Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TESU] BA in Computer Science - Jan 2021
(06-29-2021, 10:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 09:53 AM)SlyToxicPanda Wrote: Small update,  I found straighterline calculus way easier than sdc calculus.  Finished in one month with no issues by using the Ti-nspire calculator, that calculator isn't allowed for sdc so that makes the sdc course much harder.

Is it any graphing calculator or is there a list of specific calculators that are allowed? https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/ only says "graphing calculator".

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Calculator

I've done some research on this myself and nowhere does straighterline post any restrictions about what calculator they allow. 
Basically they go off the exam rules for each exam and there are currently no restrictions. 
SDC forces you to use a really terrible calculator
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsarles's post:
  • Pikachu
(06-29-2021, 12:06 PM)jsarles Wrote: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Calculator

I've done some research on this myself and nowhere does straighterline post any restrictions about what calculator they allow. 
Basically they go off the exam rules for each exam and there are currently no restrictions. 

Thanks! That is very useful. I'm considering trying to CLEP Calculus and then going with SL if I can't pass the CLEP.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-29-2021, 12:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 12:06 PM)jsarles Wrote: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Calculator

Thanks! That is very useful. I'm considering trying to CLEP Calculus and then going with SL if I can't pass the CLEP.

Yeah JFYI I have taken CLEP Calculus and failed it, the nice thing about straighterline is that there are 6 "exams" the first exam you get unlimited tries, the next 4 exams you get three tries , and the final exam you get one try. 
The midterm is also just the first two exams combined and the final is the last two exams combined. 
I really did not put a ton of effort into this class, the format is really kind and the calculator makes it really a breeze. 
You can basically take the first 5 exams in one day with no reprecussions, if you failed all of those exams you would still get two more tries on each exam to review what you did wrong. I honestly just took exams as a means of studying. 
I finished with a 79 with only a month of studying and honestly I only studied on half of the days in that month. 
Only the last exam is proctored and every exam is open book. 
I don't think I ever used up the entire time in any of the exams, I just did the problems I knew how to do and guessed on everything else. 

I guess you can tell I am biased towards straighterline but your mileage and situation may vary. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like jsarles's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(06-29-2021, 01:33 PM)jsarles Wrote: Yeah JFYI I have taken CLEP Calculus and failed it, the nice thing about straighterline is that there are 6 "exams" the first exam you get unlimited tries, the next 4 exams you get three tries , and the final exam you get one try. 
The midterm is also just the first two exams combined and the final is the last two exams combined. 
I really did not put a ton of effort into this class, the format is really kind and the calculator makes it really a breeze. 
You can basically take the first 5 exams in one day with no reprecussions, if you failed all of those exams you would still get two more tries on each exam to review what you did wrong. I honestly just took exams as a means of studying. 
I finished with a 79 with only a month of studying and honestly I only studied on half of the days in that month. 
I don't think I ever used up the entire time in any of the exams, I just did the problems I knew how to do and guessed on everything else. 

I guess you can tell I am biased towards straighterline but your mileage and situation may vary. Smile

What format are the SL exams? I'm guessing not multiple choice but do you have to actually show work or can you do something like enter X = 37 and you're good?

One thing I hated about ASU Calculus was trying to guess what steps the auto-grader deemed "essential" and which ones I could just ignore.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(06-29-2021, 02:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 01:33 PM)jsarles Wrote: Yeah JFYI I have taken CLEP Calculus and failed it, the nice thing about straighterline is that there are 6 "exams" the first exam you get unlimited tries, the next 4 exams you get three tries , and the final exam you get one try. 

What format are the SL exams? I'm guessing not multiple choice but do you have to actually show work or can you do something like enter X = 37 and you're good?

One thing I hated about ASU Calculus was trying to guess what steps the auto-grader deemed "essential" and which ones I could just ignore.
100% multiple choice! Which is nice for instant feedback on grades, They have practice exams where they show explain the answer but the exams do not, Straighterline does not hold your hand and people have mixed feelings about how well the lessons match up to content on the exams but the Midterm and the final match up with the other exams and the midterm and final are generally considered to be the easiest exams as well as worth half of the total grade of the class. 
Again I can't stress enough how you get multiple tries on the first five exams, really takes the pressure off!
I have never been good at math :/ 

Yes if you have ran into other math classes where the grading was subjective, this is very objective grading. It's either right or wrong, no need to show work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsarles's post:
  • Pikachu
(06-29-2021, 03:20 PM)jsarles Wrote: 100% multiple choice! Which is nice for instant feedback on grades, They have practice exams where they show explain the answer but the exams do not, Straighterline does not hold your hand and people have mixed feelings about how well the lessons match up to content on the exams but the Midterm and the final match up with the other exams and the midterm and final are generally considered to be the easiest exams as well as worth half of the total grade of the class. 
Again I can't stress enough how you get multiple tries on the first five exams, really takes the pressure off!
I have never been good at math :/ 

Yes if you have ran into other math classes where the grading was subjective, this is very objective grading. It's either right or wrong, no need to show work.

Oh. Oh, wow. That sounds amazing! I guess I know where I'll be taking Calculus then.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jsarles
(06-29-2021, 12:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Thanks! That is very useful. I'm considering trying to CLEP Calculus and then going with SL if I can't pass the CLEP.

Calculus is a serious course.  This isn't like a history course where you just memorize a bunch of facts. 

Colleges use calculus as a filter to weed out students.  It's a landmine, and you need to avoid getting your leg blown off.

To put this in perspective, colleges report a 50% dropout rate related to Calculus
https://studyplaces.com/how-hard-is-calc...t-answers/

I forget the exact number but at least 25% of engineering students drop out because of this one class.  One-half of WGU's math department is devoted just to helping students get through that one Calculus class. 

That SL Calculus course expires July 31st.  If you want to take any chance of that course going away and you becoming fked than be my guest but don't say we didn't warn you.

Taking calculus in Study.com, CLEP, whatever is wasting your time in my opinion.  Get through the SL Calculus course, save your sanity and move on with life.

Take notes & write down every single formula you do.  Break it down into little steps and you get through it with a 90%+ success rate.  Follow the proven path, don't go wandering in the woods in random directions hoping to get somewhere.

Get a Nspire CAS calculator

Get a Nspire CAS calculator  (yes I said it 3 times)

A few of these courses I'm a bit emotional about as I went through literally hell to get through them.

End of rant and 755 of 1000 analogies completed.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
I am assuming you are an international student since you mentioned TOEFL. Did you check https://www.iu.org/bachelor/computer-science/?

If you are awarded the 80% off scholarship it will be cheaper and you can get the DUAL Diploma from LSBU UK? https://www.iu.org/why-iu/dual-degree/
[-] The following 1 user Likes msa145's post:
  • Holmes
(06-30-2021, 12:00 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 12:10 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Thanks! That is very useful. I'm considering trying to CLEP Calculus and then going with SL if I can't pass the CLEP.

Calculus is a serious course.  This isn't like a history course where you just memorize a bunch of facts. 

Colleges use calculus as a filter to weed out students.  It's a landmine, and you need to avoid getting your leg blown off.

To put this in perspective, colleges report a 50% dropout rate related to Calculus
https://studyplaces.com/how-hard-is-calc...t-answers/

I forget the exact number but at least 25% of engineering students drop out because of this one class.  One-half of WGU's math department is devoted just to helping students get through that one Calculus class. 

That SL Calculus course expires July 31st.  If you want to take any chance of that course going away and you becoming fked than be my guest but don't say we didn't warn you.

Taking calculus in Study.com, CLEP, whatever is wasting your time in my opinion.  Get through the SL Calculus course, save your sanity and move on with life.

Take notes & write down every single formula you do.  Break it down into little steps and you get through it with a 90%+ success rate.  Follow the proven path, don't go wandering in the woods in random directions hoping to get somewhere.

Get a Nspire CAS calculator  (yes I said it 3 times)

A few of these courses I'm a bit emotional about as I went through literally hell to get through them.

End of rant and 755 of 1000 analogies completed.

I'm not worried about the SL course going away. They've been pretty good about renewing things. 

I'm actually fairly confident about my ability to pass a calculus exam from somewhere else. But my calculus tutor and I have been too busy to do any studying, so I haven't been able to take the Saylor exam (which was my first plan before CLEP was available remotely). I do already have a similar calculator from Casio (I think it's Casio), I just need to find it.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
So I am looking for some advice. I believe I’ve read on this forum that ASU earned admissions business calculus transfers in to tesu as calc 1. If I take this course over Asu’s calc 1 could/ would it effect admissions to an MSCS if I should decide to go? Should I take the Slightly easier course now to expedite the BA degree process Or just suck it up and take the harder course ? At this point I’m not 100% sure I’m going to pursue a MSCS but I sure Don’t want to have to go back and take calc 1 later on because i wasted my time and cheaped out now. or will it not matter since it satisfied calc 1 requirement for the BA ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Bachelor of Science in Business dragonwolf 11 2,397 11-21-2023, 06:05 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts dragonwolf 10 2,415 10-23-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  [TESU] 1yr BSBA Accounting & Computer Information Systems (dual AOS) [DEC 2021] MuadDib 6 2,362 10-06-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: MuadDib
  WGU BS in Computer Science Degree Plan dragonwolf 5 1,621 06-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BA in Psychology Degree Plan dragonwolf 9 1,957 06-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  TESU BSBA Degree Plan dragonwolf 2 1,760 05-29-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: dragonwolf
  Excelsior Bachelor of Science in Psychology dragonwolf 3 1,183 05-22-2022, 08:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU BSSD/TESU BSBA-CIS GizmoJack 10 3,377 09-11-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  TESU - BA Liberal Studies harrypotter 3 2,517 04-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  [TESU] BA Computer Science & Psychology - June 2020 scorpion 11 5,072 07-23-2020, 01:26 PM
Last Post: ajs1976a