Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu?
Is this possible?

So just started Sept 1, want to switch the MSML will help me advance more in my current position.

What's opinion of msml program? Can anybody give brief run down of required oa and password for each course?

Do I have to wait til March 1 or can I start next month? (Do I have to wait til start of next term or just next calendar month?)
Can you tell me why the MSML would help you advance more in your current position? I'm not sure why they would want that more than an MBA. And, I think overall, an MBA is much more useful and respected in the marketplace.

Not knocking it, as only you know what works best for you, but just curious who told you that this would be a better degree to get.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Mikevalek Wrote:Is this possible?

So just started Sept 1, want to switch the MSML will help me advance more in my current position.

What's opinion of msml program? Can anybody give brief run down of required oa and password for each course?

Do I have to wait til March 1 or can I start next month? (Do I have to wait til start of next term or just next calendar month?)

I agree with dfrecore. The MBA has a lot more utility than a leadership degree. But you already asked this question back in March and it was answered by a lot of folks. Can you be more specific in your situation so we can better help you?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Mikevalek Wrote:Is this possible?

Your student mentor at WGU is going to be a better person to ask. You should be able to switch, but you will likely have to wait until next term. Additionally, you need to look at the courses that you've taken and see if they'll transfer. About half of the MBA courses are the same as the MSML, but if you've taken the courses that don't overlap, you're going to be wasting time.

As others have said, the MBA is generally going to be better. It is more hard skills-focused, while the MSML is more soft skills-focused. While I certainly haven't seen it all, I haven't seen any job listings that prefer a leadership degree over a business degree.

I think the MSML is very appropriate for people in certain positions -- especially public sector -- who just need any Master's to get promoted. Beyond that, you really need the MBA. Yes, everyone else has an MBA, too. But, when the recruiter is using the MBA checkbox as a filtering tool, your MSML is going to get you filtered.

Another option, which may make you even more marketable, is to do both. Knock the MBA out and leave yourself 4 months or so in your last term, then crank out the remaining MSML classes in those 4 months.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
MBA, they shouldn't even be offering that silly MSLS.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I think leadership degrees are useless beyond checking the box. MBAs have enough of the soft skills courses. I don't think it's necessary to take 30-36 credits in leadership courses. Leadership programs are nothing but watered down organizational psychology programs. One would be better off with just getting a degree in I/O psychology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The only reason I could think of to get the MSML instead of the MBA is if you wanted to check the box ASAP but also intended to pursue a brand-name MBA down the road. Otherwise, the MBA is probably going to be better for you in every way.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

You also posted this to the WGU reddit last night and got similar answers. This isn't the best idea.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
It might be interesting to see what Masters can be completed in the shortest amount of time, and I've no doubt the MSLS from WGU would be a contender......if it sort of guaranteed less than 6 months then OK. So many folks have slayed the WGU or Patten MBA in that time and it has the utility of actually being an MBA....makes the choice kinda easy.

Go to linked in and see how many folks have an MSLS in the role you seek. Compare that to folks in the role with an MBA.

Look at job boards with the same question. I think you will find the MBA is the overwhelming winner.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I completed the WGU MBA and I am starting the MSML Oct 1st. I felt that the MSML was a good tool to become more marketable. Plus, after completing the MBA you only have to take six classes. The MSML is a good second masters but the MBA is the better choice.
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 293 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 15,451 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,274 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,206 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,360 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML? Jwheels27 29 4,731 06-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,720 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,725 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045