Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of London distance learning Masters?
I've been looking at University of London for masters' degrees. They have a lot of options that are reasonable in cost, and some of the schools under the UoL umbrella have top-notch reputations.

https://london.ac.uk/courses

Does anyone have any experience with any of these programs?
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
The problem is that any "prestige" you think you might get by having the University of London on your resume will be offset by the fact that the degree is clearly from a distance program, unless you move to England for 6 months and can verify it via workshops taken in person, work, etc. Then no one would really question it.

Not that there's anything wrong with a distance degree, but there's a stigma associated with online programs to a certain extent and you're paying your hard earned cash for that paper. A masters from Fort Hays State or Arkansas State would be looked at in the same light or probably better and it might be cheaper? I'm not sure about prices since I haven't looked at them in a long time.
I would say you're correct that most of the prestige for University of London degrees comes from the specific college within the UofL you get the degree from. For example if you take one from the London School of Economics (LSE) this is a really well known and well thought of college. The same is true with King's College London (KCL). The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)…. not so much. Of course that's within the UK, whether anyone the USA will know the difference or care is another question.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University
(08-23-2019, 01:33 PM)Leedeedee Wrote: I would say you're correct that most of the prestige for University of London degrees comes from the specific college within the UofL you get the degree from.  For example if you take one from the London School of Economics (LSE) this is a really well known and well thought of college.  The same is true with King's College London (KCL).   The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)…. not so much.   Of course that's within the UK, whether anyone the USA will know the difference or care is another question.

Exactly, though SOAS UoL is quite prestigious in its own right, having produced several heads of states, Supreme Court judges, a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and more, which is more than I can say of my state's flagship.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(08-21-2019, 05:55 PM)NolaRice Wrote: I've been looking at University of London for masters' degrees. They have a lot of options that are reasonable in cost, and some of the schools under the UoL umbrella have top-notch reputations.

There are indeed top-notch schools under the UoL umbrella, however; they are only providing academic direction. The degree is from University of London, not London School of Economics.

1. Students have ZERO privileges with London School of Economics because you are not a LSE student, even if LSE is providing the academic direction.

2. The US Department of Education does not recognize the University of London as a qualified educational provider. A direct quote from the school "Unfortunately, as a University of London International Programmes distance learning student you are not eligible for Federal Student Aid from the USA, we are not a recognised institution".

Hope that helps.
(08-28-2019, 09:39 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 05:55 PM)NolaRice Wrote: I've been looking at University of London for masters' degrees. They have a lot of options that are reasonable in cost, and some of the schools under the UoL umbrella have top-notch reputations.

There are indeed top-notch schools under the UoL umbrella, however; they are only providing academic direction. The degree is from University of London, not London School of Economics.

1. Students have ZERO privileges with London School of Economics because you are not a LSE student, even if LSE is providing the academic direction.

2. The US Department of Education does not recognize the University of London as a qualified educational provider. A direct quote from the school "Unfortunately, as a University of London International Programmes distance learning student you are not eligible for Federal Student Aid from the USA, we are not a recognised institution".

Hope that helps.

University of London is a qualified legal educational provider, a student cannot get federal financial aid for an overseas program that is 100% distance education, while remaining in the US but they can get financial aid if they are enrolled in a US institution that provides a study abroad program. 

A cousin of mine was able to study abroad for this summer at the National University of Ireland-Galway via a study abroad program at the University of Notre Dame and financial aid covered the tuition costs, including room and board.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
(08-22-2019, 09:07 PM)Stoic Wrote: The problem is that any "prestige" you think you might get by having the University of London on your resume will be offset by the fact that the degree is clearly from a distance program, unless you move to England for 6 months and can verify it via workshops taken in person, work, etc. Then no one would really question it.

Not that there's anything wrong with a distance degree, but there's a stigma associated with online programs to a certain extent and you're paying your hard earned cash for that paper. A masters from Fort Hays State or Arkansas State would be looked at in the same light or probably better and it might be cheaper? I'm not sure about prices since I haven't looked at them in a long time.

I'm in this camp as well. I really really really wanted a master's that was taught from Australia. Though not required, I would have made a point of going to the campus for some amount of time. I agree with Stoic, it's not that there is anything "wrong" with distance learning, however, I think you're setting yourself up everytime someone says "Oh cool, what's it like in London?" and they will ask....every. Single. Interview. Forever.
(08-22-2019, 09:07 PM)Stoic Wrote: The problem is that any "prestige" you think you might get by having the University of London on your resume will be offset by the fact that the degree is clearly from a distance program, unless you move to England for 6 months and can verify it via workshops taken in person, work, etc. Then no one would really question it.

Would they really ask you to verify coursework expected to take place in-person? I've never got that level of scrutiny in any interview. The programs look promising enough.
In Progress - UMPI // BABA - Conc. Management
2013 - Yale University // Dropped Out... Confused
2011 - Deep Springs College // AA Philosophy
PLA's // Saylor Academy: Intro to Business, Financial Accounting, Management Information Systems, Calculus, Intro to Western Political Thought.

Intro Post (closed for telling the truth about WGU)

[-] The following 1 user Likes ivythrowaway's post:
  • mysonx3

I strongly disagree. This is a day and age where it is practically the norm for people to meet their spouses online, something which is far more consequential to their lives than their choice of educational delivery method. Most people who've graduated from college in the past 5-10 years have taken at least a few online courses.

I work in a very selective practice of a major professional services firm, and the broader firm hires people everyday who have done one or more degrees online. (usually graduate degrees) When I was in the later stages of interviewing, HR asked me if I did my undergraduate degree online. I gave a simple "yes", and that was that. When I first graduated in 2012, I wondered if I would have to defend my education in the professional sphere. Over the past 7 years, I've realized there is nothing to defend, to the point I almost wear it as a badge of honor.

It is even less of an issue for master's degree programs, and everyone I interact with on a professional basis has tremendous respect for people who make the sacrifice of studying for a master's degree part-time while working full-time, much more so than someone who studied full-time. There is absolutely no "stigma" in choosing the modality that best fits your professional schedule and non-existent personal life. They also understand the inherent limitations of distance education, and that some aspects of the rigor of an online program can be somewhat lower than its physical campus counterpart at the same institutions, if one exists. Honestly, in my line of work, people may actually have more concerns about someone doing a part-time master's program that required regular physical attendance, as that would largely preclude them from business travel.

I guess it also depends on the environment we're talking about, too. Perhaps in the average mid-size corporate environment, people wouldn't "get it", but in environments where graduate degrees and professional development is the norm, it's not a problem at all.

(I too would recommend taking full advantage of the in-person workshop, social, etc. opportunities offered by distance programs where possible.)
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 191 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,043 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,451 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 261 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,836 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,964 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel