Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a little WGU MBA review....
Officially passed my secong course E-commerce this AM. It consisted of a 17 page double spaced document (once revised) and some mock up web pages based on a companies online expansion plans.

5 credits...27 days Smile

I have to hit the pause button for at least a few days though...I have so much other stuff going on right now! Maybe back to work and the school grind Monday or Tuesday. I'm kinda bummed it would have been cool to get 1/4 of the degree done in under 1 month (need 1 more class for that)...oh well.

Best,

Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
You rock man!
Keep kicking butt and taking names.
Now I want to try WGU but I am already enrolled in two universities...
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:You rock man!
Keep kicking butt and taking names.
Now I want to try WGU but I am already enrolled in two universities...
One MBA not enough for ya? Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I am working on the CAGS/PhD at NCU and an EdS at USF concurrently. I am only dipping my toe in the EdS at USF by taking 4 grad cert courses that culminate in a grad cert in web design. This cert can apply toward a 36 credit EdS or a 30 credit MEd.
I might pause after the NCU CAGS is complete, which is 6 CS courses and of course I already have 5 PhD foundation courses done so that makes 11 PhD courses. I might pause and complete the EdS and then come back and do the PhD. Who knows. My company pays for the PhD courses but only up to about 3.5 per year so after I finish the CAGS I'll wait till fourth quarter to begin back in the program.
rebel100 Wrote:There were...get this...NO PRE-REQS! This was big for me. I really loathed the idea of tackling accounting/finance/and statistics...especially statistics. Even testing out this would have taken a long time and might have derailed the whole plan.

So I was curious, what was your BS area of concentration in? I am considering just getting a BA in Liberal Arts and applying to WGU MBA program, but I'm worried I might really struggle without all the knowledge from the undergrad business classes. On the other hand I'd hate to duplicate work.

I'm currently trying to decide between the following:
TESC BA Liberal Arts - 13 additional tests needed, 1 capstone course, estimated cost $5,150, estimated time 6 months
TESC BSBA -22 additional tests needed, estimated cost $5,350, estimated time 12 months
COSC BS (BA concentration) -18 tests needed, 1 cap & cornerstone course, estimated cost $4,550, estimated time 9 months.

(Estimated cost for each includes testing out of maximum credits, enrollment fees, required cornerstone/capstone classes & graduation fee.)

Do I need a GPA to get into WGU?
I have owned my own small business for 7 years. Do you think this would fulfill their 3 years experience requirement for admissions?
Can you really learn all you need to pass the WGU courses from the study materials? Or is a lot of background knowledge helpful?
And what is this I hear about an initial assessment test? If you do poorly, would that exclude you from being admitted?

Thanks so much for your posts! I've found them extremely helpful!
I. Don't recall a GPA being an issue....it never came up. I'm sure your 7 years experience will be fine, have a resume and be able to talk to the enrollment advisor about your experience. Everything you need is in the provided material...in fact, when you deviate is when you start having trouble. I think if you include the Clep management, marketing, and business law along with the dsst on human resources you would have a great bases to tackle the wgu mba, though I think it can be tackled without that. An accounting course would help too....sl maybe?
AS in EMS August 2010

Ok, time for a little update.

Due to some family issues I took most of October and early November off. This bled into the holidays and I basically squandered around 12 weeks. On one hand I had no choice but to hit the pause button and I'm glad I could just opt out...nothing to do, just stop studying, no one at WGU really cared. On the other hand I think I could have finished this degree in 1 semester and there is just about zero chance of that happening now....oh well, it was my fault no one else to blame. Smile

I did manage to get two of three tasks in Supply Chain completed and submitted just before Christmas...on...get this...Christmas day they both got sent back to me for revision. One was so bad that I was told to "see the course mentor" before proceeding. Frankly , it kinda pissed me off to be told the work was that far off the mark. I stepped away from it again till last week when I put a few hours into the revision on task one and sent it back in. Passed with high praise about how much my revision added to the quality of the work...yawn...but at least that ones behind me.

Task 1 , Supply Chain is about reconciling a manufacturing simulation with your inputs. Basically you work through the sim, and then take apart your own performance. My initial parer was 4 1/2 - 5 pages. Revised it ran 7 single spaced with bullets.

I haven't revised the 2nd task yet...but hope to have it done Tuesday/Wednesday. Task three is mostly done, I paused to be sure I was on the right track with 1 and 2 before submitting.

This week I begin working on Leadership...this will be the first "team" project. It promises to be a pain if for no other reason than you have to work in virtual groups and that will inevitably cause problems and slow the process....with that said WGU imposes a 4 week limit...so it will get done.

An important aside...I have started using Google docs for all my word processing. It's a big improvement. I can start a document and edit it from any computer. Changes get saved automatically and there is no need say to mail a copy from my office to my home computer in order to keep working on a project...pretty cool.

My goals for this semester (ends February 28) are to finish the following courses:
Supply Chain (1 of 3 tasks completed with the 2nd ready to revise and the 3rd mostly written)
Leadership - started and should move along nicely
Social Responsibility - This will borrow heavily from my actual job, not expecting this course to be particulary hard nor too time consuming.
Risk Management - again, I deal with this stuff at work, nothing new here and I don't expect it to be to much trouble.

If I manage all the above with the two courses I have already completed that will be 15 "credits" in a little over 3 months...I'm happy with that.There are only 33 "credits" in the program so it will be just a little under halfway.
AS in EMS August 2010

Supply Chain Task 2 second submission off yesterday. Task 3 submitted today.

The Leadership group project is starting...they are requiring a conference call and teamwork...oh boy!
AS in EMS August 2010

Thanks for the update. Sounds like some good progress. I also dont like teamwork in school. Too much like my real job.
Thanks for posting updates... I hope to be in WGU by summer Wink
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 342 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 590 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Institution or Professor review websites bjcheung77 2 774 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Arkansas State online MPA Review cardiacclep 22 6,809 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  "Last Mile" programs - book review Clepper43 1 976 10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Math placement test for comprehensive review? MNomadic 4 1,660 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TEEX/ACE "Pending Organization Review" AwardTour 5 1,441 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Straighterline Review Goblue34 13 6,430 05-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: vpassenheim
  Review of New Mexico Junior College (Biology) sanantone 3 2,475 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Tennesseegirl87
Star REVIEW: Propero vs. Penn Foster Joeman200 7 5,123 10-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Nixi