Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of the People, BSBA for StoicJ
University of the People is my Plan B if everything else doesn't work.

One of the things that makes me most uncomfortable about this "degree quest" it is the way things change radically in a way that completely affect your plans and your previous work.

When i start one year ago, i research a lot about getting my degree, this forum was the main source. I made my plan to get my BSBA in COSC. I have a step by step plan to cover all courses. On month after that, COSC completely refuse Shmoop, the provider that originally allows me to cover almost all LL credits in a cheap way. I stop my quest because of this. I come back one year later (few month ago) and I find another surprise, COSC request 30 RA credits... If I hadn't quit a year ago, I would have spent a lot of money on credits to find that.

So, i am so worry about these changes, and the only way to keep in my quest is to know if Big 3 start to change things in a way that i could not complete my degree, then i can transfer everything to U of the people and get my NA degree.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-05-2020, 01:01 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: So, i am so worry about these changes, and the only way to keep in my quest is to know if Big 3 start to change things in a way that i could not complete my degree, then i can transfer everything to U of the people and get my NA degree.

There ARE a lot of changes, and you just have to stay on top of them, or when a great option comes around you have to jump on it and not delay. I delayed, and it cost me. Even with UotP, the costs are about to go up. The UotP course assessment fee is currently $100. It will soon go up to $120. Not a big deal, but the more UotP classes you need to take the bigger deal it is.

You mention transferring courses to UotP. There is a limit on transfer credit. They say up to 50% of your 120 credits can be transferred in, but they also state you can do up to 75%. It's not real clear to me when the 75% applies. My hope is I can get a bunch of transfer credits approved, perhaps haggle and appeal if I have to, and then share the results here.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(08-05-2020, 11:43 PM)StoicJ Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 01:01 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: So, i am so worry about these changes, and the only way to keep in my quest is to know if Big 3 start to change things in a way that i could not complete my degree, then i can transfer everything to U of the people and get my NA degree.

There ARE a lot of changes, and you just have to stay on top of them, or when a great option comes around you have to jump on it and not delay. I delayed, and it cost me. Even with UotP, the costs are about to go up. The UotP course assessment fee is currently $100. It will soon go up to $120. Not a big deal, but the more UotP classes you need to take the bigger deal it is.

You mention transferring courses to UotP. There is a limit on transfer credit. They say up to 50% of your 120 credits can be transferred in, but they also state you can do up to 75%. It's not real clear to me when the 75% applies. My hope is I can get a bunch of transfer credits approved, perhaps haggle and appeal if I have to, and then share the results here.

Well, this are bad new again related with changes, they were known to "accept everything" when it came to transfers...
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
StoicJ, I understand cost is a big factor in your decision on UofPeople. However, it may be cheaper/easier/faster and more value if you go for Walden Tempo BSBA by transferring all the credits you have and taking the final 10 courses vs the 16 courses you need at UofP. The main value is to get this done faster and you'll get that bonus/raise or a new job offer with a better benefits package or higher salary, everything would offset that extra cost you put into the degree over UofPeople.

Note: This is just for the tuition, I don't know how much the cost is for other fees/texts, etc are.
Program Fees Link: https://www.waldenu.edu/online-bachelors...ition-fees
The cost would be as follows (as there is a 50% discount on first subscription term).

3 month subscription term is $2,375
50% off would be $1187.50
Add the $75 technology fee
Total: $1262.50

If you take two terms (6 months)
Your total would be $3712.5
The value here is that the degree is Regionally Accredited and has ACBSP.

The MBA option would also be cheaper than WGU using the same discount. For some time now, they've been offering 50% off the first term.
Other times, I've seen it at 50% off the entire lifetime of the degrees, so if you take two terms, it'll continue to be 50% that second term.
Again, this is only for tuition. There maybe other fees involved, you'll have to do your research, other competency based degrees maybe better.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • StoicJ
I submitted my transcripts to UoP and they just accepted 18 credits but TESU is genorus and accepted 105 credits.
------------------

[-] The following 1 user Likes akr680's post:
  • jsd
(08-07-2020, 11:40 PM)akr680 Wrote: I submitted my transcripts to UoP and they just accepted 18 credits but TESU is genorus and accepted 105 credits.

Geez, that's pretty bad. Now you've got me concerned. TESU has accepted 96 credits from me. I am hoping UotP accepts 72.

Mind posting what TESU accepted that UotP did not?
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
Received an evaluation on the credits I earned at RA schools.

I created a spreadsheet for what I THINK my degree plan should be, based on info gathered from the UotP catalog. My hope was that 33 credits would transfer into my degree plan. It looks to me like they approved 30. They did not approve for transfer a junior college Intro To Philosophy course I aced, so I will ask them to re-evaluate that. They also approved 39 credits for courses that are probably unusable electives, though maybe a couple will fit in the degree plan. SO, 69 RA transfer credits approved (though not all will help with the BSBA), and I will make an appeal for 3 more.

My plan is to complete 3 more courses that will go on my ACE transcript, and THEN submit that transcript for evaluation.

I am pleased with the results. I had a C- and D in two degree plan courses, and those did not get approved. UotP has a "C" cutoff, so I expected to be denied those credits.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
(08-07-2020, 01:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: StoicJ, I understand cost is a big factor in your decision on UofPeople.  However, it may be cheaper/easier/faster and more value if you go for Walden Tempo BSBA by transferring all the credits you have and taking the final 10 courses vs the 16 courses you need at UofP.  The main value is to get this done faster and you'll get that bonus/raise or a new job offer with a better benefits package or higher salary, everything would offset that extra cost you put into the degree over UofPeople.

Note: This is just for the tuition, I don't know how much the cost is for other fees/texts, etc are.
Program Fees Link: https://www.waldenu.edu/online-bachelors...ition-fees
The cost would be as follows (as there is a 50% discount on first subscription term).

3 month subscription term is $2,375
50% off would be $1187.50
Add the $75 technology fee
Total: $1262.50

If you take two terms (6 months)
Your total would be $3712.5
The value here is that the degree is Regionally Accredited and has ACBSP.

The MBA option would also be cheaper than WGU using the same discount.  For some time now, they've been offering 50% off the first term.
Other times, I've seen it at 50% off the entire lifetime of the degrees, so if you take two terms, it'll continue to be 50% that second term.
Again, this is only for tuition.  There maybe other fees involved, you'll have to do your research, other competency based degrees maybe better.

I did notice their Subscription Period Tuition says "$2,375*". * is "Tuition and fees are subject to change. Books and materials are not included and may cost up to an additional $5,500."  I would hope it is considerably below $5,500!   Tongue

Next step is registration, which re-opens 08/21. Courses begin 09/03 and end a few weeks later.

I believe I need to register for their "Online Education Strategies" course, and I can select one other course for my first term, from a fairly limited list. Via the student portal I can see that at some point I will have online access to a degree evaluation, but it has not been worked on yet.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
Last posted on this 08/17, so here's an update one month later. 

I had to complete a simple orientation course before enrolling. Free, no credits. Offered via Moodle, no grades or assignments, just complete some easy modules.

Registered for a couple of courses. For your first term (8 weeks) you can only register for two courses. Online Education Strategies (UNIV 1001) is a requirement. I was limited in what I could choose for my 2nd, because of pre-reqs. I chose Principles of Business Management (BUS 1101).

No payments for registering. Classes began 09/03/20. Format is Moodle. 40+ students in each class. Maybe 20% based in USA, a mix of Africa (Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, etc), Syria, Lebanon, England, Germany, Indonesia. Pretty broad mix. 

Each week I have had to:
1) respond to prof's post in the discussion forum, and respond to and rate 3 replies, 
2) complete a 150-500 word writing assignment, citing sources, 
3) write (150-500 words) on an assigned topic in the "Journal", and 
4) take a self-study quiz. 
Reading assignments are usually a chapter from a Creative Commons textbook. 

My two profs are native English speakers with grad degrees. These are much like traditional online courses you see in colleges and universities. The big difference I am seeing is the international makeup of students. Quality of assignments I've seen run from horrible to good. Course grade will be from discussion, written assignments, quizzes, and final exam.

I will complete these courses (in week 3 of 8 right now), plus perhaps a couple of CBE's via Saylor, before starting my 2nd term in November. Will submit my ACE transcript, then work with UotP to see what goes where in the degree plan. So maybe in December my path will be much more clear and I can provide good info to anyone interested in UotP. These will not be easy classes, and they will take some time every week. Weeks start on Thursday 1200am and assignment submissions due Wed 1155pm. Appears this is very much like taking the online path at a traditional uni, though with a different term structure.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
Update- In week 6 of 8 now. There is a good bit of work involved. I was thinking this would be easy, but it appears I was wrong.

I will try to get a degree plan and some transfer info before Term 2 begins in November.

Insight into grading process for the 2 classes I am taking.

Discussion (10-15% of final grade)- My weekly discussion post is rated by my peers. 1-10. Supposedly anonymous grades, but sometimes you have a good idea who gave what grade. Through 5 weeks I am in the low 90's. I think I get from 2-5 ratings each week. My lowest was an 8. On that assignment I think one student gave me a 10, and another a 6. I thought that was BS. I did learn a lesson, though : )

Written assignments (15%)- There are 4 in each class. My lowest grade has been a 91.xx, the highest a 99.xx A "Grading Assessment" form is included with each assignment you are to assess. "Did the student explain X, and give relevant info to back up their claim?" "10,8,6,4,2,0?" That kind of thing. 4-6 areas to grade, each weighted differently. I received an 88.xx on one paper, and I think one point an assessor made (and gave a low score for) was bad. The professor upped my grade to 91.xx, but I had never said a thing, so it seems profs do scan peer assessments. You turn in a written assignment, and the next week it is assessed by up to 3 students and you assess for 3 others. You do not know who submitted the papers you grade, and your assessors don't see your name, either.

Those are the two portions that are peer-assessed. Between 20-25% of the overall grade. Even if the disparity between what I get from my peers and what I THINK I should get is 10 points, that's a max of -2.5 points from my overall grade.

Journal (15-20%)- A weekly assignment that only the prof sees.

Quizzes (20-30%)- Two in each class. One was in week 3, the other is in week 6. In week 3 I got an 85 and 93. I did not study much for those, but will study for week 6.

Final exam (25-30%)- At the end of the term.

Other (0-5%)- One class had a couple of really short modules to complete. So an easy 5 points there.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 253 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 55 9,350 03-17-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 277 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,701 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,505 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 654 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 355 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 765 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 47 6,939 01-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bornsupercharged
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,995 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77