Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think is the worst profession?
(04-19-2019, 01:37 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 11:00 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 10:37 AM)bluebooger Wrote: prison guard ?

I worked in a jail and a prison. The jail as a corrections officer and the prison as a counselor. My counseling office was inside the cell block.

How was it?

Inmates tend to be immature and manipulative. Most of them come from dysfunctional homes, so their emotional development is stunted. Jails have people of all security levels from petty thieves to murderers; the petty criminals caused the most problems. Jails also get people right off the streets while they're drunk and/or high, so there's a lot of vomiting and urination on oneself. Hospitals for the "criminally insane" usually don't have enough beds, so these people stay in solitary confinement if the jail can't handle them. 

I worked in a prison for people who were about to be released on parole and those who violated parole, so we only had fights about once every other month. For the most part, they didn't want to ruin their chance at freedom. It was a program for people with a history of substance abuse. 

(04-20-2019, 11:17 AM)Joeman200 Wrote: Telemarketer, politician, ambulance-chasing lawyers... just to think of a few.

I've done telemarketing. It's pretty bad, but it's not as stressful as being a dispatcher for a large public safety agency, which is the equivalent of working air traffic control.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-19-2019, 12:41 AM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: I spent one semester thinking it’d be cool to do ultrasound (like vascular, not pregnant people)... until I though of something during orientation and confirmed it. Vascular ultrasound technicians sometimes have to put mint under their nose so they are less likely to gag while moving peoples skin folds to find the veins. And then I was gone once I started thinking about the potentially rotten smell of skin “cheese”. Now I’m trying to avoid medical field careers, turns out a lot are not for the easily grossed out.

My 16yo daughter needed an ultrasound due to a stomach ache (thought it might be worse, turned out to be minor), and the ultrasound tech was so happy that she was thin, and it would be an "easy one."  My kid decided right then and there that something in the medical field where she actually deals with patients is a no-go.

She's thinking medical field now, but not anything to do with patients (surgical tech).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • MSK9
I worked as an insurance agent and did a lot of what was basically telemarketing. It wasn’t that bad. You get used to people yelling at you, telling you not to call, threatening to sue you, etc.

I also have a family member who is a plaintiff’s lawyer. My wife is an attorney and some of her friends from school work for firms that advertise a lot, have catchy slogans, billboards where the lawyers are trying to look hard, etc. Everybody complains about plaintiff’s lawyers until they get into a bad accident, have a work injury, or similar. Person can’t work (either for a while or permanently), they rack up thousands of dollars in medical bills, and the insurance company offers far less than what would be required to make the person whole. Suddenly, a lot of those people’s attitudes about “ambulance chasers” start to change. There are some bad lawyers, but most of them, even most “ambulance chasers” really are trying to get justice for their clients. Of course, it’s a job so they have to make money doing it. Such is the nature of capitalism.

To me, I would say that a garbage collector or a technician at a water treatment plant would be the worst job. You are dealing with people’s waste all day, you spend much of the day outside (with that waste), it’s cold in the winter and hot in the summer (with people’s smelly waste), and—very importantly—you don’t get paid all that well.

There are plenty of yucky medical-related jobs, but many of them pay pretty well given the education-level required. I would be a lot more willing to do a “gross” job for $75,000/year than for $35,000/year...
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
> To me, I would say that a garbage collector or a technician at a water treatment plant would be the worst job. You are dealing with people’s waste all day, you spend much of the day outside (with that waste), it’s cold in the winter and hot in the summer (with people’s smelly waste), and—very importantly—you don’t get paid all that well.

HA
funny
MANY times I have walked home from work (11 pm) after sitting at a desk all day, and I see garbage trucks stopping at corners picking up city trash cans and I've always thought "boy, I wish I was garbage man, you're outside, you're moving around, you're staying shape. The only time I'm not sitting at a desk is when I walk home"
I had a 5 minute conversation with a man who was a garbage collector and liked it. Pay was about 50% higher than the jobs stocking shelves at the time, although not much higher than factory jobs.

Washroom Attendant. What else?! <shivers>
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation WORST NIGHTMARE: Man Opens Airplane Exit Door During Flight! LevelUP 4 601 10-14-2023, 01:59 PM
Last Post: TechManRenewed
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 616 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,063 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  2019's Worst Colleges for Freedom of Speech sanantone 16 3,500 09-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  The New Worst Song Ever Maniac Craniac 18 2,527 04-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Ace_King