Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish I hadn't given Straighterline my money
(08-22-2018, 02:12 PM)katelynn Wrote: Can anyone else attest to the fact that Straighterline has the worst customer service? I'd put money on it that they've hired a bunch of kids to assist their customers. Several of the representatives I've spoken to, speak like actual children who can't maintain the slightest sense of professionality. I've had consistent issues with this company, but their representatives defend themselves to the point where they won't accept that there's a problem needed to be fixed. I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue if I had taken any other course besides English Composition, since this one relies so heavily on cooperation between the student and whoever they've assigned to be your grader -- which also changes like the seasons. I wish I had put my money elsewhere, such as a Sophia Learning course; the Sophia team actually knows what they're doing. I'm so dismayed about having to finish the rest of this course. I feel that I can't even reach out to the support team when I inevitably run into another issue, as it seemed this last employee caught an attitude and signed out prematurely. I'm uncomfortable knowing that my overall grade is in their hands, and I'm sure this is why they have a no-refund policy.

I had such a bad experience with SL English that I dropped it. But I have found their customer service to be OK. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's bad... it depends who answers your email. If I don't get the answer I am hoping for, I just send in another ticket and usually get a different reply. It's definitely not consistent. Overall they have been pretty good, but I can't say I 'enjoyed' taking any of the classes and I am glad I am almost done!

If you don't want to take a course, you can always take the CLEP College Comp w/Essay for 6cr, the CLEP/DSST combo for 6cr, or my favorite, the TECEP's. I liked getting it done in a few hours, but you have to be a fairly proficient typist to be able to get through the test quickly enough. There are other options as well, but I've heard that SL's English Comp II is even worse than I if that helps decide the next go-round.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • katelynn
(08-23-2018, 12:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you don't want to take a course, you can always take the CLEP College Comp w/Essay for 6cr, the CLEP/DSST combo for 6cr, or my favorite, the TECEP's.  I liked getting it done in a few hours, but you have to be a fairly proficient typist to be able to get through the test quickly enough.  There are other options as well, but I've heard that SL's English Comp II is even worse than I if that helps decide the next go-round.

I don't feel confident in my typing abilities. Sad  Any other self-paced Comp II courses you can think of that you've heard are decent?
ALEKS(9): College Algebra, Trig, Intro to Statistics
Sophia(42): Intro to Sociology, Human Biology, Environmental Science, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Art History I, Approaches to Studying Religions, History I, History II, Introduction to Psychology, Visual Communications, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Intro to Information Technology, Student Success
Straighterline(6): English Comp I, English Comp II
The Institutes(2): Ethics 312
TEEX(16): Cyber Security 101/201/301, Death Investigation, Basic Criminal Investigation, Foundations of Courtroom Testimony, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Forensic Photography

(08-23-2018, 12:39 AM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 12:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you don't want to take a course, you can always take the CLEP College Comp w/Essay for 6cr, the CLEP/DSST combo for 6cr, or my favorite, the TECEP's.  I liked getting it done in a few hours, but you have to be a fairly proficient typist to be able to get through the test quickly enough.  There are other options as well, but I've heard that SL's English Comp II is even worse than I if that helps decide the next go-round.

I don't feel confident in my typing abilities. Sad  Any other self-paced Comp II courses you can think of that you've heard are decent?

I'm in the same boat as you. While I'm a decent writer, when I'm writing academically, I tend to go a lot slower so I'd be concerned that I wouldn't be able to complete the written side quickly enough... or I'd have a hard time organizing my thoughts since my normal process for writing papers wouldn't work well in a proctored test environment. Of course, there are no open CLEP testing centers near me so I couldn't take the CLEP version without a 1-2 hour trip each way.

Most alternative course providers have their own versions of English Comp I and II. I think most here would recommend the Study.com version as it has fewer assignments. I'd also recommend SL English Comp II, but ONLY if you take the teacher-led option.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
SL has served my family well. I completed my degree before they started, but my sons (3 of 4) have all taken many SL courses. My interaction with customer support has been fine, but it's their WEBSITE that is death. Seriously, I don't know anything about computers, but it takes FOREVER to get pages to load no matter what computer we are on. My son's computer times out 9 times out of 10 before a page EVER loads- so most of the time they use mine. Seriously, it's soooo bad.
This is copied from a post I made in May. I will most likely be taking Eng Comp ll through them also.
"I highly recommend Ed4credit for Eng comp II for anyone that struggles with writing. My son hates writing and did not hate this class. I think he actually learned more than he did in any in other writing classes because it was broken down into simple steps and so straightforward. If I recall correctly, there were 8 sections all consisting of a reading, quiz, and assignment. The assignments all led up to one final draft of a research paper (around 1500 words I think). They even had a recording of the reading assignments and he just listened and followed the text. The 9th section was the final exam."
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
[-] The following 3 users Like mudball's post:
  • alab21, dfrecore, jeremiah_jn
(08-23-2018, 09:44 AM)mudball Wrote: This is copied from a post I made in May. I will most likely be taking Eng Comp ll through them also.
   "I highly recommend Ed4credit for Eng comp II for anyone that struggles with writing. My son hates writing and did not hate this class. I think he actually learned more than he did in any in other writing classes because it was broken down into simple steps and so straightforward. If I recall correctly, there were 8 sections all consisting of a reading, quiz, and assignment. The assignments all led up to one final draft of a research paper (around 1500 words I think). They even had a recording of the reading assignments and he just listened and followed the text. The 9th section was the final exam."

I think this sounds very doable, especially if you need more than a month to complete a course.  Some people do - SL/Study.com with their time limit isn't always a good option for everyone.

Their setup was pretty good too.  Easy to get through a course (I did Managerial Accounting), from the functionality side of things, unlike SL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • katelynn
(08-23-2018, 09:51 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 09:44 AM)mudball Wrote: This is copied from a post I made in May. I will most likely be taking Eng Comp ll through them also.

I think this sounds very doable, especially if you need more than a month to complete a course.  Some people do - SL/Study.com with their time limit isn't always a good option for everyone.

Their setup was pretty good too.  Easy to get through a course (I did Managerial Accounting), from the functionality side of things, unlike SL.

Although, with SDC, you don't really have to complete the whole English course within a month, just the proctored final. If you plan on taking more than 1 months worth of classes at SDC you can submit the papers anytime just as long as you have an active college accelerator subscription. Example: I ran through the vids/quizzes within a week or so, took the final, did assignment 1 then worked on my second class for that month. The next month I did my next 2 classes, then submitted my final 2 papers by the end of the month.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
With Ed4credit the course structure was definitely worth the little bit of extra cost and they often run discount codes. I think it took him about 2-3 weeks to finish. Eight assignments plus the final paper may seem like a lot, but all 8 assignments were straightforward, taken directly from what was explained in the readings, and rather simple. I think all, with the exception of the final paper, took less than an hour. The quizzes can each be done 3 times, but he only needed to do 2 or 3 of them twice.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes mudball's post:
  • katelynn
Ed4Credit's English Comp II sounds very similar to SL's Comp I as far as the number of assignments. 7-8 written assignments seems to be the standard, with the exception of Sophia's light work load of 4 written assignments.

With SL, I was writing a paper a day UNTIL my options dwindled down to research-type papers (not my strong suit). I've been sitting on this current assignment for three days now and all I have is the header & title.
ALEKS(9): College Algebra, Trig, Intro to Statistics
Sophia(42): Intro to Sociology, Human Biology, Environmental Science, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Art History I, Approaches to Studying Religions, History I, History II, Introduction to Psychology, Visual Communications, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Intro to Information Technology, Student Success
Straighterline(6): English Comp I, English Comp II
The Institutes(2): Ethics 312
TEEX(16): Cyber Security 101/201/301, Death Investigation, Basic Criminal Investigation, Foundations of Courtroom Testimony, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Forensic Photography

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 4 135 04-26-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 560 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 214 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,462 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 374 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 363 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 731 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 447 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 665 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,204 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore