Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
general ed waived?
Has anyone had any success getting general ed requirements waived?  I tested out of ENG 101 and 201 (by writing final papers).  I have the final papers, as well as rubric assessments/grades, but nobody wants to take them because they're test credits.  I would really rather not spend hours and hours writing a bunch more papers just for the sake of writing papers, if there's any way around it.  And I've completed an entire associates degree since "taking" those classes, including a plethora of papers: essays, research reviews, etc. so I think I've pretty solidly demonstrated that I can write.

Has anyone found an unconventional way around these requirements, and have any insight to share?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
WGU will take your associates and consider the GenEds complete. Besides that, your best bet is to CLEP them. You will just have to write a few timed essays.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • a2jc4life
I don't qualify for a full gen ed waiver, because my associates is an AAS, not an AS or AA. Liberty has a pretty generous transfer policy and has taken ALL of my transferred courses that were actual courses, so it's only my test credits that I need to "make up" -- and most of them are basically irrelevant to my degree, so it's only the two English classes and one other course. Not enough to make it worth finding another school, IMO, but if there's something else I can try with them, I may.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

What is the school willing to take instead? I'm assuming they won't take TECEP's? How about SL? How about a single course higher level than the English Comp I & II? Some schools will waive lower level courses when you take a course above them (like if you pass Calculus, they assume that you're proficient in College Algebra).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
They won't take a TECEP, no. Nothing, apparently, that's an institution-specific credit-by-exam. They will take the CLEP (even the modular one with no essay), but only for ENG 101; the second class doesn't seem to have a CLEP equivalent (for them). I believe they will take anything ACE-recommended for a similar class. (They've accepted all my ACE credit so far, but not always as the "normal" things. Neither of my Shmoop literature classes transferred in as literature, for instance, the Business Ethics class that everyone else accepts for the ethics requirement came over as a Business class [I'm petitioning for that one, though], and even Personal Finance came over as Business.) So I'm fairly sure anything considered College/English Comp I & II would serve, but I'm not 100% positive.

That's a good question on the higher-level course. I don't know.

I guess I should probably share how my classes DID transfer, in case someone else is looking for that information later.

Shmoop - Bible as Literature = BIBL 1xx (Biblical Studies)
Shmoop - Literature in the Media = CSTU 1xx (Culture Studies)
Study.com - Personal Finance = BUSI 223 (counts toward Business AOS)
Study.com - American Government = GOVT 220 (filled Social Sciences elective requirement)
SL - Introduction to Religion = ANTH 203 (filled Culture Studies elective requirement)
SL - IT Fundamentals = CSIS 1xx (Computer Science/Information Science, I think?)
SL - Introduction to Communications = COMS 101 (filled Communications elective requirement)
SL - Business Ethics = BUSI 1xx (counts toward Business AOS)
SL - Survey of World History = HIWD 1xx (filled information literacy elective requirement)
SL - Introduction to Sociology = SOCI 200
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

DSST Principles of Advanced English Composition?
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • a2jc4life
Looks like that one is only equivalent to 101, too. Sad
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Take the Study.com English Comp I & II. They're ACE recommended for credit and they're easier/faster than StraighterLine.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • greencouch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General Thanks And Where I'm Headed Now TINASAM 3 427 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 1,958 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,373 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Allied Health General Science Courses? threecats 7 990 07-08-2022, 11:58 PM
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,156 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant
  Can you help me with my general ed? Areyes2511 25 2,826 12-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Are the electives or cornerstone waived if you already have a BA Dowew 2 1,243 03-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BS general studies with physics concentration: Worth less than a physics major? sciencemathematics1 20 3,928 02-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  general bresnick 9 2,070 08-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Looking for BSBA in General Management. Need a plan. David.Hamad 3 1,452 05-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore