Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Non-wetern Literature requirement
Sorry if this was already posted. This course is self-paced and only $450.
Course Search Results - Colorado Online and Distance Education
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I had looked into that one during my course search. Your link goes to a state-sponsored site for Colorado distance courses. That information may, unfortunately, be outdated as the Adams State College (now Adams State University) site does not list that course as available through distance learning. I'm going to write Adams and inquire further (I am currently taking a writing class through ASU) and will report back with my findings. BTW, tuition for ASU distance courses is now $495, but still very reasonable.

Thanks for posting!

Still on the hunt for TESC Non-Western Literature alternatives... keep 'em coming!
Don't know if this will help, but Amarillo College has Non-Western World Literature available online as ENGL-2331. You's have to research what the requirements to take classes with them would be and when it is available.
Non-Western Literature - Course Introduction - Amarillo College Dr. Mary Dodson
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I took the non-western world literature class at TESC and got an A. It was a very interesting class, much more so than African Encounters which I'm taking right now. I'm curious as to why you feel the need to skip the non-western world lit?
Thomas Edison State College
AAS - Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies (done! Graduating in December 2012!)
BA - English (done! Graduating in June 2013!)

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra - 70, College Algebra - 80
CLEP:
College Comp - 55, A&I Lit - 74, English Lit - 57, American Lit - 62, Humanities - 58, Social Sciences & History - 66,
Info Sys & Comp Applications - 70, Intro. Psych - 60, Human Growth & Development - 55, Biology - 56
DSST:
Race to Save the Planet - 66, Intro. to World Religions - 462, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union - 56
FEMA:
21 credits - done!
Hallelujah I'm done all the tests I had to take! Thank you IC! Smile :hurray:
For me, it is not so much needing to skip the TESC course as it is finding alternatives (nothing wrong with having options!). Also, I haven't read any reviews or comments from those who have taken NWL, except for your encouraging post, just now. African Encounters, on the other hand, has been reviewed as somewhat difficult, which led me to consider NWL, or an alternative.

The other upper level courses I have remaining (not including the capstone) are all self-paced study (Adams and BYU) and although flexible, can lead to procrastination. At least in my case. Big Grin
I would take Nonwestern World Lit over African Encounters any day. It's not so much that AE is hard, because I would say that the papers and class discussions are about on par with the other lit classes I've taken, it's just that the books we have to read suck. I hate autobiographies and the fact that I have zero interest in African culture just makes it worse (all 4 books are autobiographies). The 2nd book we had to read was all about the Truth Commission and how South Africa dealt with the atrocities during apartheid. Let me tell you, the very graphic descriptions of what happened were just horrible. It literally turned my stomach to read it. I hate horror movies and from the one or two that I have seen I would rank this book right along with them because of the content. This was a very difficult book for me to get through.

So all that being said, I would take the non-western world lit if I were you, skip African Encounters and try to find another way of getting the upper level credit you need. You could even do a PLA if you didn't find something else outside of TESC.

I see you are getting your BA in English also, I just wanted to mention that the nonwestern world lit class will go into your academic eval under the section of the same name.

Good luck!

Amy
AAS - Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies (done! Graduating in December 2012!)

ALEKS:
CLEP:
College Comp - 55, A&I Lit - 74, English Lit - 57, American Lit - 62, Humanities - 58, Social Sciences & History - 66,
Info Sys & Comp Applications - 70, Intro. Psych - 60, Human Growth & Development - 55, Biology - 56
DSST:
Race to Save the Planet - 66, Intro. to World Religions - 462, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union - 56
FEMA:
21 credits - done!
af2012 Wrote:You could even do a PLA if you didn't find something else outside of TESC.

I see you are getting your BA in English also, I just wanted to mention that the nonwestern world lit class will go into your academic eval under the section of the same name.

Hi Amy,

Has anyone tried A PLA? How did you go about it?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "nonwestern world lit class" going "into the section of the same name." Is there literally a non-western literature section in the TESC English template?
I took 2 PLAs last semester & am doing another one now. It's basically a glorified research paper based on knowledge that you already have gained through other means (like life experience, job experience, etc.) PLAs are a great way of getting upper & lower level credit without having to take a class for stuff you already know. It helped me out because there aren't alot of upper level choices for English majors.

For more information on PLAs @ TESC: Thomas Edison State College: PLA Self-Assessment Guide
For the PLA database: Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings

For those of us getting their BA in English, there is a non-western lit category in our Area of Study section on our academic evaluation, it looks like this:

C: Non Western Lit (Completed) > Complete one Non-Western Literature course (non-British; non-American).
1.. LIT-460... Nonwestern World Lit. I.. 3.00 A

Amy

ALEKS:
CLEP:
DSST:
FEMA:
21 credits - done!
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:Charter Oak State College
ENG 302 World Literature for Children (8-week syllabus, 15-week syllabus, Course Schedule Search)

As of this writing, the next section clearly open for registration is an 8-week section running from March 25 to May 19. There are a few spots open for a 15-week section from January 22 to May 5. The normal registration period for that session ended today at noon!, but a call to the registrar might still get you in.

This is an ENG course and Liberal Arts at Charter Oak, not a professional-studies education course, and it counts for both the Non-U.S. History/Culture and Global Understanding gen ed requirements at CO.

I called COSC about this course and it does meet their non-western literature requirement for a general studies degree with a concentration in English. The women I spoke with did not know if TESC would accept it, but she said they should unless the requirement is that the literature must be completely non-western. This course is not completely non-western literature. Has anyone had success transferring this class into TESC? Looks like a course my daughter would really enjoy.
sanantone Wrote:Sorry if this was already posted. This course is self-paced and only $450.
Course Search Results - Colorado Online and Distance Education

Do you know of anyone who has had success passing this class in for the non-western lit. requirement?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,725 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,664 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,560 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  TESU - Free Ethics Course/ Upper-Level vs Ethics Requirement Silly_Me 12 3,204 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  To CLEP the Survey of Lit II requirement: are the optional essays really optional? leland.kirk 2 1,221 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  TESU Cornerstone - cheapest way to satisfy requirement? Silly_Me 7 1,660 04-14-2018, 11:40 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,566 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  TESU Diversity Requirement? YeaStudy 5 1,825 04-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  A&I literature Information Literacy TESU fork 5 1,700 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU BSBA, FIN-200 satisfies core finance requirement? StoicJ 7 1,969 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore