Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA in Liberal Studies
Hey everybody, I'm hoping to get some feedback on my plan to graduate with a BA in Liberal Studies from TESU.

I'm having a hard time planning my degree at this point, I've got about 64 confirmed credits on my evaluation from random college experience in the past/cleps and another roughly 16 credits done that aren't added yet.

The remaining classes I need from the Intellectual Skills are:
  • ENC-102 Requirement - currently working on this on Study.com (i hate research papers :|)
  • Quantitative Literacy Requirement - thinking Math 102 on Study.com for this one
  • Oral Communication Requirement - I have done Communication 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace will this satisfy my oral communication requirement? I seem to be seeing mixed information regarding this, I've sent TESU an email but still waiting to hear back. 
  • SOS-110 - I had originally applied last year but unfortunately didn't enroll and am now enrolled past 1/2019 and think I have to take SOS-110 now sadly.
The remaining classes I need from Civic Learning are:
  • Ethics - I completed the Institutes free ethics course but it hasn't been reflected on my evaluation yet. Does this satisfy this requirement or do I need to something like Ethics and the Business Professional on study.com?
For GE Electives I need 7 more credits:
  • I'm thinking of doing History of Western Art 1 and 2 on study.com which would give me 6 credit hours. I'm not entirely sure what to do about the extra credit hour needed... any ideas?
For Upper-Level Liberal Studies requirements:
  • I've completed History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War on study.com (transfers as His-351) for 3 hours.
  • Plan on completing History 306: The American Civil War (transfers as HIS-450) for 3 hours.
  • Plan on completing Soc 305: Sociology of work (transfers as SOC-362) for 3 hours
  • Plan on completing History 311: The Holocaust and World War II (transfers as HIS-354) for 3 hours
  • Plan on completing Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology (transfers as Psy-400) for 3 hours.
For lower-level liberal studies requirements:
  • I need 6 credits here and was going to do the lower level Vietnam/civil war classes on study.com (His-246/His-252) which are both 200 level since I've already used up my 6 credit 100 level courses.
The rest I need is the Capstone obviously and the electives. I only need 9 credits in the 27 SH elective category and I competed the TEEX cybersecurity 101, 201, and 301. Would these credits count for the 9 needed? Could I also use the 1 remaining credit in the General Education electives do you think?

I suppose another question I have is when should I register for the SOS-110 requirement? It's a shame how expensive it is but I guess it's best to just get it out of the way. I'm worried that TESU used my two academic evaluations already (despite only adding some SL classes and nothing else) due to me having to reapply. I've sent an email to TESU advising and hopefully will hear back soon, I guess if they have used my evaluations I should just enroll in SOS-110 ASAP so that I can receive more evaluations?

I'm also curious, should I be sending in Study.com classes each time that I finish them or kind of wait until I have accumulated the majority of credits and do it all then?

Thanks in advance for the help, if you need any clarification or anything feel free to ask. 

Looking forward to hearing from some of you. Smile

edit - Added a spreadsheet, red means that I haven't started the class yet, green means currently working on the class, and orange means it has been completed.

Attached Files
.xlsx   BALiberalstudiesupdate.xlsx (Size: 12.82 KB / Downloads: 21)
Since you're committed to graduating at TESU, I see no reason (except having to pay the fees now rather than later) you shouldn't go ahead and get the cornerstone done and out of the way. I wouldn't assume you have to take SOS-110. I would instead try to register for TES-100.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-11-2019, 01:14 PM)davewill Wrote: Since you're committed to graduating at TESU, I see no reason (except having to pay the fees now rather than later) you shouldn't go ahead and get the cornerstone done and out of the way. I wouldn't assume you have to take SOS-110. I would instead try to register for TES-100.

Okay, good to know. Do you think I should email them first to clarify or just go ahead and attempt to register? I guess I'm just concerned in case they end up saying that because of my new application date I would be forced to do the SOS-110 and so doing TES-100 would be in vain.
(03-11-2019, 01:21 PM)shoost Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:14 PM)davewill Wrote: Since you're committed to graduating at TESU, I see no reason (except having to pay the fees now rather than later) you shouldn't go ahead and get the cornerstone done and out of the way. I wouldn't assume you have to take SOS-110. I would instead try to register for TES-100.

Okay, good to know. Do you think I should email them first to clarify or just go ahead and attempt to register? I guess I'm just concerned in case they end up saying that because of my new application date I would be forced to do the SOS-110 and so doing TES-100 would be in vain.

Or, see if you can get them to answer whether or not they'll take TECEP: DGL-101 or LiDA-101 Digital Literacies for Online Learning (OERu Course) for SOS-110 like it says on the website:[url=https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=DGL-101][/url]

https://www.tesu.edu/business/asba/open-course-option
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
What does your official evaluation show - does it show the Cornerstone, or the SOS-110?  If it shows the Cornerstone, take is ASAP. Usually after you apply you're locked in for that year (before you have to enroll - take a course/TECEP).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-11-2019, 02:26 PM)udi Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:21 PM)shoost Wrote:

Or, see if you can get them to answer whether or not they'll take TECEP: DGL-101 or LiDA-101 Digital Literacies for Online Learning (OERu Course) for SOS-110 like it says on the website:[url=https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=DGL-101][/url]

So, the reason I've been confused about that webpage for two weeks is because the course and exams aren't organized by row, rather list items. There is no TECEP exam currently to test out of SOS-110.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
(03-11-2019, 03:13 PM)allvia Wrote: What does your official evaluation show - does it show the Cornerstone, or the SOS-110?  If it shows the Cornerstone, take is ASAP. Usually after you apply you're locked in for that year (before you have to enroll - take a course/TECEP).

Yeah it shows SOS-110 unfortunately, I think I messed up because if I had re-applied in December instead of January it would probably still show the TES-100.

Also, shame about there being no TECEP for SOS-110. I got excited when I saw what you posted, udi.

I'm still waiting on an email with a number of questions I sent to TESU over the weekend so hopefully once they respond I can find out if I should just go ahead and bite the bullet/enroll in SOS-110.
(03-11-2019, 02:26 PM)udi Wrote: Or, see if you can get them to answer whether or not they'll take TECEP: DGL-101 or LiDA-101 Digital Literacies for Online Learning (OERu Course) for SOS-110 like it says on the website:[url=https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=DGL-101][/url]

You can try, but I'm sure as I can be without actually hearing them say it, that page predates making SOS-110 the cornerstone and that they will NOT accept the TECEP in place of the online course.

(03-11-2019, 04:02 PM)shoost Wrote: Yeah it shows SOS-110 unfortunately, I think I messed up because if I had re-applied in December instead of January it would probably still show the TES-100.

Also, shame about there being no TECEP for SOS-110. I got excited when I saw what you posted, udi.

I'm still waiting on an email with a number of questions I sent to TESU over the weekend so hopefully once they respond I can find out if I should just go ahead and bite the bullet/enroll in SOS-110.

By all means ask them to to let you take TES-100, but if (when) they do say no, I think you should just go ahead and get SOS-110 done.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • shoost
(03-11-2019, 04:02 PM)shoost Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 03:13 PM)allvia Wrote: What does your official evaluation show - does it show the Cornerstone, or the SOS-110?  If it shows the Cornerstone, take is ASAP. Usually after you apply you're locked in for that year (before you have to enroll - take a course/TECEP).

Yeah it shows SOS-110 unfortunately, I think I messed up because if I had re-applied in December instead of January it would probably still show the TES-100.

Yeah, sorry about that!  Angel   I complained to them today that it doesn't make sense to have courses listed under the open course web page when there's not actually an eligible exam or open course available. That stupid class is sending everyone scrambling.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
(03-11-2019, 04:04 PM)davewill Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 02:26 PM)udi Wrote: Or, see if you can get them to answer whether or not they'll take TECEP: DGL-101 or LiDA-101 Digital Literacies for Online Learning (OERu Course) for SOS-110 like it says on the website:[url=https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=DGL-101][/url]

You can try, but I'm sure as I can be without actually hearing them say it, that page predates making SOS-110 the cornerstone and that they will NOT accept the TECEP in place of the online course.

(03-11-2019, 04:02 PM)shoost Wrote: Yeah it shows SOS-110 unfortunately, I think I messed up because if I had re-applied in December instead of January it would probably still show the TES-100.

By all means ask them to to let you take TES-100, but if (when) they do say no, I think you should just go ahead and get SOS-110 done.

That's what I was thinking, it'll probably feel better to just go ahead and get it out of the way because I'm sure they'll use the 2019 catalog and stick with the SOS. Oh well, my fault for procrastinating! Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 371 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 629 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 9 869 02-06-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,064 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with degree plan for combined Math & Environmental Studies RavioliMachine 12 563 01-08-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 553 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az