Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Computer Science Degree Plan 9/2020
Hi there, I finished at business degree at TESU one year ago and I am coming back for more. 

I want a computer science degree and I would like to complete it as efficiently as possible based off time , money, and energy. 

I already have a Thomas Edision degree so that should knock out the first 60 credits of general education requirements, I didn't take SOS-110 the first time so maybe they'll make me take that. we'll get there when we get there. 
The computer science degree also conveniently has 21 credits of electives I can just fill in with prior credits (81 total). so that leaves 39 to go if I am optimistic about them not making me take SOS-110. (Because I've already met that requirement) 
I also need 18 upper level credits, some people have posted that the capstone applies as an upper level course but I would like to get that confirmed from admissions

The 39 Credits break down as follow 12 Classes + Capstone
Capstone 

Required Classes (6)

Intro to Programming Study.com(SDC)
Data Structures Study.com(SDC)
Calculus - Straighterline
Discrete Math (SDC)
Intro to Operating Systems (SDC) 
Computer Architecture (SDC) UL 

Electives (6)

Database Management SDC UL
Systems Analysis and Design SDC UL
Management Information Systems Davar codes as 301 UL (needs to be confirmed)
C Programming SDC 
Upper Level TESU Class
Upper Level TESU Class 

If I can find a way to get upper level CS credit through non TESU routes where it is not a four year college route I'll take it. 
Looking for the easiest classes at TESU as well because it look's like i'll need at least 2 if not 3 if the Davar class doesn't get coded as 301. but that is what it says on davar. 

The three upper level classes I might need to take are 301 MIS, 351 Software Engineering, and Artifical Intelligence 451, or possibly network technology. I am not sure that cybersecurity classes are allowed in the electives section. But if the Davar class goes through then it'll just be AI and sofware engineering. fingers crossed. 

Any feedback or help is welcome!!

CIS-301 Management Information Systems from Davar Academy Test 
(09-16-2020, 11:44 PM)jsarles Wrote: Hi there, I finished at business degree at TESU one year ago and I am coming back for more. 

I want a computer science degree and I would like to complete it as efficiently as possible based off time , money, and energy. 

I already have a Thomas Edision degree so that should knock out the first 60 credits of general education requirements, I didn't take SOS-110 the first time so maybe they'll make me take that. we'll get there when we get there. 
The computer science degree also conveniently has 21 credits of electives I can just fill in with prior credits (81 total). so that leaves 39 to go if I am optimistic about them not making me take SOS-110. (Because I've already met that requirement) 
I also need 18 upper level credits, some people have posted that the capstone applies as an upper level course but I would like to get that confirmed from admissions

The 39 Credits break down as follow 12 Classes + Capstone
Capstone 

Required Classes (6)

Calculus - Straighterline
Discrete Math (SDC)

Electives (6)

Management Information Systems Davar codes as 301 UL (needs to be confirmed)
C Programming SDC 
Upper Level TESU Class
Upper Level TESU Class 

If I can find a way to get upper level CS credit through non TESU routes where it is not a four year college route I'll take it. 
Looking for the easiest classes at TESU as well because it look's like i'll need at least 2 if not 3 if the Davar class doesn't get coded as 301. but that is what it says on davar. 

The three upper level classes I might need to take are 301 MIS, 351 Software Engineering, and Artifical Intelligence 451, or possibly network technology. I am not sure that cybersecurity classes are allowed in the electives section. But if the Davar class goes through then it'll just be AI and sofware engineering. fingers crossed. 

Any feedback or help is welcome!!

CIS-301 Management Information Systems from Davar Academy Test 

I just last week got my UL CS courses approved from TESU.  It was as follows all from SDC....

"CIS 303 Database Management

CIS 302 System Analysis and Design

BUS 308 Globalization and International Management

Computer Architecture cannot be used as a CIS elective. This is what I was told, but it may work differently for you since you are going for CS degree and not a BSBA degree with CS.

Davar's Management Information Systems is an upper-level course. This is approved and added as planned credits."   (I found out this is also approved @ SDC so I let my advisor know that SDC wil work better to stay all in the same place.)

I also asked about another course, and I received this...
"Study.com's Digital Marketing and Advertising will satisfy the three credits in the CIS electives section. However, this course is set to expire on September 30. The course would need to be completed before then. It is possible the ACE will extend the review period, but there website currently states the September 30th expiration date."  I was hoping to take the course before Hurricane Sally hitting us today.  Everything is a mess, and  that will not happen.  However, I emailed ACE to see if they plan on extending the review period since they have extended it every year since 2016.  I am keeping my fingers crossed because that would set up the perfect plan for all the CS courses with a BSBA degree.

I am new here actually, and I have asked tons of questions.  Everyone has been so helpful.  I hope that helps you!
[-] The following 2 users Like Dorothy44's post:
  • jsarles, Pikachu
CIS and CS are very different degrees. CIS is a business-oriented IT degree. It's intended to teach you how to do things like set up existing computers and use them in a business environment. CS teaches you how computers work and how to program them so that you can create your own thing. There is some knowledge overlap but they are still not the same.

Computer architecture is considered an ESSENTIAL part of most CS degrees.
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jsarles, MrBossmanJr, Pikachu
The toughest part of the TESU CS degree is finding that last UL credit which is TECEP network or the coppersmith linear algebra and passing the course. 

Other than that if you can pass discrete math, you're basically home free.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jsarles, Pikachu, rachel83az
Linear algebra is probably going to be easier. There are a ton of resources out there on linear algebra. The TECEP is reported to be evil.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jsarles, Pikachu
Hey OP, I got your PM.  Here you go, Here are my suggestions for you... BTW, you do not need to do the Cornerstone SOS-110.  
Basically, You will need to take the courses below & Capstone, then pay the residency waiver and graduation fee, voila, that's it!

Anyways, I recommend doing everything at Study.com unless of course they don't offer the course such as a the Network TECEP.
Having said that, if you don't already have an Associates degree, get the ASNSM Math along with this BA Computer Science, FREE!

Required Classes (6)

Calculus - Straighterline  >> Study.com instead as it will give you 6 credits instead of 3 or 4 at SL
Discrete Math (SDC)

Electives (6)

Management Information Systems Davar codes as 301 UL (needs to be confirmed) >> OR Study.com instead
C Programming SDC >> I recommend taking additional programming courses as they overlap
Coopersmith Linear Algebra UL
TECEP Network Technology
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • jsarles, nomaduser, Pikachu
Hi guys, thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. So I recently applied to TESU and got an academic evaluation back. They are looking for 31 credits from me to complete the bachelors in CS.

Thankfully I've somehow fulfilled two AOS LL electives with past classes. so just need 4 UL level electives

I think I'll take the davar classs for sure because I've never not aced their classes, but will definitely consider the TECEP or the coopersmith options if I can take their test without having to do assignments, and if it's less work than study.com

Thanks I defintely will also take the calculus class as study.com as well looks like a good option.

Management Information Systems Davar codes as 301 UL (needs to be confirmed) >> OR Study.com instead
TECEP Network Technology

The possibility of an associates in math is a promising idea, I don't know if I will bother if I need to take additional classes, I am kind of a slacker, but If I can pick up a different associates for free with my previous credit, well maybe I'll do it

ooh I see you've included the TECEP and the coopersmith classes as in addition to my degree plan, thanks for that. So it looks like I was mistaken I only need 15 UL credits in my AOS which I only need coopersmith or the TECEP. Or if they are both easier than study.com I can just not take one of the study.com classes
(10-06-2020, 06:49 PM)jsarles Wrote: Hi guys, thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. So I recently applied to TESU and got an academic evaluation back. They are looking for 31 credits from me to complete the bachelors in CS.

Thankfully I've somehow fulfilled two AOS LL electives with past classes. so just need 4 UL level electives

I think I'll take the davar classs for sure because I've never not aced their classes, but will definitely consider the TECEP or the coopersmith options if I can take their test without having to do assignments, and if it's less work than study.com

Thanks I defintely will also take the calculus class as study.com as well looks like a good option.

TECEP Network Technology

The possibility of an associates in math is a promising idea, I don't know if I will bother if I need to take additional classes, I am kind of a slacker, but If I can pick up a different associates for free with my previous credit, well maybe I'll do it

ooh I see you've included the TECEP and the coopersmith classes as in addition to my degree plan, thanks for that. So it looks like I was mistaken I only need 15 UL credits in my AOS which I only need coopersmith or the TECEP. Or if they are both easier than study.com I can just not take one of the study.com classes

That is correct, you only need Coopersmith Linear Algebra or TECEP Network Technology.  One course.

We got screwed because both Study.com courses Artificial Intelligence and Software Engineering are ACE recommended UL credit courses and TESU has these exact courses as a part of their CS program yet they won't allow those courses to transfer in as UL.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jsarles, Pikachu
Yeah that's weird. Unfortunately Thomas Edison has some bad incentives to not accept more credit than they already do. They definitely make more money from their classes.

Have you taken the above study.com classes / the linear algebra from coopersmith / the Network TECEP?

Any advice on your experience or what you think is easiest would be appreciated.

Also does anyone have a recommended order on how to take these classes? Operating systems has already been taken care of.

Math
Calc
Discrete Math
Linear Alegbra

Intro to Programming (Taking Now)
Davar Management information systems
Data Structures
Computer Architecture

Only need to take 3 out of these 4
Will drop whatever class will take the longest. Advantage of non-study.com classes Can test out, no assignments
Advantage of study.com classes Already racking up progress through my other classes, I heard the network TECEP is hard??
Not sure that linear algebra is a walk in the park either.

Database Management
Systems Design
Network TECEP
Linear Alegbra

SOS - 110 Information Literacy(Supposedly Not needed but need to confirm)
Capstone

Also does anyone have a recommended order on how to take these classes? Operating systems has already been taken care of.

Math
Calc
Discrete Math
Linear Alegbra

Intro to Programming (Taking Now)
Davar Management information systems
Data Structures
Computer Architecture

Only need to take 3 out of these 4
Will drop whatever class will take the longest. Advantage of non-study.com classes Can test out, no assignments
Advantage of study.com classes Already racking up progress through my other classes, I heard the network TECEP is hard??
Not sure that linear algebra is a walk in the park either.

Database Management
Systems Design
Network TECEP
Linear Alegbra

SOS - 110 Information Literacy(Supposedly Not needed but need to confirm)
Capstone
The Networking TECEP is notoriously difficult. It's outdated and also doesn't match the study materials that well, according to those who have taken it. I would study for that while working on the Coopersmith course. Only if you do not pass Linear Algebra do you need to put effort into the TECEP.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jsarles, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 8 164 14 minutes ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 0 32 3 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 673 6 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 67 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 353 11 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 155 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,489 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 183 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 357 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM