Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring from a Big3
I'm new here and just starting my journey with going back to school. 

Since many of you are using the ModernStates/Clep, Saylor, study.com, onlinedegree type sites etc. for college credits, I'm hoping someone might have insight. 

If you choose a school of the big3 and accumulate your online courses to apply for credits to that school for the online classes or tests you took, can you transfer those credits for those classes to a different school if you change your mind about where you want to graduate? 

For example, I'd like to pursue computer science and was thinking to use all the above online sources for credits, to be accepted at TESU. Could a TESU transcript be evaluated and given credit at a different institution if the courses didn't receive a grade (because, its only credits)? 

Does anyone have any insight into this? 

I'd prefer a program with a BS instead of BA for computer science, that's why I'm hoping to transfer the credits out. I doubt the school would accept all the credits from online learning directly the way the schools in the Big3 do. Can these kinds of college credits transfer out at all?
You can't transfer credits out of a big 3 school (or any school) unless you actually took the classes at that school. What you're referring to is known as "credit laundering", and it doesn't work. Schools will require you to send transcripts from the original source of the credits and evaluate them according to their own policies
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(01-10-2019, 12:05 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: You can't transfer credits out of a big 3 school (or any school) unless you actually took the classes at that school. What you're referring to is known as "credit laundering", and it doesn't work. Schools will require you to send transcripts from the original source of the credits and evaluate them according to their own policies

That is correct.

Each school always asks for original transcripts for all college courses you've taken. Colleges don't "absorb" credits transferred to it, they only evaluate transferred credits (according to their own internal policies) to determine how, and how many, of those credits can be applied to take the place of similar courses taken at their school. Transferred credits are always kept separate from any credits earned directly at the college. Each time you change colleges you start the transfer and evaluation process over, with original transcripts from each source of earned credits.

If the destination college doesn't accept alternate credits (like CLEP, DSST, ACE, etc.) or only accepts a limited amount of them for credit, it won't matter if they were previously accepted by another college or not.

That said, there is no difference between a BA and BS in Computer Science. Consider them interchangeable. The difference between them is really just about how the GenEds are structured. The core of each degree is generally the same, so basically you learn the same stuff and employers / other colleges don't see any difference between them.

Also, if you're interested in a computer science (or software development) degree, you might also consider WGU. They take fewer alternative credits but their technical degrees are generally looked upon pretty favorably. Plus, depending on your focus, you may be able to get through their degree faster and more cheaply than a comparable degree from TESU or one of the other Big 3. Plus you'll earn industry certifications along the way which can be pretty valuable. Note: If you decide to go with WGU, keep in mind that you can only earn alt. credits until you enroll, so you'd need to take all the transferable courses you expect to need before officially starting at WGU.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
@!=scholar If you are a US citizen WGU is easier and more cost effective for the CS degree than TESU and its a BS.

I know the BS is supposed to have more math and CS classes but its not necessary. Most employers dont know the difference. And for CS its ability that countdls, not the degree. CS teams just want the degree to satisfy management. All they care is that you can do the job.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Wow, thank you for all the responses!

The WGU program looks interesting. The flat rate tuition doesn't appeal to me right now though, since I have limited time with young children running around the house. I'm also considering accelerated programs at Champlain and Wilmington U.

The BA at TESU is a strong option.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Transferring ACE to Arizona State University harrit 35 6,130 08-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Last Post: gerbert
  ECE or WES for transferring credits, which is better? daharamu 3 1,186 04-28-2020, 03:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring the good with the bad credits jpotter702 5 1,197 02-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Transferring credits *to* University of the People wow 11 2,579 02-06-2020, 01:41 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 1,985 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! Supreme1995 19 2,626 05-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Transferring credits from brick-and-mortar college pws 3 1,213 11-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  transferring credits multiple times husker77c 11 2,594 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Last Post: husker77c
  Transferring from a Big 3 to a state school zapproximator 30 4,797 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Last Post: zapproximator