Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help funding school
ffdpsoldier Wrote:has anyone have any experience with Fort Hays State university, there degree cost per credit hour is 235$ so federal TA could pay for 100% of it til the 4,500 cap is met about 6 -3credit classes....

Have you considered just attending a regular State school? Their tuition will probably be cheaper. For example when I'm finished at AMU, I'll be transferring into Texas A&M University where their graduate tuition is $168 per credit hour, with all the fees it comes out to $225 per credit hour.
Tuition & Fees - Undergraduate Admissions - Texas A&M University - Central Texas
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
wish I could find a school like that , but the closest schools is the one im currently going to they have a 500$ credit hour
Beginning algebra- ALEKS
Intermediate algebra- ALEKS
College algebra-ALEKS
Precalculus-ALEKS
Intro to statistics-ALEKS
Trigonometry-Aleks
Business statistics-Aleks
BS- Western Michigan University- April 28, 2012
2nd Lieutenant- Dec 14, 2012
ffdpsoldier Wrote:wish I could find a school like that , but the closest schools is the one im currently going to they have a 500$ credit hour

Well what state are you a resident of? I will be attending Texas A&M online and their tuition is still low. You should be able to attend your state's schools at the same low in-state tuition rate if you are a resident and/or military.

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Michigan, the school I'm at is wmu, they want 400+$ a credit hour, be 1400 or so a class they don't give special rates for military
Beginning algebra- ALEKS
Intermediate algebra- ALEKS
College algebra-ALEKS
Precalculus-ALEKS
Intro to statistics-ALEKS
Trigonometry-Aleks
Business statistics-Aleks
BS- Western Michigan University- April 28, 2012
2nd Lieutenant- Dec 14, 2012
Shoto went to California Coast I believe. You can hit him up via PM for some details.

Also, I think Clep101's point is that if you are looking to take online courses from a school, why not look at any state school in Michigan and take the courses online at in-state tuition rates? I would hope there would be one state school with reasonable in-state grad tuition. But maybe I'm wrong?
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
CLEP101 Wrote:TA will not pay for two Masters, just one. However, they will pay for 1 Masters and 1 Graduate Certificate. The route I'm taking is getting the Grad certificate in History and a Masters in Public Administration using TA, then turning the Grad Certificate into another Mastes using the GI Bill alone. I'll be able to transfer in 12 SH out of the 18 from the certificate.

Hey, I was just wondering today if TA would pay for a grad certificate or only a "professional certification" outside of a school. I'm actually thinking about doing the same as you if they'll let me. You're sure the TA certification payment will pay for that? I know there is a $4,500 cap, and AMU's certificate costs are $5,850 at 18 credits, so I'm guessing $1,350 out of pocket?

But I'm thinking... At $12,000 total tuition for a graduate degree at AMU/APU, I may look to just foot the remainder out of pocket and use the GI Bill elsewhere. I mean, if TA is going to pay for one grad degree and half of a second grad degree (the certificate), then $5,850 to pay for the other half of a second master's is still less than 1/3 what I paid for my car. GI Bill will pay for up to $17,500 per year, $70,000 total, plus stipends. I think I'll pay the $5K. Smile

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

dcan Wrote:Hey, I was just wondering today if TA would pay for a grad certificate or only a "professional certification" outside of a school. I'm actually thinking about doing the same as you if they'll let me. You're sure the TA certification payment will pay for that? I know there is a $4,500 cap, and AMU's certificate costs are $5,850 at 18 credits, so I'm guessing $1,350 out of pocket?

But I'm thinking... At $12,000 total tuition for a graduate degree at AMU/APU, I may look to just foot the remainder out of pocket and use the GI Bill elsewhere. I mean, if TA is going to pay for one grad degree and half of a second grad degree (the certificate), then $5,850 to pay for the other half of a second master's is still less than 1/3 what I paid for my car. GI Bill will pay for up to $17,500 per year, $70,000 total, plus stipends. I think I'll pay the $5K. Smile

Well I'm capped at $4500 a year at $750 per class maximum payout which is 6 classes. Each Grad class is $975, so the extra $225 per class that will be out of pocket is paid by the GI Bill Top Up Program. As long as they see the Professional Certificate the same as a Graduate certificate, then they should pay for it, if you don't already have one. By the time I finish the MPA and Grad cert at AMU I should still be in the Army or about ready to retire. I'll just be using the remaining GI Bill benefits to turn the Cert into another Masters at Texas A&M. If I'm going to stay in Texas, might as well have a Texas degree. And the only reason I'm going this route is because I dread taking the GRE which is required at A&M. But if I already have a Masters, I don't have to take it. Funny that I would rather get a whole other degree just so I wont take a freaking GRE. :confused:

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

Can't blame you on the GRE actually. I think I would avoid that sucker too. I think someone posted here recently about spending a year studying for one. I think I'd rather spend that year taking the classes and at least only focus on one or a few topics at a time.

And having two grad degrees with one from Texas A&M sure has to feel nice. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,036 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  UA Global Loses GI Funding Alpha 1 984 04-01-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Peterson's DoD MWR Library- Any Info On Funding? koldplay24 9 3,578 05-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Looking for a school that caps Mil TA at $250 per sem hr for an MBA??? barberakb 6 2,182 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  (New to Military) Does the AF pay for grad school if I enter OTS? horsewhiz 1 1,019 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  From High School to USAF Fighter Pilot cframe 23 3,708 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Vandalet
  Using post 9/11 gi bill to complete prerequisites for dental school NcstateGrad 1 1,239 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Last Post: bldclot2
  GI Bill and Grad School SRT12 1 1,037 09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: smokey2011
  which school for a degree in history dave042 6 2,169 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Old Rusty Pipe