Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to understand dif bet TESC and EC requirements
I now have both of their catalogs. I keep going back to TESC because their degree plans seem so much easier to understand (and they have an ART major). Also, EC has that pesky 1 credit literacy course (PF for that one, I guess) and do they or don't they take FEMA credits? If they do, do I have to go through something called ACE? Don't know what that is either.

My son and I should probably go through the same college, keeping it simpler that way, so I need to figure this out for both of us (the art degree can always be Liberal Arts instead). He wants an English degree which can be done with either. He has done the CLEP English Comp w/Essay so he's not too excited about the possibility of having to do a course for this at EC.

But then MANY people here seem to like EC better.

Can you tell that I'm on overload here? :eek:
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"]Margo
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][B][B]"By endurance, we conquer"[/B][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE="2"] [SIZE="1"] ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton[/SIZE][/SIZE]
for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (70)
Introduction to Sociology (71)
Social Sciences & History (70)
College Mathematics (57) :o

Hoped for end result before arthritis sets in:
BA in Art, Liberal Studies, or Humanities[/SIZE]
Margo,
EC doesn't accept FEMA credits. I haven't done any FEMAs yet so I'm not sure how the whole "ACE transcription" things works. I'm sure one of the veteran FEMA experts can tell us.

I think both EC and TESC have positives and negatives going for them. Like you, I think the TESC specific degree requirements are spelled out more clearly than EC. Also, TESC does accept FEMA credits. Another big plus for TESC is that they consider most CLEPs and Dantes exams as upper level credit which makes "testing out" of an entire degree easier in my opinion.

However, EC clearly and undisputably beats TESC on customer service. EC also awards letter grades for most Dantes exams (which is very helpful to those like me who have a crappy GPA we are trying to improve). EC also awards generous credit for a good GRE score which TESC does not.

For me, it comes down to letter grades (EC) vs upper level credit (TESC). That's why I think I may hedge my bets and get a BSBA from TESC and a liberal arts degree from EC. Not quite decided about that though.

Just my two cents,
Kelly

P.S. Thanks for thinking a good thought for me on Friday when I was passing through your neck of the woods - I think it helped! Smile
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Margo,

Forgot to mention (or emphasize), if your son wants an English degree, he may want to consider the GRE in Literature option at EC. If he scores well he can really bang out a lot of credits at one sitting (and for a cheap price too)!

Our friend Perrik is the one to talk to about this. Alissa also is a terrific resourse if your son thinks that might be a route he'd like to take.

Best wishes,
Kelly

[/SIZE]
I live in NJ so the cost of TESC was the final selling point for me. If youu want to do most or all of your degree through testing TESC probably makes it easier. I have really not had problems with service, but then I have the flexability to call during normal work hours and I have not had to wait long for replies to e-mail.

If you want to expierence the thrill of walking on stage in a cap and gown to accept your diploma I must say the graduation ceremony I attended for my AA was really nice. i don't know what EXcelsior does.

This is a difficult choice and we have die hard fans for both schools here.
Good Luck
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
jadechow Wrote:Another big plus for TESC is that they consider most CLEPs and Dantes exams as upper level credit which makes "testing out" of an entire degree easier in my opinion.

Really, really?! That would be great. I thought CLEPs were always considered lower level with any college. I'm gonna give them a call and ask or maybe their catalog has that in it (?) Not that I'm doubting you Smile , just wanna hear it from the horse's mouth, I guess!

What's your next test?
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"]Margo
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][B][B]"By endurance, we conquer"[/B][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE="2"] [SIZE="1"] ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton[/SIZE][/SIZE]
for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (70)
Introduction to Sociology (71)
Social Sciences & History (70)
College Mathematics (57) :o

Hoped for end result before arthritis sets in:
BA in Art, Liberal Studies, or Humanities[/SIZE]
The choice comes down to what factors are most important to you.

TESC is great if you're coming in with few existing credits and are seeking to use TECEP exams and TESC courses as well as CLEP/DSST/FEMA credits. The comprehensive tuition plan for full-time students is a very good deal for out-of-state students and an even better one for NJ residents.

EC is great if you have/plan to have multiple credit sources. Until relatively recently EC did not offer its own courses or exams, and is still lagging behind TESC on that count (plus EC's $300 per credit hour is hardly a bargain), but if you're sourcing the credits elsewhere that's not a big deal. EC grants scaled pass/fail credit for GRE subject exams, which TESC does not.

In my opinion - and this is only my opinion! - EC is the better choice if you plan to apply for graduate school. Most grad programs have a minimum acceptable GPA (usually 3.0), and some may require a minimum number of graded credits to get that GPA. EC gives letter grades for most Dantes and all Excelsior exams (and now the uExcel exams, once they get up and running for real this summer). Any graded credit you transfer in is listed as graded credit on your transcript, and your GPA is calculated on all of it. At TESC, only TESC courses (excluding ePacks) earn graded credit. The ePack courses, all TECEP exams, all CLEP and Dantes exams, and all credit earned outside of TESC is listed as pass/fail only. If you transfer in all of your credits without taking a TESC course, you graduate with no GPA. I had enrolled at two different B&M universities back in the day, and due to a variety of reasons my grades were bad. EC's policies on graded credit (and pruning selected classes from my degree program) allowed me to raise my GPA from a horrible 2.32. When I graduate, my GPA will be 3.09 based on 76 graded credits; my last 60 credits will be a 4.0 with 31 of them on the record as graded credits.

I also prefer the tougher academic requirements of EC, which - in my opinion only! - I believe would be looked at more favorably by a graduate admissions committee. I thought TESC was a little too generous on granting upper-level credits. The more competitive the graduate program, the more important I feel the toughest factor is. As the primary reason I decided to complete my baccalaureate was to apply to graduate school, the factors that affect the strength of my grad application were my absolute focus.

TESC offers a wider variety of majors. EC loves the military. TESC is part of the state university system and has a name that reflects it. EC has the name recognition. TESC customer service is not much beloved here. EC tries to squeeze maximum $$$ out of its students, and thank goodness for whoever discovered the Penn Foster alternative for the Information Literacy course! So there are advantages and disadvantages to both institutions.

(someone really ought to be speaking up for COSC, which too often gets overlooked as an option!)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
LatinTea Wrote:Really, really?! That would be great. I thought CLEPs were always considered lower level with any college. I'm gonna give them a call and ask or maybe their catalog has that in it (?) Not that I'm doubting you Smile , just wanna hear it from the horse's mouth, I guess!

What's your next test?

I agree - always confirm everything directly with the school - even when the info comes from a reliable source like the IC forum. Wink

But, yeah the fact that TESC awards UL credit for (most) exams can be a big factor for sure.

Margo, I am thinking about Principles of Finance next because I want to get it out of the way before they "refresh" it. I don't know why but I am a little scared of refreshed (which I read as harder) tests. But, I am also really thinking about the GRE in Lit which is only offered 3 times a year (Oct, Nov, and April).

Good luck with whichever college you decide on. I am sure you will make the right choice!!Smile

[/SIZE]
perrik Wrote:At TESC, only TESC courses (excluding ePacks) earn graded credit. The ePack courses, all TECEP exams, all CLEP and Dantes exams, and all credit earned outside of TESC is listed as pass/fail only. If you transfer in all of your credits without taking a TESC course, you graduate with no GPA. as graded credits.

Wow, I didn't realize this. So, even classes that I took previously and recieved grades for at a B&M university are just pass/fail at TESC? That's something I was not aware of. Thanks, Perrik. As usual you are a fountain of information! Smile

[/SIZE]
LatinTea Wrote:Really, really?! That would be great. I thought CLEPs were always considered lower level with any college. I'm gonna give them a call and ask or maybe their catalog has that in it (?) Not that I'm doubting you Smile , just wanna hear it from the horse's mouth, I guess!

What's your next test?
When you find out could you post the Info? You probably would but just asking!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
Quote:and do they or don't they take FEMA credits? If they do, do I have to go through something called ACE? Don't know what that is either.

Excelsior does indeed take fema credits. In fact, they accept more fema than TESC does, and so does COSC. The thing is, TESC takes them raw directly from fema, but EC and COSC require that they be transcripted through another school that has evaluated the courses for credit, since the fema credits are NOT ACE approved and EC hasn't done an independent evaluation of these courses. They used to accept them through a TESC credit bank transcript, but they stopped doing that when they realized that TESC had not done an evaluation of the courses, either.

In my personal opinion, the fema courses are a waste of time unless you actually plan to major or minor in disaster management, or if you have a particular interest in it. Don't use up almost a year's worth of credits on something you don't enjoy or that you won't use. But if you do go with TESC, the fema credits are the only thing that will bring down the cost to the level of EC, and you will feel like you have to use them to save money even if they are completely irrelevant to anything you want to study.

LatinTea Wrote:I now have both of their catalogs. I keep going back to TESC because their degree plans seem so much easier to understand (and they have an ART major).

Don't go with TESC just because they have idiot-proofed their catalog. Smile EC allows a great deal of flexibility within their degree programs. I do agree that maybe you should cross them off your list because they do not offer the major you want, though. That is a good reason. Don't get a degree in something you won't enjoy or find useful. Have you looked at COSC's art degree?

Quote:Also, EC has that pesky 1 credit literacy course (PF for that one, I guess)

I'd say that the Penn Foster Information Literacy course is easier than any exam I have taken, and it can be completed in a few hours. It's kinda like doing one fema course.

Quote:My son and I should probably go through the same college, keeping it simpler that way, so I need to figure this out for both of us (the art degree can always be Liberal Arts instead). He wants an English degree which can be done with either. He has done the CLEP English Comp w/Essay so he's not too excited about the possibility of having to do a course for this at EC.

But then MANY people here seem to like EC better.

Can you tell that I'm on overload here?

Your son could take the AP English exam, or many other online English comp courses that are less expensive than EC's. Not to mention, EC DOES offer an exam for English Composition if he is not thrilled with taking an online course. COSC does accept the CLEP English Comp. exam, and they offer an English major, too! [Edit to add]: Also, he will still get three humanities credits for the CLEP English Composition even though it won't fulfill the Written English Requirement, so taking that exam won't be a total waste at EC. [/End Edit]

perrik Wrote:(someone really ought to be speaking up for COSC, which too often gets overlooked as an option!)

I'll try. I enrolled before they added this new capstone course requirement, so I don't know much about that. But it can be seen as a positive or a negative. A negative if you are just looking for the easiest degree possible, or a positive if you see that it will be an affirmation of all the learning you received in the process. This requirement will--in my opinion only Smile -- add to COSC's reputation for turning out well-qualified, well-educated graduates.

COSC also gives letter grades to prior coursework that has been graded, as well as DSST exams under the old scoring system. They have stricter grading requirements as well, my DSST Business Law II score got me a "B" at EC, but a "C" at COSC. If you plan to hold yourself to higher grading standards anyway, COSC's grades will help motivate that.

COSC has EXCELLENT customer service, 5 stars. All of my emails have been answered within two days, although if it's during business hours, they have been answered in minutes.

With the CPS and the general education requirements spelled out on the website, they have also idiot-proofed their degree programs. :p It would be easy to come up with a degree plan for them. I have come up with several in no time.

COSC--State College with an agreeable name for those who give a shite.

COSC--Many people point out that they only offer concentrations, not specific majors, but I doubt this will be a problem. Human resource people who care enough about it will quickly see that the concentration is the exact same thing as a major, although many won't care so long as you have a degree, and many popular graduate schools also offer their Master's degrees in this exact same format. COSC is not the only one.

Unlike EC, COSC has stricter gen ed requirements, but they only require 15 upper level credits, which must be in your concentration. This is a nice split between EC's higher upper level requirements (30 UL credits), and TESC's lower requirements. COSC is a middle way.

[Edit to add]: COSC also graduates students every other month, like EC.[/End Edit]

Overall, I vote for EC first, it was the best one for me, but you really have to evaluate the schools side by side as best you can and choose which one is best for you, not which one is best for someone else. Yes, it is confusing and a pain to do it, but it is the best way to make an informed choice you will not regret later. No matter which one you choose, I will do what I can to help you. If TESC will work best for you and your son, by all means, go with them. You are earning a legitimate degree no matter which of the three you choose. A degree is a degree is a degree.

Hope this helps!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,756 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help me fill degree requirements TESU BS NEET MNomadic 10 3,075 08-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,672 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Contact an advisor requirements at TESU Johmford 2 1,259 06-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Johmford
  Tesu bals requirements??? cali86 9 2,009 04-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  TESU BALS Graduation requirements LuluBishus 11 2,790 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: CISbender
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,458 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
Question Fulfilling the Natural World requirements: ELSADDIQ 10 1,852 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,206 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  In a double major, can credit requirements overlap? Pelican 2 1,715 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Pelican