Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC doesn't transfer GPA?!?
I recently read in another post that TESC only transfers the credits, not the GPA associated with them. I could see this being good for some, but in my case I don't like it! I have about 40 credits with a GPA of 3.75 to transfer in, UG, I guess I missed the part about them resetting your GPA when you enroll.
If it matters to you, then take one class through TESC, get an A, and have a 4.0.
Degrees:
AA in Teaching, St. Charles CC
A in Religious Studies, NationsUniversity
Working on B of Rel. Studies, NU

Passed:
CLEP: A&I (78) Soc and His (65)
DSST: Tech Writing (72)

Other credits:
15 FEMA credits
64 credits from AA degree in Teaching, St. Charles CC
A in Religious Studies, NationsUniversity
The grad school I enrolled with took all of my cumulative credits and computed a GPA. I believe this is a common practice. Otherwise if you're looking to graduate with distinction from TESC you'll need to build a GPA through their coursework.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
which is the easiest class to take... to establish GPA
Thanks
Reshab
Thomas Edison - BSBA - CIS

My Degree Plan http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfpm6vr2_19g9zhksgf
I encourage everyone to consider the pros and cons of how the TESC GPA system works. I have a few cents to throw in.

No grad school seriously considers you a "4.0" student taking 1 class. They will absolutely consider all of your grades, because they will require all of your transcripts from all of your institutions you attended. Holding the degree from TESC isn't away around grades earned at other colleges.

Some of the applications I filled out wanted GPA "in major" in addition to GPA cumulative.

If you don't plan on going to grad school, I think it's a waste of money to take a class at TESC simply for the purpose of establishing a GPA, but that's a personal opinion. The same applies if you're planning to attend an open enrollment type master's program. Since no one actually says they are "open enrollment" I won't make a list- but just say that they are the ones who advertise. There are many regionally accredited master's degrees that are perfectly suitable and perfectly legitimate. Since I would classify TESC as one of these such schools, I would suggest TESC has several master's programs worth considering. Harvard University also has open enrollment into the Extension college- from which you can apply to earn a degree (which is what I am doing)

If you plan to apply for a competitive grad program, I'd suggest that you consider taking mainly courses inside your major (if you have a major) as opposed to exams.
I have a question related to this in regards to Excelsior.

I have 18 undergrad credits from an RA school. These were regular classes, not credit by examination. If I transfer these to Excelsior, will the grade I received in these classes show up on my transcripts? Or will only the name of the course and the credit earned show up on the transcript (no grade)?

Any help would be appreciated.
ideafx Wrote:I have a question related to this in regards to Excelsior.

I have 18 undergrad credits from an RA school. These were regular classes, not credit by examination. If I transfer these to Excelsior, will the grade I received in these classes show up on my transcripts? Or will only the name of the course and the credit earned show up on the transcript (no grade)?

Any help would be appreciated.

As long as they are C's and above, EC will use the grades you earned on your transcript. EC does not transfer in credits for D's and below.
EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
BS-LS: AoF Admin/Mgmt Studies
0 to BS in under 9 months

EXCELSIOR CLASSES (7 Credits)
College Math (A) Eng Comp (B) Info Lit (P)

CLEP (42 Credits)
A&I Lit-6CH (71) SS&H-6CH (66) Humanities-6CH (65) Mgmt (66) Marketing (66) HG&Dev (61) Info Sys&Comp App (60) Sociology (60) Psych (59) Business Law (55) Am Gov't (50)

DSST (57 Credits)
Found of Ed (67-A) Fund of Counseling (67-A) Intro to Business (65-A) Civil War & Recon (62-A) Tech Writing (59-A) Intro Law Enforcement (59-A) Principles of Supervision (58-A) Org Behavior (57-A) Environ&Humanity (53-B) Anthropology (52-B) Astronomy (52-B) World Religions (450) Substance Abuse (450) Ethics in America (447) HTYH (433) Intro to Comp (432) Personal Finance (422) Criminal Justice (409) Mgmt Info Sys (409)

ECE (21 Credits)
HR Mgmt (A) Cultural Diversity © Ethics © Organizational Behavior (B) Found of Gerontology © Psych of A&A © Social Psych ©

Up Next:
MPA @ AMU stating Sept 09
I agree to whatever you said Jeniffer. But here's the thing. to keep cost's minimum we have to go testing way. i know just one class doesn't help for GPA. but you need to have something to write. I am planning for some kind of master's , so have to do something.
Thomas Edison - BSBA - CIS

My Degree Plan http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfpm6vr2_19g9zhksgf
reshab912 Wrote:I agree to whatever you said Jeniffer. But here's the thing. to keep cost's minimum we have to go testing way. i know just one class doesn't help for GPA. but you need to have something to write. I am planning for some kind of master's , so have to do something.
>>

I get what you are saying. Just a quick suggestion before you drop $500, simply call all the grad schools on your list and speak with an advisor. Explain to them that you are using CLEP exams as well as transfer credits- and your regionally accredited college does not issue grades for transfer credits or exams, only credi... what do they suggest for where you write in GPA?

See what they say. I'd be interested to hear, I'm sure anyone going to TESC would benefit from what you find out! (especially if they freak out hilarious that would be good to know too! LOL)
zeroglory Wrote:I recently read in another post that TESC only transfers the credits, not the GPA associated with them. I could see this being good for some, but in my case I don't like it! I have about 40 credits with a GPA of 3.75 to transfer in, UG, I guess I missed the part about them resetting your GPA when you enroll.

I have had several college transcripts sent to TESC and when they had completed my evaluation, they had posted the classes with grades and indicated that I had fulfilled the GPA requirement. I had only 27 credits remaining for a BA in Liberal Studies that I have been testing with CLEP and Dantes. I am now down to 6 remaining credits. They are a little slow in posting credit when they receive a transcript with a passing test, but I am happy with the handling of everything else. I am using TESC to get a 4 year degree that will fulfill the education requirement for the CFP, Certified Financial Planner designation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,643 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  NUR prefix transfer at TESU Cheeseburrito 10 2,234 07-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,981 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,600 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Transfer Credit Evaluation BSBRose21 1 1,174 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Johmford
  Anyone knows what credits could transfer from big 3 to other Universities maplefu 7 1,802 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  HEAT TRANSFER AT TESU darkestjp 1 1,126 04-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sapientes
  Transfer to Excelsior or TESU garrettburton 8 2,457 04-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,107 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99