Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could UMPI do better?
1) Becoming partners with some of the more popular ACE providers and therefore on their websites with what everything comes in as.

2) Having the GEC's more transparent, and not so nit-picky: for instance, saying "a Biological science course," and them naming some of they types of courses that will work like "Biology, A&P, Nutrition" instead of listing particular courses. Most schools have categories of things they're looking for rather than specific classes. "Either your biological or physical science course must include a lab." I'm used to looking at the State of CA schools, and it's much more clear what will transfer in because they use categories that are more clear, and less specific.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • NC Coach
I have not tried the program.

I want them to offer more undergraduate majors online, especially Environmental Science.

It would help if they took NCCRS.

I would also be interested in a graduate program which is less common. (There are already so many options for MBA, M.Ed., MSN and generic ones like Liberal Studies.)

(03-13-2021, 05:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-13-2021, 04:51 AM)FastTrackDegree Wrote: I'm a bit confused about UMPI's transfer policy, I think they site could need an update... They accept unlimited transfer credits as long as you finish 30 credits with them right? How many ACE and NCCRS credits do they accept? And the General Education requirements are especially confusing to figure out...

They accept unlimited ACE credit. With, again, the 30-credit residency credit with them. They apparently do not currently accept NCCRS. It would be nice if they did.

For NCCRS they told me I can PLA it up to 30.
PLA isn't really the same thing as NCCRS. That sounds like a lot more work than the UMPI classes would be. It'd be nice if they took NCCRS courses directly.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Ideas
Personally, I hope they add a science or tech major. If they are offering computer science and mathematics, I will definitely give them a shot!
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
I think it is very important, especially when dealing with adult learners...many of whom may be rather successful professionals in their own right, that they allow the student to select the exact order of courses they take at UMPI.    I realize it would be subject to availability and the usual prerequisite requirements.   But outside those limitations, there should be nothing dictated.

But if both are available and a student wants to take "Class B" before "Class A" they should be able to choose their next class, not have it assigned to them.  

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."   Big Grin Sometimes you may be in the mood to study a particular subject, or avoid it.   Some feedback on this forum indicates that they are open to requests, but ultimately they will assign you the classes.   

I know that isn't important to a lot of people, but to me, that reeks of micromanagement that I simply don't like at all.  If I'm taking classes for a degree at one of the Big Three, I can do them in any order I want, with possibly a few restrictions based on cornerstone/capstone, and any required prerequisite classes.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes NC Coach's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(03-14-2021, 08:24 PM)NC Coach Wrote: I think it is very important, especially when dealing with adult learners...many of whom may be rather successful professionals in their own right, that they allow the student to select the exact order of courses they take at UMPI.    I realize it would be subject to availability and the usual prerequisite requirements.   But outside those limitations, there should be nothing dictated.

But if both are available and a student wants to take "Class B" before "Class A" they should be able to choose their next class, not have it assigned to them.  

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."   Big Grin  Sometimes you may be in the mood to study a particular subject, or avoid it.   Some feedback on this forum indicates that they are open to requests, but ultimately they will assign you the classes.   

I know that isn't important to a lot of people, but to me, that reeks of micromanagement that I simply don't like at all.  If I'm taking classes for a degree at one of the Big Three, I can do them in any order I want, with possibly a few restrictions based on cornerstone/capstone, and any required prerequisite classes.

Honestly, that would bother me as well.  I like to sequence my courses in a logical order, the thought of bouncing around, and being subjected to the whims of an advisor, does not sound like fun to me.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • NC Coach
(03-14-2021, 08:24 PM)NC Coach Wrote: I think it is very important, especially when dealing with adult learners...many of whom may be rather successful professionals in their own right, that they allow the student to select the exact order of courses they take at UMPI.    I realize it would be subject to availability and the usual prerequisite requirements.   But outside those limitations, there should be nothing dictated.

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."   Big Grin  Sometimes you may be in the mood to study a particular subject, or avoid it.   Some feedback on this forum indicates that they are open to requests, but ultimately they will assign you the classes.   

Remember UMPI is a b&m school first. At many b&m schools you're given your courses. You don't have any choices except for the electives. You don't register for courses in the YourPace program. Your academic advisor does it. You don't even have the ability to see what courses are being offered each term. The academic advisor has the list. Sometimes they will share it if you have specific questions, but the list also changes. The professors change. I had one change 2 days before the class began. There's the perquisite issue as well. The university has determined the order they want the courses to be taken which is very common at many universities especially state universities which UMPI is. It's really not that bad having your courses given to you. Saves you from stressing over what to take next. Every course is not open to all students either. I ran into that and was really bummed there was 1 project management course I couldn't take. If I was able to enroll on my own, that would have been a big problem because the course is not open to everyone. You have to meet a specific set of requirements for the course which aren't listed in the description. 
I've never heard of a B&M school that gives you your courses without any choices, except possibly the 3 big academies.
Even Strayer, which is weird and awful regarding registration, lets students choose which course(s) to take after their first semester.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 156 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 147 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 46 4,329 03-25-2024, 08:54 PM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 209 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 842 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 261 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,391 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 933 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,251 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares