Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on how to get 70+ on clep chemistry?
bricabrac Wrote:I just took a look through one of my lists and I have the CLEP exam guide and a practice test or two. Check your forum inbox a few hours. When I get home I'll put together a folder for you to download.

Also here's another resource Chemistry Study Guides - SparkNotes

Thank you!!!
NAP Wrote:As others have said, that is a really high goal for this exam. Since you have passed it already, you do have a good background to get started on it again. If you haven't found it yet, this thread could be helpful to pick up on some of those extra details that you need to learn now: http://www.degreeforum.net/showthread.php?t=11381

Thanks! If I can pass it with a 70+, I will come back and tell everybody my story Smile
cookderosa Wrote:What is the score requirement for AP? I think it would be MUCH easier to get a 4 on the AP than a 70 on this CLEP. Anything beyond 60 is really just playing trivial pursuit. Also, it's not unusual for a college that accepts a score of 50 to also award 8 credits.

Edit to add, I can't stop thinking about your question. You won't find people on this board who have scored a 70 on that exam. It just isn't happening. The pass rate on that exam is very low anyway, only around 1/3 pass with a 50. (you've already hit that benchmark - congratulations!) Maybe they've set it as a 70 on accident? Perhaps they mean 70% and someone goofed when they entered it into the computer (a 70% would = 50 scaled score = passing) but maybe the college just doesn't want to give away $tuition x 8? Also a possibility. Do they have unreachable thresholds for their other CLEPs too? College Board puts out a chart that shows "B" grade levels (unofficially) and Chemistry's is 65. So, seriously, I think you need an alternative plan.

Hello, I don't know the AP score requirement in my university and the problem is AP is held in May only but I need to graduate in August, so I think taking AP instead is more unrealistic for me right now. I believe they set the cutoff correctly, it's a 70+ for every clep science exams if students want to get 8 credit hours.
Lecpot Wrote:Hello, I don't know the AP score requirement in my university and the problem is AP is held in May only but I need to graduate in August, so I think taking AP instead is more unrealistic for me right now. I believe they set the cutoff correctly, it's a 70+ for every clep science exams if students want to get 8 credit hours.

Ok, so just for fun - if you can hit 70 on your CLEP, I also suggest you take the Chemistry GRE. If you score in the 40th percentile (totally realistic if you hit 70 on the CLEP) then Charter Oak will give you 24 credits in chemistry, the ENTIRE major. You can pick up a BS in Chemistry if you have the gen eds and physics to go with it.

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...mistry.cfm
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...amlist.pdf
(06-16-2017, 05:42 PM)bricabrac Wrote: I just took a look through one of my lists and I have the CLEP exam guide and a practice test or two. Check your forum inbox a few hours. When I get home I'll put together a folder for you to download.

hi, can you please send me important topics and your list for chemistry clep, my exam is by end to this month and i am in between of no where. help me out.
Thanks
(07-15-2018, 09:20 PM)jippygrewal Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 05:42 PM)bricabrac Wrote: I just took a look through one of my lists and I have the CLEP exam guide and a practice test or two. Check your forum inbox a few hours. When I get home I'll put together a folder for you to download.

hi, can you please send me important topics and your list for chemistry clep, my exam is by end to this month and i am in between of no where. help me out.
Thanks

InstantCert (here) has a flashcard study system as well as a feedback folder if you're close to testing, it might not be a bad investment ($20).
I've only scored a 70+ on two CLEP's

77 on U.S. History II

and a 71 on accounting.

You really need to live and breathe the subject. I spent 3 months studying 1-3 hours for 6 days a week to prepare for history. I find the subject fascinating and generally enjoyed the process.

I've never taken a formal accounting course before but I currently am and have been working as an accounting assistant for the past 2 years. I spent 1 month studying and scored 71.

to score 70+ you NEED to know your stuff and prepare adequately.

to be honest man, even though you've taken it before idk if 1 month is enough time. You need to totally immerse yourself over a longer period of time in my opinion.

If you had even 2 months or 8 weeks in which you could dedicate a minimum of 15-20 hours per week of study I think you could do it.

one month will be tough
(06-25-2017, 07:53 PM)Lecpot Wrote:
cookderosa Wrote:What is the score requirement for AP?  I think it would be MUCH easier to get a 4 on the AP than a 70 on this CLEP.  Anything beyond 60 is really just playing trivial pursuit.  Also, it's not unusual for a college that accepts a score of 50 to also award 8 credits.

Edit to add, I can't stop thinking about your question.   You won't find people on this board who have scored a 70 on that exam.  It just isn't happening.  The pass rate on that exam is very low anyway, only around 1/3 pass with a 50.  (you've already hit that benchmark - congratulations!)  Maybe they've set it as a 70 on accident?  Perhaps they mean 70% and someone goofed when they entered it into the computer (a 70% would = 50 scaled score = passing) but maybe the college just doesn't want to give away $tuition x 8?  Also a possibility.   Do they have unreachable thresholds for their other CLEPs too?  College Board puts out a chart that shows "B" grade levels (unofficially) and Chemistry's is 65.  So, seriously, I think you need an alternative plan.

Hello, I don't know the AP score requirement in my university and the problem is AP is held in May only but I need to graduate in August, so I think taking AP instead is more unrealistic for me right now. I believe they set the cutoff correctly, it's a 70+ for every clep science exams if students want to get 8 credit hours.
Just out of curiosity... what happened?
(08-14-2018, 12:02 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:53 PM)Lecpot Wrote:
cookderosa Wrote:What is the score requirement for AP?  I think it would be MUCH easier to get a 4 on the AP than a 70 on this CLEP.  Anything beyond 60 is really just playing trivial pursuit.  Also, it's not unusual for a college that accepts a score of 50 to also award 8 credits.

Edit to add, I can't stop thinking about your question.   You won't find people on this board who have scored a 70 on that exam.  It just isn't happening.  The pass rate on that exam is very low anyway, only around 1/3 pass with a 50.  (you've already hit that benchmark - congratulations!)  Maybe they've set it as a 70 on accident?  Perhaps they mean 70% and someone goofed when they entered it into the computer (a 70% would = 50 scaled score = passing) but maybe the college just doesn't want to give away $tuition x 8?  Also a possibility.   Do they have unreachable thresholds for their other CLEPs too?  College Board puts out a chart that shows "B" grade levels (unofficially) and Chemistry's is 65.  So, seriously, I think you need an alternative plan.

Just out of curiosity... what happened?

I'm not OP, but my school has a similar policy of requiring 70+ in order to get all 6 lecture credits and 2 lab credits for chemistry. (You get 4 credits for 60+)

I just took the test (today) and got a score of 78. So it is definitely possible to do it! I saw this thread when I first started studying so I figured I'd give some encouragement to anyone in the future who comes across it. For reference, I took roughly one semesters worth of intro chem in high school (not that I remembered much of it). The rest was self study (I'd say approximately 60-70 hours worth)

I suspect the exam has gotten slightly easier since a lot of the posters took it (at least based on the pass rates going slightly up). But no doubt, it is still quite a difficult exam and should not be underestimated, particularly if you need a 70+.
[-] The following 2 users Like sicdrag's post:
  • cookderosa, MNomadic
A 78 on chemistry is impressive! Good job! Not something one can accomplish by just reviewing a few videos and flashcards. Do you mind sharing what methods you used?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 25,770 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips on How to Get Straight A’s in College LevelUP 19 4,035 05-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 457 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Anyone Have Any Tips for Searching for College News? LevelUP 0 402 12-19-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Chemistry Course YehudisS 16 1,427 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: YehudisS
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  5 Interviewing Tips From an Amazon Applicant Who Jeff Bezos Hired on the Spot LevelUP 4 947 03-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone