Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU : Western Governors Univ ?
Has anybody here gone through them? I'm interested in one of their M.S. programs which I wouldn't be starting until Summer/Fall next year anyway. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance.
B.S. Comp Studies - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information Assurance - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information & Network Security - UMBC Training Centers (June/2010)
A.A. Information Technology - Programming (May/2010)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEH, CHFI, Sec+, Linux+, iNet+, Project+, SCJP, SCWCD, CIW

"A job not worth doing is not worth doing well, but a job worth doing is worth doing right the first time."
My oldest son went back to school and got his B.S. in Computer Programming through WGU. For the most part the classes were all on-line with a final exam (total grade inclusive of the final exam). If you test well then you should do fine with this college. However, question why would you want to spend the funds to attend this college to take exams to get credit when you could do it for so much less through one of the big 3?
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
frankiebleyes Wrote:[...] If you test well then you should do fine with this college. However, question why would you want to spend the funds to attend this college to take exams to get credit when you could do it for so much less through one of the big 3?

WGU offers a Masters of Science in my field, which I haven't seen available from any of the 'big 3'. Additionally WGU recognizes a number of industry certifications, many of which I already have. I'm not sure about other fields but with technology certifications can carry a fair amount of weight, so being able to (essentially) double-dip is quite valuable. If you're going to do the certifications anyway why not let them count toward a second bachelors or an masters?

*shrugs* seems like a good idea at first glance, that's why I'm asking :-)

Thanks for the feedback / info!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A job not worth doing is not worth doing well, but a job worth doing is worth doing right the first time."
I'm speaking with an Admissions Counselor now re: the MS in Information Security and Assurance.

So far (off the top of my head)...

Plus:
Tuition structure (six month block vs. per credit)
Certifications (either earn them or get credit for having them)
Test vouchers included in tuition
Both regionally and nationally accredited

Minus:
Although structured according to NSA guidelines, the school is not a full NSA Center of Excellence.

Of the five programs (three online, two B&M) I'm applying, I think this is one of the top contenders.
MS Information Security and Assurance, Western Governors University
BA Natural Sciences/Mathematics, TESC

CLEP: American Government, U.S. History I; DSST: Astronomy, Environment and Humanity.
lumpylump Wrote:I'm speaking with an Admissions Counselor now re: the MS in Information Security and Assurance..

Sweet, thanks lumpylump!

Just got off the phone with them. Overall the program seems pretty neat, and looking at the courses.... pretty legit too. Here is how it works:
Each exam directly correlates to a particular assessment so if you pass the exam just knock that particular assessment out of your schedule. Master's students are expected to take 8 units per (6 month) term, but you can do them all in one term. If you can Smile

In my case I will go in with all of the certifications out of the way so I knock out 16 of the 45 required units. Basically I'll cut the program in half right out of the gate. After that there is one other "Exam" to take, Advanced Leadership and Professionalism Concepts: which is a WGU thing. Everything else is assessment based. Read the syllabus, do the assignments, move on to the next assessment. It is pretty pricey per term at around (EDIT: /$6000/) $3000, but for that tuition you can take as many assessments over the 6 month period as you can fit it. I asked the adviser flat out if it could be done in 1 term and he said "if you can do it in 1 term, then go for it." There is a capstone project with a formal oral defense required, but that can be done by web-conference.

and now we know :-D

grauwulf Wrote:It is pretty pricey per term at around $6000, but for that tuition you can take as many assessments over the 6 month period as you can fit it.

Did they quote you $6K per term? WGU states $2890 per term in the literature & web and even with some one-time fees, it's still far from 6K.
MS Information Security and Assurance, Western Governors University
BA Natural Sciences/Mathematics, TESC

CLEP: American Government, U.S. History I; DSST: Astronomy, Environment and Humanity.
lumpylump Wrote:Did they quote you $6K per term? WGU states $2890 per term in the literature & web and even with some one-time fees, it's still far from 6K.
No, you're right. My fault on that, I was counting in some other personal stuff and didn't double check my numbers. Good catch.

When ever I feel my BA is not going to be enough to get me into teaching or that I just wan't to have a better chance I look at them. I am just so depressed and frustrated with the state of teaching alternate programs in NJ. I just don't know where I would come up with the money or the time. Anyone I have talked to from there has been very helpful.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
There are 18 assessments to completed. Compare than to other colleges where you need only 8-10 courses. How are you to do that in 1 term ?
Check out this article that compares WGU to the big three

Are Life Experience Online Degrees Fake? - Life Experience Degree | GetEducated.com
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,394 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 5,929 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,162 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Governors University IrishJohn 26 4,017 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Last Post: OE800_85
  Western Governors University - do you have any advice on head starts? wanderer168 0 778 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Last Post: wanderer168
  Western Governors University - My 2 year anniversary review publius2k4 5 1,301 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors University Degree Plan gmagerr 0 808 07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: gmagerr
  Western Governors University gmagerr 2 758 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Western governors' University - WGU - competency based? Experience or opinions? GoodYellowDogs 12 2,005 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Western Governor's (WGU) Course Question marianne202 16 3,472 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Last Post: ryoder