Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Transfer Help
Hi,

I was hoping to get some help on a degree I am working on at WGU. I haven't officially applied yet, but I have been speaking to an enrollment counselor who has a tendency to be vague when I ask direct questions about transfer credits.

Here's the degree I plan on completing: https://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_SECU.pdf

Here are the courses I have completed at Straighterline:

College algebra: 7
English comp 1&2: 6
Anatomy & Physiology: 3
American Government: 3
Intro to Religion: 3
Business Statistics: 3
Intro to communication 3
Organizational Behavior: 3
Project+ Certification: 4

Total: 35

35 Credits isn't too bad, but I was certainly hoping to transfer more. I think I have even seen one other person on this forum transfer 90 credits.

Does anyone with experience at WGU know if there are more courses I can take from any source(SL, Study.com, etc.) that will transfer into my program?

If not, I am also considering enrolling into the Business school instead, and getting the BS - Business Information Technology Management degree. But I was worried maybe that would be looked upon worse when applying for non-management IT positions. Seems like every job posting asks for a degree in IT, not IT management, and the curriculum for each is quite different. For example, I would have to earn industry certs on my own if I went the business route, but I would also save money because I could do less terms at WGU. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Thoughts?
Straighterline has the clearest information on their site of what transfers. You can see on my sig line below everything that transferred to the Business program - the only one that did not was Personal Finance b/c it's not in the program. I recommend you formally enrolling, and then you can get much more concrete information about what will transfer.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Thanks Rowan55!

I think I will formally apply to get some more clear answers. It also looks likes I should definitely apply for the business school, that is an incredible amount of credits that transferred. I imagine your son will likely complete his program in one term, something I would like to do. Thanks for sharing.
utahjazz810 Wrote:Thanks Rowan55!

I think I will formally apply to get some more clear answers. It also looks likes I should definitely apply for the business school, that is an incredible amount of credits that transferred. I imagine your son will likely complete his program in one term, something I would like to do. Thanks for sharing.

You can transfer over 90 credits in for the Business Program - the list of non-transferrable courses is so short! Ask your enrollment counselor for a transfer guide for the business school. My son chose HR Management because he finds it interesting and also because he felt he was most likely to be able to complete that coursework in one term.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
I know that some additional courses will definitely transfer in:

ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
SL Physics or Chemistry (for Integrated Physical Sciences)
Intro to Programming in C++ (for Scripting & Programming Foundatins
Management Info Systems DSST (for Business of IT Applications)
Principles of Management

I'm not sure if Technical Writing count for Technical Communications - if so, you can take it at Study.com or as a DSST. If you need Tech Comm, there's a TECEP.

The SL labs for Physics/Chem/Bio can be used, but it seems a little more expensive than it's worth ($99 membership + $49 course + $105/$129/$79 for the lab kit, depending on the course). It might be cheaper to take it through WGU.

Unsure about a few others (highlighted in yellow).

The BSIT just has a lot fewer courses you can transfer in than the Business degree. It's the nature of the beast there.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">utahjazz810 WGU-BSIT Security.xlsx (Size: 38.9 KB / Downloads: 7)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
utahjazz810 Wrote:If not, I am also considering enrolling into the Business school instead, and getting the BS - Business Information Technology Management degree. But I was worried maybe that would be looked upon worse when applying for non-management IT positions. Seems like every job posting asks for a degree in IT, not IT management, and the curriculum for each is quite different. For example, I would have to earn industry certs on my own if I went the business route, but I would also save money because I could do less terms at WGU. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Thoughts?

The Business degree is a business degree with a little IT thrown in.

If every job you're looking at wants an IT degree, then you should get an IT degree! Why would you get a Business degree that won't get you the job that you want? You need to focus on the degree that is required for the job that you want, not getting a degree that will be cheaper just to hope that it will work.

The other thing is, if you can finish the BSIT Security in 2 terms (a year) for less than $6k, then you're really stepping over nickels to pick up pennies. The cost of all of the courses you're going have to take will weigh against the cost of the degree. Let's say you could take another 17 courses - that's $1700 or so. Take your term at WGU for $2890, add $1700 for the courses, and you're at $4590 for the business degree. Or, pay $5780 for the BSIT. You're going to get a less valuable (to you) degree to save $1200. That's kind of silly when you think about it in those terms.

Oh yeah, and you said that you're going to have to get certs as well. Subtract the cost of those from the savings.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I am applying to WGU right now, I am still in the enrollment stages so they don't have to work on my degree plan until they receive my transcripts, technically. BUT I have asked many specific questions to my enrollment counselor so she is definitely understanding that I know a lot about the stuff I can take to transfer in, mostly from reading on these forums. Definitely read through from people here that have gone to WGU, and Rowan555 has been a HUGE help for me because her son is entering the same degree program as me, plus they've taken courses/credits from a wide range of sources. My enrollment counselor with WGU is absolutely amazing, I'm so sorry to hear yours has been vague. I've talked to her on the phone three times this week and they don't even have my transcripts yet. But I'm still taking CLEP, DSST and StraighterLine courses until I start at WGU to have more credits to transfer. I can send you some of the info she sent me if you'd like?
WGU - BS Business, HR - Completed September 2017
WGU - MS, Management & Leadership - Started February 2018
I don't know why I didn't put that together but when the difference is spelled out like that it seems pretty insubstantial. Only $1000 for a degree I consider more valuable in contrast with money I'm already spending definitely seems worth it. And adding in the certs, which the IT school will pay for, it's completely negligible.

Thank you so much for the analysis and the spreadsheet! That thing is awesome. I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to post my experience, as I'm sure WGU will start to become a more popular destination the longer it sticks around. Time to get to work on those courses you mentioned. Smile
Jessikalauren, If you could send me some info I would love that! I can't believe how useful this forum is and I just found it. Thanks guys!
utahjazz810 Wrote:...I have been speaking to an enrollment counselor who has a tendency to be vague when I ask direct questions about transfer credits.

The enrollment counselor I was working with for my husband, who is considering a BSIT in Cybersecurity, has been less than vague! She just basically said "I have no clue what anything transfers in as." Ummm...great. That's awesome. Ok, then can you pass me on to someone who DOES have a clue?

Luckily, I am knowledgeable, and have the time to read this forum to get more hip to what happens over there, so it's ok. But I might consider switching to someone else if it came down to needing more info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 323 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,242 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 665 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 737 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 2,964 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,047 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,627 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UoPeople to WGU Transfer EDUxplorer 9 2,342 01-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ASU UL classes transfer to WGU sprout18 10 1,646 09-02-2022, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,120 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: LevelUP