Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU class difficulty question....
How would you compare the difficulty level of doing a course at WGU vs. Study.com? 

Study.com seems to provide a consistent format both in terms of how the course content is delivered and
being able to offload much of the final exam score risk by doing well in the quizzes. 

WGU is less clear to me at a glance. The type of preferred content seems to vary from videos, pdf books, supporting text, and lecture recordings. 
While all of this appears to vary to an even greater extent at WGU in terms of content, it seems that the final exam is the only score that matters. 
I am not sure if a grade can be built through assignments before the final or not? If so maybe it varies by class.

What I really want to get at is this, how much of a difficulty "jump" does doing a course with WGU feel like versus taking it at Study.com?

Due to upcoming work and finacial reasons I will only take a few more Study.com classes before I begin at WGU soon. After that, 
I will being doing WGU courses until I graduate. I would just like to hear some thoughts.

Thank you.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(10-21-2019, 06:15 AM)AwardTour Wrote: How would you compare the difficulty level of doing a course at WGU vs. Study.com? 

Study.com seems to provide a consistent format both in terms of how the course content is delivered and
being able to offload much of the final exam score risk by doing well in the quizzes. 

WGU is less clear to me at a glance. The type of preferred content seems to vary from videos, pdf books, supporting text, and lecture recordings. 
While all of this appears to vary to an even greater extent at WGU in terms of content, it seems that the final exam is the only score that matters. 
I am not sure if a grade can be built through assignments before the final or not? If so maybe it varies by class.

What I really want to get at is this, how much of a difficulty "jump" does doing a course with WGU feel like versus taking it at Study.com?

Due to upcoming work and finacial reasons I will only take a few more Study.com classes before I begin at WGU soon. After that, 
I will being doing WGU courses until I graduate. I would just like to hear some thoughts.

Thank you.

Difficulty level (for me) was similar. But this will vary with different classes (some of the classes align to the material a little better than others)

The type of content for WGU does change with the class but they all have an ebook of sorts. And the only scores that matter are the final exam (Objective Assessments) and any papers (Performance Assessments) there is no way to offset any risk because you don't "build" towards a grade, you are only tested on you competency on the subject. 

For the 10 business classes that I took there to finish out my degree, there really wasn't much of a "jump" in difficulty - pretty similar. I have heard that the economics, accounting, and finance classes were more difficult at WGU than other options but I transferred all of these in through study.com so I never had to take them at WGU. If you are familiar with the subject the WGU classes could be finished faster than the study.com ones, I finished my 10 classes in 3 months without sacrificing my personal or social life. 

I would strongly encourage you to knock out the classes I mentioned above before starting at WGU. Especially consider knocking out the accounting, economics, project management, and finance classes at the very least. From what I have heard these classes have been the "widow makers" for accelerators. In my opinion its better to plan carefully and maybe take a little longer since the important part is finishing - put yourself in the best position to succeed. 

If you are curious about specific transfer equivalencies, my post in the "general education" section of the forum has my evaluation attached. It can be found here https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...leted-BSBM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoshDosMil's post:
  • AwardTour
(10-21-2019, 08:11 AM)JoshDosMil Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 06:15 AM)AwardTour Wrote: How would you compare the difficulty level of doing a course at WGU vs. Study.com? 

Thank you.

Difficulty level (for me) was similar. But this will vary with different classes (some of the classes align to the material a little better than others)

The type of content for WGU does change with the class but they all have an ebook of sorts. And the only scores that matter are the final exam (Objective Assessments) and any papers (Performance Assessments) there is no way to offset any risk because you don't "build" towards a grade, you are only tested on you competency on the subject. 

For the 10 business classes that I took there to finish out my degree, there really wasn't much of a "jump" in difficulty - pretty similar. I have heard that the economics, accounting, and finance classes were more difficult at WGU than other options but I transferred all of these in through study.com so I never had to take them at WGU. If you are familiar with the subject the WGU classes could be finished faster than the study.com ones, I finished my 10 classes in 3 months without sacrificing my personal or social life. 

I would strongly encourage you to knock out the classes I mentioned above before starting at WGU. Especially consider knocking out the accounting, economics, project management, and finance classes at the very least. From what I have heard these classes have been the "widow makers" for accelerators. In my opinion its better to plan carefully and maybe take a little longer since the important part is finishing - put yourself in the best position to succeed. 

If you are curious about specific transfer equivalencies, my post in the "general education" section of the forum has my evaluation attached. It can be found here https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...leted-BSBM

Thank you, fortunately I have those "widow maker" classes knocked out with the exception of Finance, which I will be doing at Study.com. So you did 10 classes in just 3 months while working full time without sacrificing your social life? That is impressive. I have no social life right now so there is nothing for me to sacrifice there lol

I will have 16 courses remaining when I start at WGU.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(10-21-2019, 08:54 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 08:11 AM)JoshDosMil Wrote:

Thank you.

Thank you, fortunately I have those "widow maker" classes knocked out with the exception of Finance, which I will be doing at Study.com. So you did 10 classes in just 3 months while working full time without sacrificing your social life? That is impressive. I have no social life right now so there is nothing for me to sacrifice there lol

I will have 16 courses remaining when I start at WGU.

Awesome, sounds like you're good to go. Since you have already taken all of those you should blaze through the WGU courses. If you have any questions on specific classes feel free to message me. I kept my study guides and papers for everything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoshDosMil's post:
  • AwardTour

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 309 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 970 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,674 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  Take Udacity class before WGU Data Management degree? pluggingalong 3 1,963 04-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU Alumni - Skillport Question jamshid666 10 2,848 04-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,936 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Credit Question jibtech 12 3,045 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Last Post: teacher2
  Western Governor's (WGU) Course Question marianne202 16 3,509 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors Univ. Question marianne202 5 1,336 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: dwilson