Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useful Free CLEPS
I personally believe in documenting all knowledge, and if possible putting it into some kind of degree or certificate. If I can CLEP for free then this really helps me moving forward until I'm out of tests.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(02-10-2019, 01:24 PM)vetvso Wrote: I personally believe in documenting all knowledge, and if possible putting it into some kind of degree or certificate. If I can CLEP for free then this really helps me moving forward until I'm out of tests.

I have tons of knowledge that has nowhere to go except on a resume - there is no degree for 401(k) Plan administrator, or Stock Plan administrator at all.  But that's ok, I have years of experience doing both, and can document it by having it on my resume.  No need to get another degree to try to prove that I took a bunch of classes in something when I have the real-life experience instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-10-2019, 06:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 01:24 PM)vetvso Wrote: I personally believe in documenting all knowledge, and if possible putting it into some kind of degree or certificate. If I can CLEP for free then this really helps me moving forward until I'm out of tests.

I have tons of knowledge that has nowhere to go except on a resume - there is no degree for 401(k) Plan administrator, or Stock Plan administrator at all.  But that's ok, I have years of experience doing both, and can document it by having it on my resume.  No need to get another degree to try to prove that I took a bunch of classes in something when I have the real-life experience instead.

Agreed and I also do the same but also document as much as possible. It keeps me sharp and up to date, and everyone has their own ways. I'm older and at the top of my career so what I do these days is more for personal satisfaction. I enjoy reading books so testing ensures I retain more info.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
I'm in a career change mode right now due to the old guard dying at work (I work in IT) and am an old fart too which is why I'm looking at those free CLEPs. I saw what was happening at work, made a slight pivot to get a promotion after I graduated from TESU, but that move wasn't aggressive enough to avoid disaster. I should have abandoned my current group and went into a completely different area of IT even though I saw the train coming to hit me. I'm running through the usual suspects like nursing/vet tech/other patient facing health career, radiology tech, accounting, welding, another area of IT, etc. I could almost sit for the CPA with a CLEP or two (yes I know I would need to launder the CLEPs since TESU is in the rear view mirror). Nursing seems pretty unrealistic, but my health is good. Right now I want to keep all my options open. I don't have firm plans what to do but it's obvious I was nowhere near aggressive enough (keep in mind that age discrimination is alive and well at work if I try to stay in IT).
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrailRunr's post:
  • mysonx3
Do you have any interests? You listed a lot of careers that would result in a substantial loss of income.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-11-2019, 03:27 AM)TrailRunr Wrote: I'm in a career change mode right now due to the old guard dying at work (I work in IT) and am an old fart too which is why I'm looking at those free CLEPs. I saw what was happening at work, made a slight pivot to get a promotion after I graduated from TESU, but that move wasn't aggressive enough to avoid disaster. I should have abandoned my current group and went into a completely different area of IT even though I saw the train coming to hit me. I'm running through the usual suspects like nursing/vet tech/other patient facing health career, radiology tech, accounting, welding, another area of IT, etc. I could almost sit for the CPA with a CLEP or two (yes I know I would need to launder the CLEPs since TESU is in the rear view mirror). Nursing seems pretty unrealistic, but my health is good. Right now I want to keep all my options open. I don't have firm plans what to do but it's obvious I was nowhere near aggressive enough (keep in mind that age discrimination is alive and well at work if I try to stay in IT).

Or..... go where people value experience. Teaching. You can teach FOR someone (a college, bootcamp, jobcorp, etc.) or you could develop and launch your own online teaching program. Udemy and Thinkific are great platforms for this, lots of people making a living this way.
Though I don't do it, if I could figure out a way to charge my followers $1/month, I'd be making 6 figures without doing ANYTHING.
I personally think that Financial Accounting should be almost required college material instead of other classes like art. I took art years ago I got an A but I really can't remember what I learned. I recall going to the MOCA in LA and writing some sort of paper on a piece that inspired me.
In my Accounting classes I learned a lot of real world things that are useful. Many people don't understand basic stuff like revenue vs earnings. Some of the kids in my class had a hard time understanding how interest is calculated.
All of that you can learn on your own but if you can get credits and its free you might as well go for it.
(02-09-2019, 01:44 PM)TrailRunr Wrote: Nursing school non-science prereq / prereq of nursing school science prereq / vet school - Biology (prereq for microbiology in-person), psychology, sociology, Nat science, any math that might be a prereq for a prereq, chemistry. Be aware of 5-year science prereq expiration.

business/MIS/trad MBA prereqs - information systems, any math CLEP, accounting, calculus, business law, management, marketing

The Spanish CLEP might fit in many places and situations for US folks.

I think you covered the best options. Unless you may want a BA in History or English.

I've seen places accept CLEPs for nursing prereqs. Mostly Human Growth and Development - and Psychology.

But I don't know if MBA prereqs are important. Seems like you'd want a competency-based MBA if you did one, and I don't think they'd require prereqs.

I've thought about this myself, and I still want to take the Spanish CLEP just in case I get another undergrad that's not TESU.

(02-10-2019, 12:28 PM)jsd Wrote: We're referring to the free-through-Modern States option, otherwise you'd have to pay for them.

Thanks! That’s what I figured but was just having a “did something happen that I don’t know about?” Moment. ??

(02-12-2019, 07:43 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Or..... go where people value experience. Teaching. You can teach FOR someone (a college, bootcamp, jobcorp, etc.) or you could develop and launch your own online teaching program. Udemy and Thinkific are great platforms for this, lots of people making a living this way.
Though I don't do it, if I could figure out a way to charge my followers $1/month, I'd be making 6 figures without doing ANYTHING.

You could always start a patreon account. That’s one way to make use of having a following. I’ve been running an online zine for 20 years and while subscriptions are way down due to all the competition and free content available these days, still pays the bills.
(02-12-2019, 10:58 PM)Rustydroid Wrote: I personally think that Financial Accounting should be almost required college material instead of other classes like art. I took art years ago I got an A but I really can't remember what I learned. I recall going to the MOCA in LA and writing some sort of paper on a piece that inspired me.
In my Accounting classes I learned a lot of real world things that are useful. Many people don't understand basic stuff like revenue vs earnings. Some of the kids in my class had a hard time understanding how interest is calculated.
All of that you can learn on your own but if you can get credits and its free you might as well go for it.

I don't think art is a common requirement. There is usually a fine arts or more general humanities requirement. So, you can choose to take a course in music, art, art history, literature, dance, theater, cultural studies, philosophy, religion, etc. There are also different kinds of art classes one can take in college, such as sculpting, painting, jewelry making, 3D art, etc.

Some high schools are starting to offer a personal finance class, which I think is more useful to everyone than an introductory accounting course. I've forgotten most of what I learned for managerial and financial accounting, and I work in taxation. So, if I ever decide to move into auditing, I'm going to have to relearn those subjects. It's a "if you don't use it, you lose it" situation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,663 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 246 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,553 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Over 25 in Massachusetts, Free Community College bjcheung77 0 531 08-25-2023, 04:41 PM
  California - Fall Is Free! bjcheung77 3 571 08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Would you drive 1,000+ miles to earn free college credit? bjcheung77 13 1,283 05-16-2023, 07:32 AM
  Job Offers Free College natshar 3 865 05-02-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  onlinedegree.com free classes? ece2001biz 6 918 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,900 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az