Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AA from the big 3... am I close?
How close am I to an AA? I think Excelsior might be my first choice because I can complete the capstone in 8 weeks (I think). I'm still browsing their website but it's a little difficult to get an exact cost for each class...

Anyway, here's where I currently stand. 71 credits. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Going after the fastest option here. Liberal Arts maybe?

Cr. Class Description
3 COM161 Intro to Public Speaking
4 ENG105 Reading, Writing, Inquiry
3 MATH117 Math Concepts
3 THD104 Theatrical Experience
3 PSY180 General Psychology
1 IDC199 Health
4 CHE101 Consumer Chemistry
3 CSC199 Intro to Information Technology
3 JPN350 Japanese Literature in Translation
3 RES132 Real Estate Principles
3 RGS200 Intro to Religious Studies
3 ART121 Art Appreciation
3 CHN101 Chinese
4 GSC199 Earth Science
3 HIS221 American Experience to 1865
5 MAT130 Technical Math 1
4 ITD107 Intro to Tech Drawing
3 CET284 Sustainable Design
3 ECO230 Macroeconomics
5 MAT230 Technical Math 2
3 PHY130 General Physics
1 PHY131 General Physics Lab
1 OR Orientation

Thank you so much!!
I know many folks here can help you place your accumulated credits into their correct categories for evaluation - but if you haven't seen the EC AA/AS Liberal Arts degree charts yet, here are the links.

(The AS is the more flexible degree if you want/need to apply professional credits)

AS Chart https://my.excelsior.edu/documents/78666...79a1efc21b

AA Chart https://my.excelsior.edu/documents/78666...837bc9b8f6
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Are you bilingual? Big credit if you are...

Here is the breakdown for the AA https://my.excelsior.edu/documents/78666...837bc9b8f6

I think you're very close!
Yes, assuming that these are semester hour credits and not quarter hour credits and that your English course will be accepted as English Composition, which I am not sure about based on the title, you are so close. You should only need Info Lit and the capstone course to finish your AA/AS degree at EC. I know you are in a rush, and I hope it works out for you!

Here is the chart for the cost:

http://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-finan...ergraduate

You won't need the SSAF, since you'll be graduating within the first year. The total cost should be about $2500-3000 to complete everything.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Yes, assuming that these are semester hour credits and not quarter hour credits and that your English course will be accepted as English Composition, which I am not sure about based on the title, you are so close. You should only need Info Lit and the capstone course to finish your AA/AS degree at EC. I know you are in a rush, and I hope it works out for you!

Here is the chart for the cost:

Excelsior College | Excelsior College Costs & Financing for Undergraduate Students

You won't need the SSAF, since you'll be graduating within the first year. The total cost should be about $2500-3000 to complete everything.

About the English class....they just combined the literature and writing classes into one. A few years ago they had 101 and 102, and now just 105.

Now, what's the fastest way to do this? I haven't submitted my transcripts to EC yet but I did send them to TESC... Does EC generally take a month or so to apply? Or can I enroll while they tally my credits? At least start that Info Lit class...

Thank you everyone for all the information and links. For some reason, some of this stuff just isn't obvious to me. When I look at my finished classes, I have no idea what will apply and where it will apply.

And yea, they're semester hours. Smile
Would it be better if I could finish through TESC? The June graduation deadline is April 1st... are they extremely strict on that or can I submit a late application? I still haven't gotten my credit assessment back yet, and when I applied, I applied for a Bachelor's. Will it take another month if I ask them about an Associate's? I may be able to knock out 4 tests in only one month, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get everything filed and acknowledged in time. Can I completely test out of an AA from TESC? And if I meet the residency requirements, I don't have to pay that $3k fee, right? Or am I misunderstanding?
lillingworth Wrote:About the English class....they just combined the literature and writing classes into one. A few years ago they had 101 and 102, and now just 105.

Now, what's the fastest way to do this? I haven't submitted my transcripts to EC yet but I did send them to TESC... Does EC generally take a month or so to apply? Or can I enroll while they tally my credits? At least start that Info Lit class...

Thank you everyone for all the information and links. For some reason, some of this stuff just isn't obvious to me. When I look at my finished classes, I have no idea what will apply and where it will apply.

And yea, they're semester hours. Smile

When I looked for another student a few years ago, the timing of this was very tricky because EC did not offer Info Lit and the capstone course very often. I also do not know if they allow them to be taken at the same time. When I took Info Lit through EC in 2010, I was not enrolled and it only took a few days to finish it.

I think my transcripts took about 3 weeks to get to EC, and EC took about 3 weeks to get them evaluated. If you are sure about this, you can ask if you can enroll before the evaluation is complete.

Cookderosa wrote a wonderful post about the flow of credits. (Note: Some specific policies have changed.)

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...mmies.html

I am glad that you are looking at all of your options. Maybe you could meet your deadline and lower your costs through the TECEPs,

TESC expertise needed please!!!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

TESC's ASBA, AA in Arts, and ASNSM programs do not require a capstone, so you can completely test out of them. Under the Per Credit Tuition Plan, you can complete an associate's at TESC for less than $2,000 using TECEPs to fulfill the 12-credit residency requirement for associate's degrees. TECEPs are TESC's in-house challenge exams. The other two tuition plans do not have a residency requirement, but they will be more expensive.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post172168
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thank you Sanantone!

Lillingworth - How close are you to finishing an associate degree at your current college?

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

From my university... not at all. From what I could tell, they require the graduation application to be submitted 8 months in advance. I emailed them this week and they basically passed me around from person to person because no one had answers. The website has links for all the programs' requirements, but they're not working. They have a flash based chart that tells how close you are to graduation based on what you've currently done, but it's not accurate. it doesn't account for classes the school requires you to take before graduation.

Thank you sanantone for the link! I'm still not sure which tests I need to take... any recommendations on which ones I probably need? If I can finish before April 1st I can graduate in June

Thanks again guys!

Edited to add: Here's the page for degree requirements from my school: http://www.murraystate.edu/academics/Uni...grees.aspx

Maybe it's just on my end but I can't get anything to work. I've looked but I can't the right person to contact either. They really don't do much with associate degrees here; there's a local community college that everyone usually attends instead if they only want to go 2 years.

But still... if I know which TECEP tests to take I can get started. Does Instantcert include flashcards for them too? Last time I bought a subscription I didn't need TECEPs so I didn't look.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So close! Need Help Denouden 6 874 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  AA Liberal Arts via CLEP only or close to it. spaceycowboy 5 871 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  So close I can feel yet so far deucess 0 360 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Last Post: deucess
  How Close Am I To Associates? Nerheim55 6 1,260 07-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Last Post: KayV
  Close to enrolling in TESC, but have a few questions, mainly about load. spare_liver 4 635 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Last Post: mrs.b
  Soooooo close! publius2k4 6 744 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Close to completing BA in Computer Science at TESC. Need some advice. beastmaster 3 721 12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Last Post: beastmaster
  Close to Finishing Traditional College but... StarTorch 13 1,271 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Stitching Belle
  How Close Am I ?..............Degree Plan Help fuzzair 5 1,310 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Fully testing out (or close to) Mitchmcc 6 1,427 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Last Post: cookderosa