Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in 2017 I gave up on this before I even started. Now I'm serious, but I need help.
(05-07-2019, 01:49 AM)Ideas Wrote: Davar Academy is good for testing out of business courses. Some do require papers. But note that they are only NCCRS not ACE. ACE credits have more schools that accept them.

COSC is that much cheaper now? Wow.

Hey! Davar Academy allows you to test out of business courses and transfer credits out? I won't be required to take the course?

(05-06-2019, 11:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COSC is cheaper than TESU by $2000.  WGU is probably faster, but also cheaper if you finish in 1-2 terms.

Is this assuming I take the courses offered by WGU and not study.com or testing out via CLEP etc. 

Also, I tried signing up for Study.com and they want $199/month. Any discounts available? Or ways around this?
(05-07-2019, 11:46 AM)David.Hamad Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 11:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COSC is cheaper than TESU by $2000.  WGU is probably faster, but also cheaper if you finish in 1-2 terms.

Is this assuming I take the courses offered by WGU and not study.com or testing out via CLEP etc. 

You can transfer in up to 90 credits towards WGU, and then quickly work through the final 10 courses at WGU. So you can take everything other than the last 10 courses via Study.com, Straighterline, or CLEP, etc. Getting through those last 10 courses in a single term at WGU shouldn't be an issue since they are competency-based. Most people can get through the WGU courses about as fast as they can get through the same courses at Study.com or Straighterline. So WGU can be a lot cheaper if you plan accordingly.

(05-07-2019, 11:46 AM)David.Hamad Wrote: Also, I tried signing up for Study.com and they want $199/month. Any discounts available? Or ways around this?

There is a 1-year discount plan available, but I don't recommend it. That $199/month includes two exams, so it translates to $99 per course, which is about average with every other provider. Once you're subscribed you can save additional money by taking more than two exams per month; each additional exam after the 2nd costs an additional $70, which saves you $29 for each one you take during that month. When I was taking Study.com courses, I ended up paying for 3-months and completed 15 courses during that time, saving myself more than $260.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-07-2019, 11:46 AM)David.Hamad Wrote:

Also, I tried signing up for Study.com and they want $199/month. Any discounts available? Or ways around this?

You can transfer in 90cr to WGU.  They don't take NCCRS (like Davar), but they take ACE.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
COSC and WGU do have Business Degrees and can be cheaper at this time (ie: if WGU is completed in one term), but they do not offer a Finance concentration - where TESU does.  COSC is not ACBSP, WGU and TESU are - for many this wouldn't matter, but if it does to you I want you to be aware.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • David.Hamad
(05-08-2019, 08:58 AM)allvia Wrote: COSC and WGU do have Business Degrees and can be cheaper at this time (ie: if WGU is completed in one term), but they do not offer a Finance concentration - where TESU does.  COSC is not ACBSP, WGU and TESU are - for many this wouldn't matter, but if it does to you I want you to be aware.

What is ACBSP exactly?? How important is it in landing a good job.
(05-08-2019, 10:48 AM)David.Hamad Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:58 AM)allvia Wrote: COSC and WGU do have Business Degrees and can be cheaper at this time (ie: if WGU is completed in one term), but they do not offer a Finance concentration - where TESU does.  COSC is not ACBSP, WGU and TESU are - for many this wouldn't matter, but if it does to you I want you to be aware.

Depends on where you're trying to land a job.  I've always worked in HR/Finance in the private sector, for normal companies, and never had anyone ask for any accreditation.  I think it's more common in the Accounting/Financial sectors.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

ACBSP = "Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs" - https://www.acbsp.org/
Amberton University

(05-08-2019, 11:25 AM)allvia Wrote:

ACBSP = "Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs" - https://www.acbsp.org/

Yes I see, but does this influence employers? How important is it when it comes to finding a job?
(05-08-2019, 01:13 PM)David.Hamad Wrote:

Yes I see, but does this influence employers? How important is it when it comes to finding a job?

It can vary depending on where you are located.  I would suggest you look at schools close to where you are located, if none of them have this (or other top tier accreditation - see https://www.allbusinessschools.com/busin...editation/) for their business program then it likely has little to no impact on the local job market. There is definitely nothing wrong at all with COSC, its an RA state school (CT) and currently a leader in the low cost option.

For you personally, if you want the Finance concentration so you can list it on your resume then that leaves TESU.  If you're ok with a BS Business Administration then it is likely lower cost WGU or COSC would be the better option. Many people here, myself included, have opted for the general BSBA and focused on our career interests at the master level. I'm very proud of my BSBA-GM from TESU, and COSC was originally my first choice - it just wasn't the lower cost or easiest to pre-plan back when I started this journey. Now COSC is coming back into favor for Big 3 recommendations (the "most popular" Big 3 seems to shift every few years due to changes in alt credit options, and school changes in policies and costs)
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • David.Hamad
(05-09-2019, 06:43 AM)allvia Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 01:13 PM)David.Hamad Wrote:

It can vary depending on where you are located.  I would suggest you look at schools close to where you are located, if none of them have this (or other top tier accreditation - see https://www.allbusinessschools.com/busin...editation/) for their business program then it likely has little to no impact on the local job market. There is definitely nothing wrong at all with COSC, its an RA state school (CT) and currently a leader in the low cost option.

For you personally, if you want the Finance concentration so you can list it on your resume then that leaves TESU.  If you're ok with a BS Business Administration then it is likely lower cost WGU or COSC would be the better option. Many people here, myself included, have opted for the general BSBA and focused on our career interests at the master level. I'm very proud of my BSBA-GM from TESU, and COSC was originally my first choice - it just wasn't the lower cost or easiest to pre-plan back when I started this journey. Now COSC is coming back into favor for Big 3 recommendations (the "most popular" Big 3 seems to shift every few years due to changes in alt credit options, and school changes in policies and costs)

I've already got a plan set for COSC D: But if I am going to bust my a** for the next long while it needs to be worth it. I don't want to give a potential employer the opportunity to hesitate over my degree. If having this acbsp is worth pointing out I will have to go with TESU. Also I do want to concentrate on the finance sector. I'll have to dwell on it for a bit. Maybe look at some job listings to see weather it is mentioned anywhere.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,730 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A) CiggyTardust 24 4,874 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Big Grin Desperately Need Help To Get Started Risingstar 12 2,254 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
  MOOCs you've done or started, and your opinion of them Ideas 16 2,555 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  2017 Pass Rates cookderosa 25 16,299 12-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  The $2,725 Regionally Accredited B.S. Degree on 12.15.2017 Life Long Learning 3 1,728 12-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  It's 2017 Income Tax Time and I have a question High_Order1 27 8,794 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Last Post: icampy
  I started new job and need help choosing a quick degree for advancement Jtatum2701 35 4,158 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM
  NEW (higher) CLEP EXAM FEE, effective July 1st 2017 MD_AJIBULU 6 2,402 03-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MD_AJIBULU
  New GED 2017 (After May 2017) shamin 0 1,045 01-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Last Post: shamin