Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you fail to study before exams...
Love this woman...

[video]https://youtu.be/VNbPuFfvnkA[/video]
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
lol! Already educated <wink>
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:lol! Already educated <wink>

Haha, this is too much...

:iagree:
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Attending community college is already available to everyone- anyone- and if you're in a lower income bracket, you'll receive a Pell, which over-pays the tuition. We don't need free community college. Even at the most expensive CCs in the country, you can earn your associate's degree for about $8,000. That's $75/week - an amount most of us can swing working a few hours waiting tables.

Now- here's the big question, let's say everyone earned an associate's degree (transfer or trade occupation) what's the pay off? More skilled trades (good) and more transfer students (useless). Transfer students aren't yet trained in a skill- they have 2 more years to go! So, they're now faced with the HIGHEST cost tuition, 300/400 level. Even as a transfer student, now they're jumping into a program that's going to cost them no less than $30,000 to finish their degree- and that's only if they stay in-state and keep living expenses to the minimum. Much harder to swing....

I hate the idea of just a blanked "free community college" approach because it doesn't solve the issue- if we really do have shortages in this county in certain occupations, then fund incentives programs to attract students into those occupations.

(and even though I found the gal humorous to watch, the truth is, that speaking up is a skill I applaud)
cookderosa Wrote:Attending community college is already available to everyone- anyone- and if you're in a lower income bracket, you'll receive a Pell, which over-pays the tuition. We don't need free community college. Even at the most expensive CCs in the country, you can earn your associate's degree for about $8,000. That's $75/week - an amount most of us can swing working a few hours waiting tables.

Now- here's the big question, let's say everyone earned an associate's degree (transfer or trade occupation) what's the pay off? More skilled trades (good) and more transfer students (useless). Transfer students aren't yet trained in a skill- they have 2 more years to go! So, they're now faced with the HIGHEST cost tuition, 300/400 level. Even as a transfer student, now they're jumping into a program that's going to cost them no less than $30,000 to finish their degree- and that's only if they stay in-state and keep living expenses to the minimum. Much harder to swing....

I hate the idea of just a blanked "free community college" approach because it doesn't solve the issue- if we really do have shortages in this county in certain occupations, then fund incentives programs to attract students into those occupations.

(and even though I found the gal humorous to watch, the truth is, that speaking up is a skill I applaud)

It's a stepping stone to free 4 year college. I don't understand your antipathy to transfer students. Taking upper division doesn't cost more than lower division. The transfer student would essentially be paying half as much for their education.

Anyway, the problem that is being solved isn't shortages in certain occupations, it's the ridiculous cost of most higher education. Even at public universities it keeps rising at many times the inflation rate. I should know I've got twins I'm trying to somehow get through school. One just got in as a transfer to UCLA, and that's going to hurt.

Rant: What we really need is to stop the ridiculously extravagant expenditures that our public universities seem to think they need. University presidents don't need salaries like CEOs (of course CEOs aren't worth that money either).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Rant: What we really need is to stop the ridiculously extravagant expenditures that our public universities seem to think they need. University presidents don't need salaries like CEOs (of course CEOs aren't worth that money either).

And constantly brand new state-of-the-art gyms, cafeterias, etc.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
cookderosa Wrote:...Even at the most expensive CCs in the country, you can earn your associate's degree for about $8,000...

I'm actually really interested in seeing compiled data for this. My nearest CC is $5500 / academic year (tuition only and I believe there is a 30sh cap with a per credit fee afterward, not 100% on that though). A 60sh AA will run north of $11k with books et al. I wonder if there are some that are even higher out there?
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
Study.com: Principles of Marketing, Microbiology
edX: Intro to Dif. Eq., Linear Dif. Eq.
UND Ind. Study: Discrete Math
APU/AMU: Linear Algebra, Mathmatical Modeling
TECEP: Nutrition
B&M: Far too many!
cookderosa Wrote:Attending community college is already available to everyone- anyone- and if you're in a lower income bracket, you'll receive a Pell, which over-pays the tuition.

Jennifer, I adore you, however this statement is pretty much a blanket & not always true... though I wish it were! Many students for various reasons are not able to access this funding. When I first started college, because of my age & my parents refusal to be involved or fill out the FAFSA forms - I did not receive the pell grant until about the last term of my associates because I'd just turned old enough to apply on my own. I also met a girl last week (amazing young woman) who didn't qualify because she had a felony as a child, grew up in the system since both parents were involved in drugs, & she was pardoned for the felony much later when she was 28. By then she already had her bachelors. Her parents weren't involved in her college education either though. My point is that there are some extreme cases which exist, & for those of us who have lived through them we would have really benefitted from a different (more reasonable) way to access education. This forum is helping with that, but people shouldn't need to jump through hoops while their peers casually access college.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
cookderosa Wrote:Attending community college is already available to everyone- anyone- and if you're in a lower income bracket, you'll receive a Pell, which over-pays the tuition. We don't need free community college. Even at the most expensive CCs in the country, you can earn your associate's degree for about $8,000. That's $75/week - an amount most of us can swing working a few hours waiting tables.

I agree with part of your post. I do not agree with $75 a week being easy to afford. If I didn't receive the Pell Grant, I would not have been able to afford $75 per week. Luckily, Texas CCs aren't that expensive anyway.

I worked full-time, but I had bills to pay. I wasn't living at home with my mother. I also had a dependent to provide for making less than $9 per hour. $300 per month would have made us homeless. Of course, one can take on a second job, but that means that there would be practically no time left to put in an adequate amount of effort on schoolwork, especially if one is attending on campus.

The woman in the video does have a point. Making CCs free should be around the same cost as offering grants since grants are often give in excess. Of course, eliminating grants, though, would mean that students would have to take out loans to help with books and living expenses.

While some may believe that some college presidents make too much (a very small percentage make as much as CEOs), reducing their salaries will probably drop tuition rates a couple of dollars at most.

The required fees do hurt. Students should be able to opt out of access to things they won't use.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
davewill Wrote:It's a stepping stone to free 4 year college. I don't understand your antipathy to transfer students. Taking upper division doesn't cost more than lower division. The transfer student would essentially be paying half as much for their education.

Apples and oranges, not antipathy. A graduate with an AA for transfer hasn't yet earned their job skills they'll earn when they do their major. In other words, the "free community college" hasn't paid for 2 (+) years that matter- the last 2.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans may be fueling global warming by breathing: new study LevelUP 12 143 04-17-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 768 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  Passed All Eight Microsoft Fundamentals Exams sanantone 2 520 07-30-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  What was he thinking? Uber guy fail! bjcheung77 0 381 05-09-2022, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fail: Non-fungible token laugh... bjcheung77 3 599 04-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,639 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,462 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Study abroad burbuja0512 9 2,136 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,897 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Study of Georgia Tech OMSCS shows solid success davewill 2 1,568 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: davewill