?

CSU MIS440EX   transfer as  CIS-499   ( according my pre approval ) 
[-] The following 3 users Like mvk's post:
  • camjenks, kmit, Yenisei
Ahh brilliant! Hopefully we'll find out soon then.

Thank you mvk!
[-] The following 1 user Likes kmit's post:
  • mvk
The credits were posted to my academic evaluation today.

System Analysis was titled: "System Analysis and Design II" CIS-321
Database Management was just "Database Management" CIS-311
Both classes fit into my degree plan for the BACS. This will make getting a degree in CS so much easier and affordable for future students!

If System Analysis comes in reliably as CIS-321, it may be possible to get credit for that and CIS-320 through CSU. I don't know if that would officially duplicate or not.

jsh1138, Have you completed COS-102 and COS-103 from study.com yet?
[-] The following 3 users Like kmit's post:
  • eriehiker, mvk, Yenisei
Cool! Nice info. on the non-duplication.
Great info, kmit, thanks. I was wondering about something, though. Does it really make sense to do both COS-102 and COS-103 if only 2 100-level courses can be used in the AOS if many or most intro programming courses will be 100 level courses? They do transfer as 100-level courses, right?

EDIT: It looks like only a C programming course would come in as 100 level. Not sure about Java. Straighterline's C ++ comes in as a 200-level, so I guess this is a non-issue.
(05-07-2018, 03:40 PM)Yenisei Wrote: Great info, kmit, thanks. I was wondering about something, though. Does it really make sense to do both COS-102 and COS-103 if only 2 100-level courses can be used in the AOS if many or most intro programming courses will be 100 level courses? They do transfer as 100-level courses, right?

EDIT: It looks like only a C programming course would come in as 100 level. Not sure about Java. Straighterline's C ++ comes in as a 200-level, so I guess this is a non-issue.

Don't forget that you can also use CIS/COS courses in as NatSci, as well as Gen Ed Electives and Free Electives - so those of you good at computers could rack up the computers courses to use throughout the degree.  It would be like a history major taking a bunch of extra history courses and using them in Knowledge of Human Cultures, Gen Ed Electives, and Free Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-07-2018, 03:21 PM)kmit Wrote: The credits were posted to my academic evaluation today.

System Analysis was titled: "System Analysis and Design II" CIS-321
Database Management was just "Database Management" CIS-311
Both classes fit into my degree plan for the BACS. This will make getting a degree in CS so much easier and affordable for future students!

If System Analysis comes in reliably as CIS-321, it may be possible to get credit for that and CIS-320 through CSU. I don't know if that would officially duplicate or not.

jsh1138, Have you completed COS-102 and COS-103 from study.com yet?

From what I understand, a lot of courses that are off by 1 number (like CIS-320 and CIS-321) are can be considered duplicate credits even if they have different course numbers. Though if in this case they are considered Systems Analysis I and II, so that may be okay. If they can stack, that is great since I've signed up for both. I was intending to drop the CBE in favor of the Study.com course, but if they stack I may do both anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yenisei, while I don't need anymore CS credits for the BA, some people might find that taking both courses is helpful if they're just pursuing an ASNSM in CS. I would guess that if they come in as LL COS classes, and don't duplicate, they could both be applied to the ASNSM.

Hmm, that is good to know about classes that are off by 1.

Just out of curiosity, I ran a "What if" academic evaluation for the BSBA in CIS. Under the requirements for CIS-320, it's listed as notstarted for me and CIS-321 drops down to the CS electives. So now I think that they dont duplicate and you can get credit for both. I would reach out to an advisor to double check and get them pre-approved though.
That's interesting, kmit, thanks.
Academic Advising spoke with the Dean's office for me and they were able to make an exception to allow Study.com Systems Analysis and Design to satisfy the BSBA CIS requirement even though it comes in as CIS-321 instead of CIS-320. So they made the exception for me, not sure what that will mean for others that want to take it, but I assume they'll probably get the exception.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 2 users Like camjenks's post:
  • Ideas, Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,280 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,471 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,789 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat