Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to check a company's validity?
Is there a place to check out the validity of a company? I'm guessing there has to be some official organization with which a company would have to be registered with?

I was interviewed (online) for a remote internship position by a company that provides financial services to startups, and they seemed very professional and legitimate. Their website lists their staff, LinkedIn profiles match the same information found on their site, and so forth. I had a really good vibe about the company until at the end of the interview, I was asked for my bank login information (username and password) "for documentation purposes" to set up direct deposit. Of course, I declined to give the information, and now I'm not sure what the deal is. Besides the fact that that's not the necessary info to set up direct deposit, it's just such a weird interview request. Any ideas on how to know for sure that it's legitimate?
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
You can look up the company formation on the secretary of states website. Google "SOS and state name". Then business search. There are no safe guards set up preventing a fraudster from forming company - especially since most states hide officers personal info and most of the time don't request it.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Ok, so it's nowhere to be found on SOS, BBB, local chamber of commerce, etc. This "interview" lines up exactly with this sort of thing https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/beware-sc...rles-abell
some of the wording and questions were exactly the same, although my experience did not have as obvious give-aways as the one in the article.

Now I'm very skeptical of all the other offers I've received, lol. What should I ask in the very beginning to ward off scammers but not blow away legitimate offers?

Edit: Is asking for Tax ID# or registration info right at the beginning too forthright to blow away a valid offer? Some of these companies cover their tracks so well that google searching isn't enough, they have reviews and they make sure none of their info conflicts.
Graduated June 2018!
Most companies will want to meet you in person before offering a job. If that's off the table, it wouldn't pass the smell check for me.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(07-31-2017, 08:10 PM)quigongene Wrote: Most companies will want to meet you in person before offering a job. If that's off the table, it wouldn't pass the smell check for me.

I'd say that's still the norm for traditional jobs. I have hired contractors using thumbtack and have never spoken with them, but then again thumbtack has insurance and so does visa. Be careful as there are newer scams.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I normally look at reviews on Glassdoor and Indeed for any red flags. You can also do a Google search for "XXX company complaints," "XXX company rip-off," or "XXX company scam."
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-01-2017, 12:46 AM)sanantone Wrote: I normally look at reviews on Glassdoor and Indeed for any red flags. You can also do a Google search for "XXX company complaints," "XXX company rip-off," or "XXX company scam."

Some of these scam job offers cover their tracks so well, they have like 2 or 3 Google search pages of junk about themselves, including Glassdoor, etc.

Thought I'd post this tidbit for good measure. I read it on LinkedIn, and found it true, that legitimate companies will NOT text you initially, they will email, and they will not "interview" over chat/hangout, they will interview over the phone. Another thing, if the company site is not secure (httpS vs. http) then it should be questioned. Of course, scams will also email, but they usually have other giveaways like spelling/grammar, giving multiple aliases in one email, ask to interview over chat, ask for sensitive information, etc.

Funny story, I had so many scammers contacting me in the last week, and one phishing "HR Coordinator" said he would report me to my school for trying to tarnish the company's reputation by saying it was a scam.  Rolleyes
Graduated June 2018!
[-] The following 1 user Likes keepsingin's post:
  • Ideas
A company will NEVER ask you for your bank login and password. EVER. Direct deposit is done using bank info off the bottom of your check (routing number and account number), never through a login of any kind.

I worked in payroll, this is a complete scam. Please never give anyone your login info.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • High_Order1, quigongene
(08-06-2017, 11:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A company will NEVER ask you for your bank login and password. EVER. Direct deposit is done using bank info off the bottom of your check (routing number and account number), never through a login of any kind.

I worked in payroll, this is a complete scam. Please never give anyone your login info.

You're quite right, I knew it was fishy, I got thrown off bc the scammer was masquerading behind a legit company, just added one letter on the end to make his own lookalike. I was more of a rookie than I realized when it comes to scammers. Wiser now!
Graduated June 2018!
Sorry,

Late to the party.

Echoing DFrecore, there is no reasonable need for your banking login. There are jobs that try to pry in a similar fashion with your social media, but to pay you all they need is the account and routing number of the institution you wish to receive the funds.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Got some overdue library books? Check! bjcheung77 6 1,250 12-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Chan Zuckerber Initiative Backs Indian Education Company bjcheung77 0 527 10-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Company develops its own MBA curriculum and offers it to employees MNomadic 2 915 07-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  December 1 - New company, new job, still at home! bjcheung77 1 1,067 11-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Last Post: jsd
  When unpaid student debt leads to a smaller Social Security check bluebooger 7 2,514 12-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Last Post: jsd
  looking for something to read? Check this out! cookderosa 4 1,397 10-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Clothing Company Replaces Models with PhDs Jonathan Whatley 1 1,124 03-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Company Name Trademark Questions taylor 3 1,368 03-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Last Post: taylor
  Education Department deploys ‘mystery shoppers’ to check for fraud dcan 2 1,145 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  check it out! STG 27 3,689 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Last Post: STG