Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing out the idea of testing out
Hi All!

I realize everyone is different in regards to doing well with taking tests or not.

Is there a recommended test to just see which path I would fit into best? Then I can outline my general education courses a little better since it appears there are many choices between testing out vs. Straighterline.com.

Thanks!

D
And there are many options besides Straighterline if you choose not to test out (Study.com, ALEKS, Shmoop, Ed4Credit, etc.).

You probably need to start with the Beginner's Guide, which though already a little outdated, explains a lot of the various methods that are available.

Then, you need to look at what school you're planning on going to, to see what they accept. If you're going to one of the Big 3, then you can do anything. If you're going somewhere else, you have to look at whether they will take ACE or not. Many schools will take CLEP.

If you want to consider testing first, then you need to look at the list of exams, and see if there's anything there that appeals to you. If you know Spanish, French or German, you will certainly want to take one of those CLEP exams. Here's a good place to look at the exams, and look at the rankings of how hard they are: Free Clep Prep.com

Good luck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:And there are many options besides Straighterline if you choose not to test out (Study.com, ALEKS, Shmoop, Ed4Credit, etc.).[/url].

Hi dfrecore!

Yes, I signed up for Study.com, however, I did not see that there are any ACE courses for TESU?

dfrecore Wrote:Here's a good place to look at the exams, and look at the rankings of how hard they are: Free Clep Prep.com

Perfect!! Thank you!!!!
CarpeDiem8 Wrote:Hi dfrecore!

Yes, I signed up for Study.com, however, I did not see that there are any ACE courses for TESU?

Perfect!! Thank you!!!!

Everything that is "for credit" has a little green badge that says "this course is ACE recommended for credit" on it (when you hover). If there's no green badge, there's no credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Look for something you need for your degree at CLEP or DSST, and give it a go. The InstantCert flash cards and the forums that membership unlocks are great, in addition to other resources. I recommend picking your first by what you know. If you're a History buff, do one of the history tests, if you like Anthropology or Astronomy, do one of those. By the time you complete the process, you'll know.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Ok, so it appears that CLEP/ DSST requires a testing service that I would have to physically go to, and since I have a toddler with no babysitting options, testing out this way won't work for me. Sad

Do any of the TECEP's from TESU require physical testing as well? Are they proctored?
They are proctored but you can do them from home with a webcam
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Hi CarpeDiem!

This whole distance learning process appeals to me because of the young children thing. My wife and I have 3-year-old twin girls and a seven-year-old son. I really can't do on-campus classes at this point. I am still learning, but I have found that there are lots of options available. I started with the free online classes:

Free Sources of Credit | Degree Forum Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

All of these can be done on a laptop with the kids on the lap. That's what I've been doing. None of them are proctored.

I've been doing the ALEKS math classes. They are non-proctored, online and the beautiful thing is that the assessments can be done a problem at a time in random five and ten minute increments.

I have also been doing the Davar Academy classes that go on sale for $20. They do use a proctor, but it is a computer program proctor system that does not need to be scheduled. I have done those classes at night after we put all of the kids to bed. I lock myself in another room and take the tests. You could do them in a closet.

I have not attempted a CLEP test yet, but I've already picked up 29 credits in this fashion during the past month or so.

Just chip away at it and good job on moving forward.

Mike
CarpeDiem8 Wrote:Ok, so it appears that CLEP/ DSST requires a testing service that I would have to physically go to, and since I have a toddler with no babysitting options, testing out this way won't work for me. Sad

Do any of the TECEP's from TESU require physical testing as well? Are they proctored?
TECEPS, and tests for most online courses are timed and require some sort of proctoring, although a few, ALEKS for instance, are unproctored. You won't be able to leave your computer during the tests so you will likely need someone to watch your toddler for an hour or two in order to do most of them successfully.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Shmoop courses are unproctored, but tests are timed. You can do as many as you are able to in one mornth for ~$89.

Study.com courses are web proctored, but don't need to be scheduled. The Guardian scholarship can get you 6 free courses; after that it's $200 for two exams in one month.

Saylor courses are web proctored and must be scheduled. The course is free; the proctoring is $25-30.

Hope that helps!
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New idea for cheap RA credits? FrHaseKopf 15 2,102 05-10-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Daemen & Total Testing Alpha 6 904 02-16-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IDEA has lost its two founders, who began in remote South Texas in 2000 bjcheung77 1 629 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Is it a good idea to step into cybersecurity domain after graduting from management? rishu 7 1,090 01-06-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Testing Question tls7291 5 1,078 07-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is it a good idea? jb88 22 2,465 06-18-2021, 08:19 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,241 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  IDEA brought to you by the USDOE bjcheung77 2 883 07-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Last Post: monchevy
  Online Testing Options during COVID19 closures vetvso 5 1,247 04-19-2020, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Denied Acceptance for Master's Programs with Testing Out degree? JWells247 6 2,141 12-27-2019, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JWells247