Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How many classes per term
#6
burbuja0512 Wrote:What did you have in mind? I think most of us are here because we're trying to CLEP out of many of our requirements. I'm not sure that I can think of anyone here that's enrolled in a bunch of classes at once. I could be wrong, but if they were, they probably wouldn't have time to study to do well on their CLEP/DSST tests..


I used CLEP for my gen eds, but I VERY MUCH enjoyed taking classes inside my major. I also felt very confident providing my transcript to grad schools. I rec'd admission to every grad school I applied to (so far, which I think is 7 universities, lol- I could eat my words later).

I have always suggested a mix of tests and classes for 2 main reasons, both revolve around grad school.
1) Testing doesn't teach you how to write, and writing is necessary for grad school. Form writing, like APA or Chicago style, are typically taught in undergrad, so this might be a struggle for some people coming in blind.

2) Testing doesn't provide a GPA, which is necessary for many grad school paths. Can you get into a for-profit without a GPA? Most certainly, and on the first try. Can you get into an online grad program from a public university without a GPA? Most certainly, if not your first choice, then a second choice. Can you get into an B&M master's or Phd grad program that will pay you a stipend without a GPA? Ehhhhhh....I wouldn't count on it. In other words, it's highly situational.


Another thing to consider, is if in the future you plan to enter a profession that has prerequisite courses. In some cases, those prereqs must be met with LETTER GRADES, which obviously testing doesn't provide. In addition, some professions (like a CPA) don't accept CLEP toward the undergrad requirement. Some programs require lab sciences, etc. If you are trying to maximize the return on your investment, you should always be looking down the pipe, seeing what's next and what decisions/situations you will have to navigate in the future. Doing so puts you in an excellent position to use both CLEP and classes to their fullest.


Messages In This Thread
How many classes per term - by rhallmmi - 12-13-2010, 06:12 AM
How many classes per term - by burbuja0512 - 12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
How many classes per term - by TMW2010 - 12-13-2010, 10:12 AM
How many classes per term - by TMW2010 - 12-13-2010, 10:28 AM
How many classes per term - by cookderosa - 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
How many classes per term - by cookderosa - 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM
How many classes per term - by burbuja0512 - 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
How many classes per term - by cookderosa - 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 4,525 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 10,838 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 3,380 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Where do they Fall? Classes BSBRose21 1 2,200 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 5,198 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  Anyone take classes at DMACC upper-level, for under $200 online frank.f.franky 5 3,794 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TECEP Term - How does it work? Silly_Me 15 6,666 02-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU registration term dates & enrollment keepsingin 11 5,281 02-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes? scout2family 11 5,858 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Anyone take LIB 495 September term and still waiting on grades? cali86 6 2,738 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Last Post: rlw74

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)