Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC does not accept ALEKS Beginning Algebra.
I know I said I wasn't going to come back on, but I have been going back and forth with a TESC advisor about ALEKS Beginning Algebra being accepted as the 3-credit college level mathematics requirements for my BA Natural Sciences and Mathematics. I was going to take more than that, anyway, but I am so upset to say that the advisor told me they made the decision in August 2010 NOT to accept it. Would need to take a minimum of Intermediate Algebra, so here I go starting all over again and I was a hair away from having this as a credit. I originally started with PreCalc and that was a little too hard as I was teaching myself something I never had a class for.

Anyway, what a downer. I searched through these forums and saw that others had theirs accepted. It doesn't say anything about it not being a college level mathematics and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about having it accepted.

Also wondering what the difference is between Intermediate Algebra and Beginning Algebra. I hope I.A. isn't too much "heavier" than Beg. I thought Beginning Algebra was pretty darn doable and was really hoping to get my math out of the way.

:nopity: banghead Sad

I was doing such a good job of focusing and will obviously continue, but I was really excited to know that I was only a few percent away from getting a credit. Still staying focused, but a little heartbroken. Guess I'll move on with life now.
They better take mines or else. banghead

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
I don't know of anyone who has had it accepted lately. Mine was accepted in April '10 so it was probably one of the last. I did have to fight for it.

I was told they don't give credit for begining courses???
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I guess so Sad, but they should state that clearly. I would have been able to transfer that this week, but now I need to go on to Intermediate Algebra. This sucks. I hope I.A. isn't much harder.
Oh, I would have to hurt someone if EC did that with my Business Stats one... I'm at 58% + 13% so... I should finish it in the morning (it's past midnight, too tired to take another assessment).

BTW, if anyone intends to do Business Stats with ALEKS do PDF prints of the examples... SOOO much easier to do the assessment when you have good notes. If you're too lazy (it takes a while, open practice, example, print, rename file, practice, example.... repeat until there are no new ones, then actually do the problems) I might be willing to share what I have (it's not all, but a good collection) after I clean them up (IE remove my name from the print out).
Excelsior954 Wrote:They better take mines or else. banghead
They won't, but it looks like you're at EC, so things may be different.
valsacar Wrote:Oh, I would have to hurt someone if EC did that with my Business Stats one... I'm at 58% + 13% so... I should finish it in the morning (it's past midnight, too tired to take another assessment).

BTW, if anyone intends to do Business Stats with ALEKS do PDF prints of the examples... SOOO much easier to do the assessment when you have good notes. If you're too lazy (it takes a while, open practice, example, print, rename file, practice, example.... repeat until there are no new ones, then actually do the problems) I might be willing to share what I have (it's not all, but a good collection) after I clean them up (IE remove my name from the print out).

Yes, I guess there's not much I can do about it accept hop into Intermediate Algebra and PRAY that I "get it". PreCalc was doable, but Beginning Algebra was REALLY doable and I was so happy about getting a credit out of the way. Going to start on my I.A. right now and also signing up for a SL course.
We all have set backs. Now get back to work Collegestudent7 and do not let this derail your plans.
Excelsior954 Wrote:They better take mines or else. banghead

I'm not sure what the confusion is, they HAVE NOT accepted this class as a 100 level math since last summer, it's been said 100 times here. IN FACT, I'm sure you can find a post or 70 from me early last year-before TESC even made it official- that cautioned everyone about this class and using it for 100 level credit. (for prep toward the intermediate class it's still awesome) Beginning algebra is evaluated as a 086 or 099 type class. The time when TESC awarded credit for it, in my opinion, was a mistake in which they later corrected. They only awarded 100 level credit for a few months if I remember correctly.
cookderosa Wrote:I'm not sure what the confusion is, they HAVE NOT accepted this class as a 100 level math since last summer, it's been said 100 times here. IN FACT, I'm sure you can find a post or 70 from me early last year-before TESC even made it official- that cautioned everyone about this class and using it for 100 level credit. (for prep toward the intermediate class it's still awesome) Beginning algebra is evaluated as a 086 or 099 type class. The time when TESC awarded credit for it, in my opinion, was a mistake in which they later corrected. They only awarded 100 level credit for a few months if I remember correctly.
I literally searched for a week straight and kept reading through the forum. I found a thread where two people said their Beg. Algebra was accepted, but regardless, I guess my thread just made it "loud" and clear for everyone. I'm moving on to I.A. The practice from Beg. Alg. never hurt me. Hope to speed through I.A.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,059 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,691 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 999 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,616 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Beginning my journey coldseal 20 4,354 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Last Post: coldseal
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,345 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,100 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,053 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99