Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AA or BA guidance
My good friend would like to finish a degree but cost is the biggest factor. I know some of you have pursued the BOG AA degrees, but I don't understand the limitations on credit/CLEP. She doesn't have any ACE credit, but would be open to SL or similar. Our local CC might be an option too, I'm looking into that on my own.
Here's her credit portfolio - courses were taken at local CC with good grades.
Suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!!

ENG101, English 1, 3cr
SDV114, Becoming a Master Student, 3cr
PHI101, Philosophy, 3cr
PSY111, Intro to Psychology, 3cr
CSC110, Intro to Computers, 3cr

CLEP Human Growth Developments, 3cr
CLEP Sociology, 3cr
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, 3-6 (taken in 2012 so maybe 6)
CLEP Educational Psychology, 3 cr
CLEP United States History 1, 3 cr
CLEP United States History 2, 3 cr
I did a few options for her:

TESU will be the most expensive, so that one is out for the AA (in spite of the fact that her courses will all "fit" into the degree plan). $2800+

COSC is next, partly because of that pesky science lab that will have to be done, and the cornerstone. $2700+

Patten is a real option, because at $1316 for a 4-mo term, if she powered through 11 or so courses in that 4 months, she could do it for the $1316 max. If she wanted to take some courses first (ALEKS for math, a few other SL or Study.com for instance, it would be a little more expensive, but she would have fewer courses to complete in the 4 months. This would be an especially good option if she got the Guardian/Study.com scholarship or took some CLEP's for free through Modern States - or both).

WVNCC will take ACE, and the only cost there is the cost of the courses. So, again, if she got the Guardian/Study.com scholarship and did Modern States, that would be an awesome and free way to get courses completed.

I highly suggest that she apply for the scholarship immediately, so that if it takes a few weeks to find out, she's working on some stuff.

I also think she should start on Modern States.

And do the free Insurance Ethics course.

And open an ACE account.

I can also post the spreadsheets for all 4 schools in a little bit.

Then, her best bet is to start working on courses that will work at 2/3/4 schools, get those out of the way, so that she has all available options when she has to decide. For instance, she needs Speech, American Government, & English Comp II at Patten, TESU & COSC - although not at WVNCC, but it would be useful.

Hope that helps! Good luck to her.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
Yeah, the BOG AAS would definitely be the cheapest, but just keep in mind that it's an AAS not an AA or AS. If that matters.

She has to take 15cr at a CC or 4-yr school, which she has done. I think at this point, she can take the rest as ACE credits and she's good.

So she could do all of the free stuff, and then ALEKS if it's renewed, she, Shmoop, Saylor, etc. to save as much as possible.

I got mine at WVNCC, there were absolutely no fees. So the only cost was sending the transcripts.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I forgot to post this, I've been a little busy.  Since your friend has 15cr at a CC, then she is eligible for the WVNCC BOG AAS.  I would highly recommend it, after she completes the rest of the credits.

I would probably plan out a BA/BS at one of the Big 3 (or one of the competency-based programs) so that she's killing 2 birds with one stone.  Doesn't do much good to spend money getting credits only to have them not be able to be used going forward.

For instance, English Comp II or Speech can be used (and may be required) almost everywhere.  A math and a science as well.  Then, do 6 college-level anything courses - the free ones are a good start (11cr), and then ALEKS if it gets renewed, and maybe Saylor or Shmoop courses if cost is an issue.  Also have her apply for the Study.com scholarship.

Attached Files
.xlsx   cookderosa1 WVNCC BOG AAS.xlsx (Size: 49.56 KB / Downloads: 13)
.xlsx   cookderosa COSC AA.xlsx (Size: 51.19 KB / Downloads: 7)
.xlsx   cookderosa1 TESU AA.xlsx (Size: 26.9 KB / Downloads: 5)
.xlsx   cookderosa1 Patten AA.xlsx (Size: 53.74 KB / Downloads: 8)
(08-30-2017, 06:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yeah, the BOG AAS would definitely be the cheapest, but just keep in mind that it's an AAS not an AA or AS. If that matters.

She has to take 15cr at a CC or 4-yr school, which she has done. I think at this point, she can take the rest as ACE credits and she's good.

So she could do all of the free stuff, and then ALEKS if it's renewed, she, Shmoop, Saylor, etc. to save as much as possible.

I got mine at WVNCC, there were absolutely no fees. So the only cost was sending the transcripts.

This is the winner imo.
I posted this before I remembered about the BOG degrees. AAS / AS / AA for her won't matter in her career one bit. Thank you! I'm going to start her degree plan immediately.

(09-02-2017, 01:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I forgot to post this, I've been a little busy.  Since your friend has 15cr at a CC, then she is eligible for the WVNCC BOG AAS.  I would highly recommend it, after she completes the rest of the credits.

I would probably plan out a BA/BS at one of the Big 3 (or one of the competency-based programs) so that she's killing 2 birds with one stone.  Doesn't do much good to spend money getting credits only to have them not be able to be used going forward.

For instance, English Comp II or Speech can be used (and may be required) almost everywhere.  A math and a science as well.  Then, do 6 college-level anything courses - the free ones are a good start (11cr), and then ALEKS if it gets renewed, and maybe Saylor or Shmoop courses if cost is an issue.  Also have her apply for the Study.com scholarship.

I am EXCEPTIONALLY thankful for those files, thank you!!!!! Smile I just might have to fly out to California and give you a hug!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some guidance rfisher1977 0 716 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: rfisher1977
Big Grin TESU guidance needed please Tripletmom 8 1,926 03-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Math - Looking for Guidance Gloddy 4 1,277 12-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: bsimi
  Tesu ba psychology course guidance needed please lovewins 8 2,509 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS degree help/guidance! interocitor 2 1,064 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM
  Capstone registration guidance please :D Notgodot 4 1,356 05-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Synicaal
  Need a bit of guidance TESU BSBA in International Lagspeed 3 926 03-14-2017, 10:03 PM
  I need guidance, please help! vobrodrew 6 1,175 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Last Post: vobrodrew
  TESU: Assistance and Guidance. Fortune212 13 1,613 11-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Post: ajs1976
  In search of guidance, Bachelors for military FutureGrad 11 2,211 10-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning