Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my brain is melting this semester
Ok, this is a vent, not a question- but my brain is melting this semester!!!

Son #1 re-enrolling in college but moving 1 hour away to do so. Trying to help him arrange housing through AirBnB a job transfer, moving trucks, FAFSA, and scholarships all the while figuring out how to squeak another $500/month out of my budget to help him.

Son #2 is finishing an AS and high school diploma (god willing) but also starting an AAS in August and new internship in January- so FAFSA -letters of rec-transcripts from every school and homeschool-and scholarship applications and more letters. Oh, and clothes for his internships lol!!?!

Son #3 just finished his BOG AAS but we are trying to get the rest of his BS done before summer- which means applications, classes, and costs from 4 different places. No FAFSA for him, but applying feverishly for scholarships and trying to figure out if his advisor has everything where it goes.

Son #4 is in 8th grade, and I'm (just) homeschooling him, but that takes my entire morning/afternoon and we just found out he is eligible to start dual enrollment next year so testing and transcripts and and and and...... oh, and he'll need a ride. Wink

I'm seriously losing it.
4 sons!!!?!

My oh my! I don't know if I could deal with 1 teenage version of me, much less 4! Props to you for doing what you do AND contributing here and your blog!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I am going to go through that in a decade... don't tell all... we just know or want to know,, how can we handle them better now going forward so it'll. e easier for both baby and parent... did I just say baby... I meant... teen... yea
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-08-2018, 02:42 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I am going to go through that in a decade...  don't tell all... we just know or want to know,, how can we handle them better now going forward so it'll. e easier for both baby and parent... did I just say baby... I meant... teen... yea

Uh, are you ok?

In response to what BJ was maybe trying to say before autocorrect AI robots overtook him... I have a 5yo son and a 2yo daughter... We're over a decade off from where Jennifer is. And yet I can't imagine the brain meltdown I'm looking at in 10yrs... Even though I'll be looking at HALF the frustration you are, Jennifer! (wife and I are officially done at 2!).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-08-2018, 03:31 AM)jsd Wrote: [...]
I have a 5yo son and a 2yo daughter... We're over a decade off from where Jennifer is. And yet I can't imagine the brain meltdown I'm looking at in 10yrs... Even though I'll be looking at HALF the frustration you are, Jennifer! (wife and I are officially done at 2!).

My daughter is about to turn 3 in just over a week. We only have the one, and she's already incredibly independent and willful. She's a handful for us, though that may be because we're older parents. We have no plans for any more children. I can't imagine having to deal with 4 kids, though sons may be easier? I don't know. Smile

I can't imagine how things will be when she's ready to hit college, though by that time I'm sure things will be very different education-wise. Hopefully, online education will be the norm rather than the exception as it is today.

Either way, I'm sure it will get easier, Jennifer. Hang in there! Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Boy, am I glad to finally be drawing that phase to a close! Son #1 (30) is leaving home for the second time to take a job across the country. The twins (24) have both finished their undergrad and are working for a year before finishing their respective educations... But that's not Mommy and Daddy's worry.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I don't even know how to comprehend all of that! It's hard enough shepherding my 2 through high school!!!

Didn't you move to NC for your husband to take a job at a college, so that your kids could get free tuition? And NONE of them are using that benefit? I could be wrong...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You can do this, Jennifer. Drink more coffee, let the housework pile up, and break out the frozen pizzas (unless that offends your culinary sensibilities). It's a season. It will pass. And when you come out on the other side, you will have so much more valuable information to share with the rest of us.   Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • cookderosa
Your brain is not melting, it is stretching and growing! You got this.
(12-10-2018, 11:15 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't even know how to comprehend all of that! It's hard enough shepherding my 2 through high school!!!

Didn't you move to NC for your husband to take a job at a college, so that your kids could get free tuition? And NONE of them are using that benefit? I could be wrong...

HA HA, yes.

We did take this job for free tuition (having 4 kids, that was a HUGE deal), but that was in 2012, so my kids were pretty young and hadn't picked career choices at that time. (ages 7, 11, 13, 17 when we moved) so we didn't lock them into attending Johnson & Wales, but it was an option, so I could check that box in my brain that they had (still have) free tuition at that university if they want.
My son who is 20 will graduate from COSC this year, and he had over 70 credits when he graduated high school from ACE and dual enrollment- unfortunately, Johnson & Wales wouldn't have accepted any (!) of those, so his "free" business degree would have meant starting from square 1. Something he had zero interest in doing (I feel the same, what a waste of time). My other 3 pursuing careers that aren't offered at that school - except for my #3 son could get his master's from there, however, I'm hoping he'll do the Georgia Tech program instead. Anyway, yeah- so it's available, but it's not a good choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 brain surgeries... bjcheung77 1 484 02-17-2022, 02:19 AM
Last Post: WilliamC340
  Just finding out about exit exam during last semester of master's program soliloquy 13 3,138 04-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Last Post: passit1
  Kind of annoyed that professor won't let semester end. soliloquy 12 1,539 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My ECE Evaluation got me 65 Semester Hour Credits!! Saharapost 9 1,823 02-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Last Post: AlbaTiVo
  Brain food cw008658 20 2,591 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Last Post: OpenRoot
  qtr hours vs semester hrs nj593 0 706 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Last Post: nj593
  Done (for this semester) and tip for UMUC students matt 0 838 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Last Post: matt