Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to verify credits?
If, and it's still a big if, my son decides to enlist in a branch (ANY branch) of the military, what is the best way to verify his credits? Is there one universally accepted option we can use that would work for everyone?

Here is what he has:
FEMA, 9
Community College, 3
ALEKS, 12
Straighterline, 3
CLEP, 6
I think that all of those credits have to be on a transcript at a B&M school(s) (whether earned there or not).
His recruiter normally heads up to school with signed permission and the school either provides transcripts or signs a form verifying graduation.
Usually its in the recruiters hands to verify education although it is a lot simpler if the applicant can provide a diploma.
Sometimes a recruiter has to dig deeper and actually contact the board of education for the county or city to obtain verification or proper records.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
dposborne Wrote:His recruiter normally heads up to school with signed permission and the school either provides transcripts or signs a form verifying graduation.
Usually its in the recruiters hands to verify education although it is a lot simpler if the applicant can provide a diploma.
Sometimes a recruiter has to dig deeper and actually contact the board of education for the county or city to obtain verification or proper records.

i don't understand what you mean by school and graduation?
I think you posted before I had a chance to finish my post edit hehe.

Education verification is usually done by the recruiter at a college or highschool. As far as I know there is no verification of non-traditional credits (ie: ALEKS, etc...) Those credits have to be on a transcript at an accredited college somewhere.
2013 BS
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS

[/SIZE]
Jen, I think the Excelsior One transcript might be the best place to prove credentials for the Military. It basically issues them from Excelsior in their transcript and so there's no sending stuff from everywhere to the DOD. Its expensive at $250 or so but you can claim some of it back if you enroll at excelsior.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:Jen, I think the Excelsior One transcript might be the best place to prove credentials for the Military. It basically issues them from Excelsior in their transcript and so there's no sending stuff from everywhere to the DOD. Its expensive at $250 or so but you can claim some of it back if you enroll at excelsior.

Okay, so I thought I read earlier that ACE transcripts were absolutely not acceptable, does anyone know if a credit bank transcript from EC or TESC is? Given the choice, I think I'd rather bank with TESC because of his FEMA (9) but I might not be totally sure of the process, this is way outside my expertise.
I thought of another idea, but it's expensive and I'm not sure if it would work. So, assume for a second that banking isn't an option, why couldn't a person enroll in the AAS option (TESC) and not just finish the degree? He could, of course, finish it later if he wanted to, and it would be an "official" college transcript.
The military is looking for credits at an accredited institution. How those credits were obtained is not a concern. So for instance if TESC gives out credits for the FEMA courses and they put them on a transcript for him, then he is good to go.

The example you give about enrolling is another viable option. You may just be able to do that at your local community college as well and it may be cheaper.
2013 BS
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS

[/SIZE]
dposborne Wrote:The military is looking for credits at an accredited institution. How those credits were obtained is not a concern. So for instance if TESC gives out credits for the FEMA courses and they put them on a transcript for him, then he is good to go.

The example you give about enrolling is another viable option. You may just be able to do that at your local community college as well and it may be cheaper.

Ok, thanks for your continued help. The CC would be cheapest, he has a class with them now, but he'd only get credit for that class. His local CC doesn't accept FEMA or ACE evaluated credit. I could use a surrogate CC as an option too; just thinking out loud.
cookderosa Wrote:Ok, thanks for your continued help. The CC would be cheapest, he has a class with them now, but he'd only get credit for that class. His local CC doesn't accept FEMA or ACE evaluated credit. I could use a surrogate CC as an option too; just thinking out loud.

The other people posting are fairly wrong on this account. ACE transcripts are sufficient. Whatever he hasn't translated into units at a college will fall onto his Joint Service Transcripts under the college level testing section. Even SAT/ACT scores go there too. It's pretty much a catch all for college activity. Once it converts to units however you choose to do it, it will be added again separately as a class under the appropriate heading. I only know this because I'm actively doing it. Now for meritorious advancement based on completed college, he must have actually been awarded credit for the course at the school. That would be the advantage to banking the credits. It should be 24 semester hours to go from E-1 to E-2 and 48 semester hours to go from E-1 to E-3. Starting out at the higher paygrade would balance out the cost of banking the credits and also speed up his overall advancement in the military. :0)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,416 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,849 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,290 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,797 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,147 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259
  Cheap source of credits for veterans UptonSinclair 7 2,683 01-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,097 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  DLPT 1/1 good for how many credits? GamingTheSystem 1 1,254 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Last Post: ReyB250
  Can you take a look at these credits and figure out the fastest bachelor's degree wmccullen 10 2,532 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: cookderosa