Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
general chemistry
Very cool, thanks!

So the CLEP isnt recomended?
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Rio Salado has Chem I & II, with separate labs. Not sure of the structure, so you may want to call them to see.

The CLEP will give you credit for Chem I & II, but not for the labs. You still have to take those.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
this is one of the subjects that isn't really testable. You need all 8, and by the time you patchwork quilt this thing into 8 credits you're going to be through 3 different courses/exam/companies which will forever be a royal pita. The solution here is just to go directly to a 2 sequence course or investigate the TESU loophole I told you about earlier.
cookderosa Wrote:Here is where I took mine online. https://webadvisor.ocean.edu/WebAdvisor/...S=3&APP=ST

If that doesn't take you there: http://www.ocean.edu --> online classes --> search classes
Note that there are chemistry courses in the long and short semesters. I took chem at the regular semester pace and microbiology over the summer on their accelerated schedule. I suggest taking it over a full semester sequence if you can. Still, they do have the option of doing Accelerated Chem 1 followed by Accelerated Chem 2 in one "regular" semester. Keep in mind also that it's much harder to start the sequence in spring semester, most schools right now are taking registration for chem II. Ocean has general I and II /organic I and II for spring, they must be gaining enrollment. That's a new offering since I've attended. Note that you have to buy a lab kit and have a digital camera for lab reports.

EDIT to add: I don't have time to search, but go to the TESU catalog. They have a little gem in there that if you do a "II" class, that you can automatically get credit for the "I" part. If you find it, that will save you a lot of money, assuming you can pass chem II without chem I. My brain hurts thinking about the prospect....but that's just me Wink

Can you take Chem 182 at Ocean, and then transfer it to TEMU As Chemistry II, and then receive credit for Chemistry I and II? Also, how does that work with TEMU? Does one apply for learned credit, using their Chemistry II transcript from TEMU, to prove they have the knowledge of I?

Thanks in advance. I am in a similar scenario at the OP, and I'm beyond tired of school.
icampy Wrote:Very cool, thanks!

So the CLEP isnt recomended?

CLEP Chemistry is extremely hard. Not because the material itself is extreme, but because the time limit is beyond ridiculous. At 1 minute 12 seconds per question, it borders on non-sense, since most questions are not linear (they require thought about multiple concepts across the coursework, or memorized formula solving). IIRC, answering 2 of 3 correctly results in a high score. Answering about 3 of 5 correctly results in a sufficient score. These are estimates, since no one knows how they calculate their wonky scale, but I am guessing some questions are weighted.

So factor that in, with the idea that a passing score may or may not result in lab credits. One of my local community colleges awards generously for passing it, but there is no mention anywhere that labs are included. So this means the OED (from the USPTO) is the authority. And we both know their main authority is giving non-answers.

https://www.chemeketa.edu/earncertdegree...epted.html
The reason I ask is because TEMU costs twice as much as Ocean. Ocean itself is expensive for lower division, but finding any chemistry for science majors is difficult and expensive regardless.

Looks like CH 182 requires 181 first. So either method costs about the same... :[ Still searching for better answers. I wish I could take a chemistry series w/ lab for health science, but they refuse to say if that is counted as a for-science-major series or not. Taking the raw chemistry major series is actually a massive waste of my time, since I specialize in agriculture/botany/horticulture. It lends very little to my personal frame work.
I can't believe no one mentioned TESU's standalone labs. You can take the CLEP, take Chem I lab at SL to save money, and take Chem II lab at TESU. Most TESU students here will already have transcripts from those three sources anyway. It might be cheaper just to take the Chem II lab through UNE, though. Since you can take chemistry or physics, you can take physics I and II at Saylor for a total of $50, take the physics I lab at SL, and take the physics II lab at TESU. I think Excelsior also offers a 6-credit physics Uexcel that is algebra-based. I'm sorry that I saw this thread several months late.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think because for the USPTO, the course must be graded, which leaves TESU, Community College, or CLEP. (I think???) I'd rather take a class over re-taking the Chem Clep. I don't have time for anxiety anymore. The primary issue w/ CC is that the classes are few, and they are filled up more than a month in advance. 3 classes of the same course for 500,000+ people in a metro doesn't really cut it. So go through that 3 times and hope you can get all 3 courses filled in one year. It's a lot of time.
Here is the "loophole". No mention of how it works. Took digging to find it:

"Sequential Course Work
With the exception of English Composition I and II, if a student has successfully completed a second course of sequential courses, he/she does not have to complete the first course. Please note that the reference to “sequential courses” means that knowledge of the second course is reliant on knowledge of the first course such as Calculus I and II. Students do, however, have to complete the minimum number of credits in each area to fulfill graduation requirements."
jadae@wgu.edu Wrote:I think because for the USPTO, the course must be graded, which leaves TESU, Community College, or CLEP. (I think???) I'd rather take a class over re-taking the Chem Clep. I don't have time for anxiety anymore. The primary issue w/ CC is that the classes are few, and they are filled up more than a month in advance. 3 classes of the same course for 500,000+ people in a metro doesn't really cut it. So go through that 3 times and hope you can get all 3 courses filled in one year. It's a lot of time.

CLEPs aren't graded. I don't remember a grade requirement, but I'll have to refresh myself on the requirements. I think there was something about non-collegiate credits, including CLEP, only counting if a school accepts those credits as equivalent to a course.

I went back and looked, and it said courses taken on a pass/fail basis will not be accepted. I don't know if that applies to the other category of credits awarded for life experience. Life experience credits are almost never graded.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking general thoughts and advise starsfan33 4 245 09-12-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  General Thanks And Where I'm Headed Now TINASAM 3 554 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 2,958 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,896 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Chemistry Course YehudisS 16 1,989 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: YehudisS
  Allied Health General Science Courses? threecats 7 1,188 07-08-2022, 11:58 PM
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,550 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant
  Has anyone taken TEL Chemistry 1 + Lab? DIGI-212 3 871 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Organic Chemistry class indigoshuffle 3 1,376 03-15-2021, 12:52 AM
  Can you help me with my general ed? Areyes2511 25 3,314 12-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL